The Old House closed down? Now reopened/renamed

It is open now isn`t it? Anyone been?

The official opening is next Friday, I believe.

Its been open for a couple of weeks.

went in recently and noticed a lot of green paint everywhere, the records on the wall, which I liked have all gone.

New tables and chairs to sit on.

As DnAUk said it does feel more of a cocktail bar and food place, which it was already.

Ale pumps have reduced from 6 to 4, 3 of those had True North on and 1 guest beer.

I cannot understand why the name change though, don't see the point.

Its been open for a couple of weeks.

went in recently and noticed a lot of green paint everywhere, the records on the wall, which I liked have all gone.

New tables and chairs to sit on.

As DnAUk said it does feel more of a cocktail bar and food place, which it was already.

Ale pumps have reduced from 6 to 4, 3 of those had True North on and 1 guest beer.

I cannot understand why the name change though, don't see the point.

The name change was aimed to revert back to its former identity. Some folk seem to think it`ll get confused with the Dev Cat; personally, I don`t see why, really. Those records on the wall had been there for 10 years or something like that but I`ll reserve judgement until I visit. TN usually know what they`re doing imho.

The name change was aimed to revert back to its former identity. Some folk seem to think it`ll get confused with the Dev Cat; personally, I don`t see why, really. Those records on the wall had been there for 10 years or something like that but I`ll reserve judgement until I visit. TN usually know what they`re doing imho.

Maybe the point is to get it confused with the Dev Cat. It certainly looks rather similar now! The bar area at least.

Official opening for The Devonshire tonight. I can understand that folk are sceptical about the Dev Cat because of what it looks like inside now but the beer! wow

Went in on Saturday. I will retract my comment that it is now a cocktail bar. More of a tea room. Keg beers that were on were OK. The cask that a mate got was decidedly ropey. Being BlackJack we put that down to condition rather than the beer itself. Bit of a poor show for a brewery tap.

Guest makapaka
Went in on Saturday. I will retract my comment that it is now a cocktail bar. More of a tea room. Keg beers that were on were OK. The cask that a mate got was decidedly ropey. Being BlackJack we put that down to condition rather than the beer itself. Bit of a poor show for a brewery tap.

Wow I'm amazed you don't like it......it's almost like you'd made your mind up before going in.....

Wow I'm amazed you don't like it......it's almost like you'd made your mind up before going in.....

If I had done that then I wouldn't have gone in, now, would I? Come on...work it out... You aren't that thick, surely? ;)

Be interesting to see what you think of it.

I liked it. TBH , it`s not my sort of place at all but I can appreciate the attention to detail and the thought that has gone into the refurb. I had a few pints of Great Heck which was fine and in decent nick whilst the OH had a load of lovingly made cocktails. Nice staff too.

Guest makapaka
If I had done that then I wouldn't have gone in, now, would I? Come on...work it out... You aren't that thick, surely? ;)

Be interesting to see what you think of it.

Thick? Nice.

You were lining yourself up not to like it - admit it.

I rarely go out on Division Street but will try it next time i do.

I liked it. TBH , it`s not my sort of place at all but I can appreciate the attention to detail and the thought that has gone into the refurb. I had a few pints of Great Heck which was fine and in decent nick whilst the OH had a load of lovingly made cocktails. Nice staff too.

Attention to detail like the chandelier made out of a tea service you mean? I suppose it's nice enough if you like to drink in Bettys. Not really suited to quaffing a nice pint of beer. Which is odd considering who owns it. But each to their own.

As for the staff - I think we upset the greeter by simply taking a seat rather than waiting to be seated. She didn't say anything as 4 of us were sat in a 4-seater booth. But I noticed she moved on a couple who had similarly sat in a 4-seater a bit later.

---------- Post added 18-09-2017 at 15:52 ----------

Thick? Nice.

You were lining yourself up not to like it - admit it.

I rarely go out on Division Street but will try it next time i do.

I have always said I like True North pubs - especially the Broadfield and the York. For my money they could do with investing a little more in brewing ability than ripping out a classic pub and turning into a tea room. I used to like the Old House tho will admit it had got a little tired. I do think the refurb is rather out of character tho. I'm not entirely sure what market they are going for here.

BTW, I did say I DIDN'T think you were that thick. And see the winky face after? Indicating a joke? But hey, if you're not going to bother with the details then maybe you are. ;)

Edited by DnAuK

So is it a cocktail bar or a tea room? :confused: (Isn`t it safer just to say that it`s just another place you don`t like?).

So is it a cocktail bar or a tea room? :confused: (Isn`t it safer just to say that it`s just another place you don`t like?).

Maybe you should read my previous post where, following my visit, I claimed it was now more of a tea room than the cocktail bar it always tried to be. It's not hard to find :)

Yes it's another place I don't like. I am free to express that opinion. Unlike many on here who write reviews of places and dare not say a bad word about them for fear of being ostracised. It's the same with beer. Lost count of the people that I have been drinking with who have not liked something and yet given it a much higher than average review because they don't want to upset anyone.

Personally I have no problem with upsetting people and would rather say what I think. Simply because only then do you get balance.