Smartly dressed woman asking for money round the station last night

Last night while walking a friend to the building formerly known as the centre for popular music, we were asked for money by a very well turned-out young lady. Her story was that she had missed the last train and had her wallet stolen so could only get the coach etc etc etc.

She was in nice clothes and was well made-up and certainly didn't look like the people normally asking for money. But her story was obviously nonsense and a lie.

Did anybody else meet her and what did you think? It baffled us trying to figure it out.

If she was genuine she'd have gone straight to the nearest police officer.

You don't need to be in mucky ill fitting clothes to be a scrounger you know!

you sure it wasnt the girl off 'the real hustle'????? :hihi:

Last night while walking a friend to the building formerly known as the centre for popular music, we were asked for money by a very well turned-out young lady. Her story was that she had missed the last train and had her wallet stolen so could only get the coach etc etc etc.

She was in nice clothes and was well made-up and certainly didn't look like the people normally asking for money. But her story was obviously nonsense and a lie.

Did anybody else meet her and what did you think? It baffled us trying to figure it out.

She's been around for ages, she often harangues people in the taxi queue at the station and there's always some poor fool who falls for it :(

This is an old trick tried by different scroungers.A man with a haversack on his back stopped at our bus stop,and said he had lost his bus fare,and could we spare a copper. Nobody fell for it,but at least he didnt bother us after that. The haversack was obviosly a prop.

This is an old trick tried by different scroungers.A man with a haversack on his back stopped at our bus stop,and said he had lost his bus fare,and could we spare a copper. Nobody fell for it,but at least he didnt bother us after that. The haversack was obviosly a prop.

THE HAVERSACK WAS NOT A PROP IT WAS FOR THE MONEY HE COLLECTED

Haversack. How cute! Spare a copper! What an odd turn of phrase. I haven't heard that word for many, many years. What type of prop would a haversack make? Didn't the almost extinct job of a miner used to carry a haversack? Maybe its a throwback from the unemployment caused by Mrs T when she shut down the S Yorks coalfields. It all fits, as you could travel on S Yorks buses for a few coppers way back then. Before my time in Sheffield, but my mates keep reminding me of the good old days.

Or maybe he used to be a copper, but lost his job for not policing the coal disputes becuase of his political beliefs and family commitments. You werent' allowed to be exempt from duties in the bad old days for beliefs or values. As a result he has been wandering with his haversack looking for a job.

I am completely thrown by this one.

The sad thing with people like that is that I refuse to give anyone any change now. People trying to abuse others generosity means I'm not generous to those that probably need the cash.

Had a family friend who gave this woman 20 pounds. Is definitely a con.

Sounds like "Blonde haired hooded woman" has finally raised enough money for a wash and some clean clothes then

Sounds like "Blonde haired hooded woman" has finally raised enough money for a wash and some clean clothes then

I was just thinking the same myself ......

I got one the other day, she had a little girl with her and I reeeeeally didnt know if she was telling the truth about not being able to get home. I offered to let her use my mobile to call home and she refused and the little girl didn't seem phased by it at all.

I was thinking about her all night though, worrying if she was telling the truth. I didn't have any money myself though so I did all I could.

But there are people who would go out and beg with their children, its just wrong