Before bathrooms

Around 1939 the lower Manor Estate had inside bathrooms (an offshoot of the kitchen) and a inside toilet, I also seem to remember a small coal place next to the toilet in a short corridor that was a offshoot through the back door.

Every room except the living room (coal fired) was cold in winter

Click on this link for more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manor,_South_Yorkshire

Whoops, I did not use the quote button,

this post is a reply for "ianparkin"

Edited by alankearn

Would houses built in the 1830’s 1860’s have inside facilities? From new?

Hi Zach that sounds like Blake Street,steep and cobbled!.

my house was built in 1900 and had no water or sanitation but had a well in the cellar and an outside privy in a stone built outhouse down the garden. Water and gas were installed in the 1960s when the area was developed.

Yep, sounds all too familiar - but we were posh, we had a Tilley lamp instead of a candle!.:) I'd forgotten the spiders but you're dead right Billam. Here is a photo of the back of our long-gone house.

You had a nicely painted door though.. Just before we emigrated to Australia in 1968, we had a little two up and two down, no bathroom, toilet and coalhouse outside, when it was freezing outside and I needed to go toilet, I would have to put the kids coats and gloves on to take them with me, and we would all squeeze in there, I tried to judge it when my hubby was home, the good old days..

Some houses on the flower estate had a bath in the kitchen - not a bathroom but just in the corner area with board over to cover it when not in use. The toilet was reached from outside but the back wall of it butted up the side wall of the bath area so it wasn't separate to the house - it was part of it. It was c1965 that they had an extension built to accomadate a new bathroom and the kitchen itself was made larger by using the old toilet and bath area.

I grew up in our Cottage with no Bathroom. Outside loo was down 13 steps, along a path, then round the corner of the Coal House. ( