Strange Pub Names

Not in Sheffield but, 'The Rest and Be Thankful' at Wheddon Cross, nr Watchet. Damn good Sunday Carvery it is too.

There was a nice Pub in Middleton, Manchester called Who'd A Thowt It, the building is still there and maybe it's name was apt because who'd a thought it would be, what it is nowadays. Bet you can't guess

"Legh Arms" north of Macclesfield on the scenic route from Sheffield to North Wales.

There is a pub near Hayle in Cornwall called The Bucket of Blood, nice pub though.

Reading about Cyclops in Sheffield reminds me when I worked at the Cyclops Works for about eight years as a maintenance electrician. About the late 70s, the factory had a 12,000 tonne press that could flatten steel plates up to a foot thick. The cranes used to be driven by women as well as men and I remember one called Ivy who could curse as good as she got, the reason they got rid of the women crane drivers was because by law they had to have their own toilets and British Steel decided it was time to go, before that toilets were shared. The company used to be owned by Cammell Laird and over the main gate was a large wooden camel, one day whilst working in the pump house we found a big wooden camels head in a cupboard which we gave to the then Manager David Guy. The main line of production when I worked there was armoured plate profile cut for the armies Challenger Tank which was sent to VSSEL a company in the north east who built the Challenger Tank. Just to finish, some of the over head cranes were AC and some were DC big control gear and the tower on Carlisle Street is the main high voltage sub station.

Edited by DP051153
When Sheffield was king of steel.

i saw something on here about Byards Leap up on Norfolk park.

Wasn't Byard a magical horse or unicorn or something....

When the place was built in 1964 there were a number of horsey clues included in the fabric of the building, such as sets of horseshoes set into the tarmac outside the front door and a hoop to tie your horse up set into the wall at the top of the front steps. All of these were quickly lost through various repairs and developments in the later sixties.

Fox and Duck rings a bell but can't locate it in my head. Used to go in the Fox and Grapes at the other end of Hadfields/ Millspaugh, but only when doing the odd night shift at shutdown time

there was a fox and duck on pyebank road now demolished

---------- Post added 01-11-2017 at 15:48 ----------

There is a rough pub on Manchester road Stockbridge lots of trouble fighting etc the police even installed a cctv camera on a nearby street pole, ironically its called the friendship the pub sign featured a pair of hands shaking. There used to be another pub of the same name at darnall near the canal both were stones pubs at one time

There's a Fox and Duck at Broomhill, John Smiths it used to be.

The Closed Shop and the North Pole. Not to mention the Bull & Mouth in Waingate. The name has nothing to do with livestock - it commemorates a naval victory at the "mouth" of a French harbour "Boulogne Mouth". :)

That's interesting about the Bull & Mouth. I remember that pub very well and never knew that. Another interesting fact I found out about pub names, the **** Inn, at Oughtibridge has nothing to do with what I thought it was to do with. It's about a chicken!

---------- Post added 09-11-2017 at 08:56 ----------

How about this one?

http://www.go4awalk.com/walkphotographs/peterradcliff1.jpg

"The Quiet Woman", at Earl Sterndale, in Derbyshire.

Rather an unusual name for a pub - and rather a controversial pub sign too! I'm surprised the Feminazi haven't complained about it before now?

I love the caption "Soft words turneth away wrath". Indeed they do.

... the **** Inn, at Oughtibridge has nothing to do with what I thought it was to do with. It's about a chicken![.

No. The CockInn refers to the cockhorses which were kept there.

"A horse added to a team of horses to assist a wagon through high water or over difficult terrain".

That's interesting about the Bull & Mouth. I remember that pub very well and never knew that. Another interesting fact I found out about pub names, the **** Inn, at Oughtibridge has nothing to do with what I thought it was to do with. It's about a chicken!

---------- Post added 09-11-2017 at 08:56 ----------

How about this one?

http://www.go4awalk.com/walkphotographs/peterradcliff1.jpg

"The Quiet Woman", at Earl Sterndale, in Derbyshire.

Rather an unusual name for a pub - and rather a controversial pub sign too! I'm surprised the Feminazi haven't complained about it before now?

I love the caption "Soft words turneth away wrath". Indeed they do.

No. The CockInn refers to the cockhorses which were kept there.

"A horse added to a team of horses to assist a wagon through high water or over difficult terrain".

i wonder what Derby Tup thought ?