Council tree felling...

Council just annouced they are not going to fell the healthy trees on Western Rd because of Armistice...thats something they have done...though one would like to know they wont change their minds in a few years.

Oddly enough a year ago SCC said that none of the 23 condemned Western Road trees could be saved because it would cost £300K and would require 5m-long pavement build-outs into road for each tree (along with the loss of 35 parking spaces). Now they've just checked again, and all but 3 trees (the dying ones) can be saved, with only 5 built-outs, and at no cost to SCC.

Oddly enough a year ago SCC said that none of the 23 condemned Western Road trees could be saved because it would cost £300K and would require 5m-long pavement build-outs into road for each tree (along with the loss of 35 parking spaces). Now they've just checked again, and all but 3 trees (the dying ones) can be saved, with only 5 built-outs, and at no cost to SCC.

They also stated that the trees could cause the houses to be flooded and become un-insurable. I wonder if this is still the case, or were they just scare tactics to garner support from the residents for the fellings? :suspect:

The farce continues! I'm pleased the council back-tracked in this case but it must be frustrating for the residents of streets who have already seemingly needlessly lost their beloved trees.

Well done STAG.

Hey I missed this one.

Silly images of the street. That's weak isn't it. I put up some evidence and the best you can do is call actual photos of the street in question 'silly'.

I guess we've proven that you were exaggerating weren't you.

Which explains why you went quiet and only makapaka is left arguing about a point (having carefully forgotten the context of it of course).

---------- Post added 19-09-2018 at 11:13 ----------

That context being (to remind you makapaka) that bendix was claiming the opposite. The silent majority he claimed were in favour of tree removal.

I only claimed the opposite to make it clear how silly the claim is. And I acknowledged that it was anecdotal at the time. See posts 2147 and thereabouts.

I went quiet because i don't really care about the issue and figure it's not worth expending effort on. :hihi:

Council just annouced they are not going to fell the healthy trees on Western Rd because of Armistice...thats something they have done...though one would like to know they wont change their minds in a few years.

Great news! :love:That road is beautiful!

If you like Bendix.

Have you ever written a post and decided . . nahh, just for once I'm not going to share it with the rest of the world?

You should try it now and again. Really.

You keep coming back, but you're not going to explain why the google pictures of the street don't count... Is that the post you decided not to post, you should post it, I'm fascinated.

Walked down Sandford Grove Road yesterday. All the trees that were earmarked for felling well over a year ago are still there. And guess what? SCC / Amey have just re-tarmac all the pavements on both sides right round the trees.

Brilliant!, maybe the council are seeing sense? Sheffield's Green City status is as important (nearly) as it's association with steel.