Bus service changes in Sheffield - September 2017

I just hope the timing tweaks for the "minor route change" for the 201 and any changes needed to interwork with the 57 don't affect the timings between Chapeltown/Wentworth, it currently being the only way to get to that estate early in the morning if you don't drive.

As from September the bus no longer goes to Dore, just had a look at the new timetable and map.

Decided to risk catching it again today what a performance firstly it nearly failed to make surprise hill stalling twice probably due to the fact it was so old then having to divert by the halamshire on the way back and getting stuck in traffic when I think how good that service used to be it seemed to fly to castleton and back!

Any idea when the timetables come out for these? I'm very interested in what routes the 3/3a and 36 will do and whether the timetables will allow me to stay in bed a little longer in the morning...

Thanks for posting.

Majority of new timetables now available at travelsouthyorkshire.com

Me too they have ruined what was a reliable fast service,its particularly bad in the afternoon with full buses due to schools and taking ages to get back due to picking up local passengers on Eccelsall rd and going via Dore.

I don't know what the changes are that you refer to, but I catch the 272 fairly often from Hathersage and it's frequently late, by as much as 15 minutes sometimes.

Here is a summary of changes officially published with timetables so far at http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com

2 (265) Sheffield-Barnsley

Buses will run from Moorfoot instead of Sheffield Interchange, there will also be changes to the timetable and route number.

18/18a/19 Sheffield-Norton Lees-Gleadless-Meadowhall

Timetable change on route 18 with some poorly used early morning and evening journeys withdrawn. Some school time journeys diverted to become school bus service 718, replacing cancelled Brightbus service. Route 18a withdrawn. Route 19 introduced combining with route 18 to provide a half hourly service Sheffield-Woodseats then running via Abbey Lane to Chancet Wood.

20 Hemsworth-Ecclesfield

Timetable change. Some school time journeys diverted to serve Newfield School.

22a/22c Sheffield-Rotherham-Manvers-Wath

Some journeys extended to/from Sheffield via the Parkway.

24/25 Woodhouse-City-Lowedges-Bradway

Timetable change

31/31a/31b City-Walkley-Hillsborough-Loxley

Timetable change. Saturday journeys on route 31a will operate a different route in Walkley and be numbered 31b.

36 City-Grimethorpe-Wincobank-Meadowhall-Blackburn-Wingfield

Replaces withdrawn services 35 and 43.

38/38a Hillsborough-Firth Park-Meadowhall

Timetable change. Some poorly used early morning and evening journeys withdrawn

51/51a Lodge Moor-Charnock

Timetable change. Certain school time journeys diverted to serve King Edward VII school and renumbered 51a.

56 Herdings-Wybourn

Timetable change

57 Sheffield-Stocksbridge

Timetable change with off peak frequency reduction. Daytime journeys will run through to Chapeltown as service 201.

72 Sheffield-Crystal Peaks-Killamarsh-Chesterfield

Timetable change

72/72a Chapeltown-Manvers

timetable change

74 Sheffield-Attercliffe-Catcliffe-Treeton-Harthill

74/74a Sheffield-Manor Top-Richmond-Handsworth-Waverley-Catcliffe-Treeton-Brinsworth-Rotherham

Monday to Saturday service withdrawn and replaced by a new X54 Sheffield-Harthill. A new route 74/74a introduced Mon-Sat replacing other withdrawn services.

75/76 Batemoor/Lowedges-Woodseats-City-Firth Park-Shiregreen

Timetable change

83/83a Ecclesfield-City-Bents Green/Fulwood

Timetable change. Some school time journeys will become school service 783 and divert to Parkwood Academy.

87 Sheffield-Meadowhall-Maltby

Timetable change

88 Chapeltown-Bents Green

Timetable change

95 City-Walkley

Timetable change

97/98 Hillsborough-Shirecliffe-City-Totley/Totley Brook

Timetable change

120 Fulwood-Halfway

Timetable change

181 Dore-University of Sheffield

Timetable change. Some trips will be replaced by new school bus 781.

201 Chapeltown-Stocksbridge

Route change, will now serve Fox Valley retail park. Will continue to Sheffield as service 57.

271/272 Sheffield-Castleton

Timetable change

737 Sheffield-Doncaster Sheffield Airport

New limited stop service to airport

X5/X54/X55 Sheffield-Swallownest-Aston-Dinnington/Harthill

Timetable and route changes

X65 Meadowhall-Barnsley

Will run Saturdays and Sundays only

X78 Sheffield-Doncaster

Timetable change.

