Ashes 2017/18..

We are at another massive point in the test.

We need a big opening session tonight to move things in our favour of getting something from the test. A couple of the Aussies are still capable defensively with the bat and likewise are capable of knocking a few runs, Cummins being a priome example of this in the first test.

An early wicket or two could see us skittle them out before too much damage has been done. If we do this early enough then we will see if we are capable of a run chase...The lads haven't done enough to give much optimism as of yet HOWEVER they are capable players when on form and anything is possible in the ashes.

It's the massive points we're losing though (we won all the massive points when we last played the Aussies in England). The average 4th innings score is 213 and the Aussies are 50 in front of that already. Maybe if we bowl them out for under a ton (remote, but possibly - this batch of Aussies aren't THAT good) it could instill a certain amount of belief but we've still got too many batsmen determined to give their wicket away - it's a mindset that I can't see changing in is test. What will probably happen is that come tests 4 and 5 (maybe 3) we will go too far the other way and not play a shot in anger and get picked off that way. Bowled badly in their first innings and batted badly in ours, we're too far behind I'm afraid.

Dare I say,38 for 0 and attacking which we have to do,we can pad up for hours but they will get us,keep scoring and it puts the pressure on.

This is another bad innings from cook just when we needed a good start. Time to have a think about his position I think. Pressure on Root and Vince now. Time to step up to mark ashes could be over today

This is another bad innings from cook just when we needed a good start. Time to have a think about his position I think. Pressure on Root and Vince now. Time to step up to mark ashes could be over today

Given the amount he's scored around the globe, he's still got some credit in the bank. And who would replace him? I'm still not convinced we've replaced Strauss properly yet!

Cooks last 10 innings (newest first) 16,37,7,2, 17,10, 23,11,243,10.

If Root can stay in and set up a good partnership it will make it interesting and put some pressure on the aussies . Not impressed with cooks last 10 is it any better than say Balance . Is it just me or does anyone else feels like giving lyons a slap , what with all smiles and gestures on every ball he bowls .:D

If Root can stay in and set up a good partnership it will make it interesting and put some pressure on the aussies . Not impressed with cooks last 10 is it any better than say Balance . Is it just me or does anyone else feels like giving lyons a slap , what with all smiles and gestures on every ball he bowls .:D

Another 50 from Root would make things very, very interesting. A great deal of pressure on his shoulders, not only as a captain but also as our most capable batsman. He took a great deal of "sledging" on his chin last night and after a few wobbles he grew into the innings comfortably enough.

We've been a bit patchy but Moeen and Bairstow are more than capable of adding some to the total and the latter in particular, I hope will have his back up a bit? especially after all the rubbish he had to take from the Ausssies in the last test and the last innings.

Overton's 41 off 79 was decent enough too, I know it's a big ask for him to replicate this over and over but he is more than capable of putting together a total as well.

The first hour is massive! If we ride out the early storm that we are bound to get, each minute afterwards will frustrate the hosts even more than it did last night.

Recent form says advantage Aussies still however potential still says that we are very much capable of chasing it down. Never the less a very exciting point in the test and a possibly huge turning point in the series!

Edited by sheffstats

If moeen and bairstow just can put a 50 in each which is not too much to ask , it can happen. A good few overs to go tomorrow before new ball . Root and woakes are the key they need to keep in . A ton and a fifty will take the edge off aussie bowlers before new ball. Come on England . I am knackered getting up to watch it.

I'm still not brimming with confidence. But we've improved a bit and shown a bit of fight. I reckon Root will go in the first half an hour, the rest by mid way through the second session at best.

BUT. If we break records, fly in the face of history and logic and win this test, the wheels will fly of the Aussie wagon with some force. The media will turn on them and if the first session of the third test isn't going well, the fans will turn too. From a position of strength they could have lost a test they really shouldn't have.

Lots of ifs and buts there though.

Well at long last they bowled a fuller lenght and all of a sudden,we started taking wickets,maybe learnt our lesson too late,but its poised nicely,but with our fragile batting optimism isnt too high,but something to build on going to Perth,which is like lightening.

Ouch both batsmen walk within the first few overs!

Big ask now. Would make it ridiculously special however doubtful now.

Well at least got back to bed within about an hour same old rubbish no backbone didn't look interested wanted to get back to pub I think. Not bother getting up for next matches whitewash on way possibly