Strange Pub Names

my bold

it would have been an excellent choice after all, there are plenty of pubs called **** in.

Thank you kidley, and you're right, my point being the term 'Sheffield' in a pub's title, was there another ?

What about pubs that had names that didn't take much imagination or thinking about ? The Sheffield Arms (Upwell Street) for instance, they might have called it Grimesthorpe this or that to reflect the area, 'Upwell Inn' might not have been a wise choice tho'.

I know it’s obvious..cos it was surrounded by cutlery firms ..but to someone who does not know about terms ....it’s not so obvious

What about pubs that had names that didn't take much imagination or thinking about ? The Sheffield Arms (Upwell Street) for instance, they might have called it Grimesthorpe this or that to reflect the area, 'Upwell Inn' might not have been a wise choice tho'.

Mid 70s, I was staying at a pub called The Wrestlers Arms at St. Neots near Cambridge, while working in the area. Some locals called it Billy's after Mohawk wrestler Billy Two Rivers.

I know it’s obvious..cos it was surrounded by cutlery firms ..but to someone who does not know about terms ....it’s not so obvious

The Ram More Inn bus stop was always a favorite with cheeky bus conductors!

They also used to make fun of my street, Hard Up Road!

**** inn and pleasant inn both at Oughtibridge.the first word is the male of a chicken.

Edited by choogling

The Sheffield Arms is a perfectly sensible name to give to a pub which attracted its custom from Sheffield. Brightside and Grimethorpe were separate villages and were not considered as part of Sheffield until the 1840s when they became townships.

Upwell Street is an ancient route.

This was a description of Brightside written in 1838:

"The pleasantness of its situation has caused Brightside to be much frequented by pleasure parties from Sheffield. On every fine Sabbath especially, the sallow artizan may be seen wending his way thither, to inhale the freshness of the country air, and enjoy the beautiful and extensive prospect which the hill affords. "

"...and the consequence (of the opening of the railway in 1838) is, that the publicans of Brightside have the mortification of beholding their quondam customers gliding past their very doors to consign to the pockets of the more fortunate retailers of spirits in a more distant town(Rotherham), those gains which they had been accustomed to calculate upon as theirs."

---------- Post added 15-12-2017 at 10:53 ----------

**** inn and pleasant inn both at Oughtibridge.the first word is the male of a chicken.

The "****" in "The **** Inn" is a horse.

[

[/color]

I personally would not have thought it meant any thing els:hihi: ride a **** horse to Banbury cross and all that.

[

[/color]

I personally would not have thought it meant any thing els:hihi: ride a **** horse to Banbury cross and all that.

As its already been mentioned, a **** Horse was a stronger horse added to another horse to help pull a larger load, but it was to pull canal barges not wagons as they already had one, two, four or six horses in the traces.

---------- Post added 15-12-2017 at 14:26 ----------

Just why is the name of a horse being edited? P.C. brigade strike again, use your own common sense.

As its already been mentioned, a **** Horse was a stronger horse added to another horse to help pull a larger load, but it was to pull canal barges not wagons as they already had one, two, four or six horses in the traces.

The rhyme about Banbury cross predates the Oxford Canal by over a hundred years.

Pubs and hotels associated with a CockHorse also predate canals and have a history of stabling horse on demanding routes.

The association with canals is probable but not the origin of the term.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

The rhyme about Banbury cross predates the Oxford Canal by over a hundred years.

Pubs and hotels associated with a CockHorse also predate canals and have a history of stabling horse on demanding routes.

The association with canals is probable but not the origin of the term.

The cockhorse is a clue in its self, the **** is the top one in its class, an abbreviation of Cockerel, so the Cockhorse was the strongest , it may pre-date canals but its inextricably linked to canal boats.

---------- Post added 17-12-2017 at 09:25 ----------

The cockhorse is a clue in its self, the **** is the top one in its class, an abbreviation of Cockerel, so the Cockhorse was the strongest , it may pre-date canals but its inextricably linked to canal boats.

Give me strength, censored again.