Hi,

Can you please confirm that there will only be hourly buses from Margate Drive to the city ?

Why hasnt there been proper consultation on this - it will affect a lot of people ?

Thanks for the updates Andy I notice a lot of changes and they seem to have been done very quietly

Where I live in Beauchief we have gone from 8 buses an hour (which I accept was excessive) to 4 with the initial "improvements" ,we will now be down too 2 an hour including peak times.

Edited by Fudbeer

Are the 35/85 changes going ahead as they are not listed by the SYPTE as future changes .

Guest busdriver1
Decided to risk catching it again today what a performance firstly it nearly failed to make surprise hill stalling twice probably due to the fact it was so old then having to divert by the halamshire on the way back and getting stuck in traffic when I think how good that service used to be it seemed to fly to castleton and back!

The major reduction in reimbursement for carrying OAP's and other concessions coupled in with the PTE retaining BSOG money means operators are trying their best to get more people on all routes to balance the books. This means at times services are diverted to provide more journey opportunities thus increasing usership.

The alternative is to reduce the service. Take your choice. I think you have the better alternative at the minute.

Anyone using the 271/2 service to get to/from Derbyshire should be thankful the service is on the whole comercially viable enough to continue in some form. If you weren't aware subsidies to bus services are beng significantly cut this side of the border, taking effect in October.

The below announcement has been made today and as much as this article is portrayed positively, in reality it may well see further subsidised scheduled services withdrawn to be replaced with services you must pre book on before you travel:-

http://www.chesterfield.co.uk/2017/08/derbyshire-connect-services-rolled-countywide/

Edited by chessie

Note not all the new timetables are published yet, they will only appear on the list at http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/servicechanges/ when they have been so currently the list is not comprehensive.

Some of the buses that cross into Derbyshire such as the 26/26a Crystal Peaks-Kiveton Park, which is getting some extra trips to serve Wales Comp following the end of Brightbus school buses, can be found already on the Derbyshire County Council timetable website here: https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_transport/timetables/default.asp

Also an anomaly I've noticed with the network changes involves the service to Harthill - route 74 is withdrawn Mon-Sat and replaced with the new X54, bus the Sunday service 74 operated by TM Travel funded by SYPTE will continue to run unchanged as a 74 - rather confusing given that there will be a new number 74 from Sheffield to Rotherham (but not on Sundays) and SYPTE have put both 74s in the same leaflet!

---------- Post added 17-08-2017 at 13:15 ----------

Note not all the new timetables are published yet, they will only appear on the list at http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/servicechanges/ when they have been so currently the list is not comprehensive.

Some of the buses that cross into Derbyshire such as the 26/26a Crystal Peaks-Kiveton Park, which is getting some extra trips to serve Wales Comp following the end of Brightbus school buses, can be found already on the Derbyshire County Council timetable website here: https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_transport/timetables/default.asp

Also an anomaly I've noticed with the network changes involves the service to Harthill - route 74 is withdrawn Mon-Sat and replaced with the new X54, bus the Sunday service 74 operated by TM Travel funded by SYPTE will continue to run unchanged as a 74 - rather confusing given that there will be a new number 74 from Sheffield to Rotherham (but not on Sundays) and SYPTE have put both 74s in the same leaflet!

New timetables now available for:

1, 1a, 2, 3, 3a, 7, 7a, 8, 8a, 18, 18a, 19, 20, 22a, 22c, 24, 25, 26, 26a, 27, 29, 31, 31a, 31b, 32, 35, 36, 38, 38a, 43, 44, 51, 51a, 56, 57, 57a, 72, 72a, 73, 73a, 74, 74a, 75, 76, 81, 82, 83, 83a, 85, 86, 87, 88, 95, 97, 98, 120, 181, 201, 271, 272, 737, X1, X5, X54, X55, X65, X78

Edited by Andy C

I see that from 3rd September, getting from Stocksbridge into the city centre or even Hillsborough is going to be even more of a pain, thanks to Stagecoach reducing the already infrequent 57 service - forcing more people onto the Middlewood tram.

Do people not deserve better, rather than been forced onto the tram at Middlewood?

How many people who commute or even car drivers, would consider using the bus if it was more frequent (like in the days when First ran the 57/58 services, before Stagecoach poached the custom and forced them to withdraw)?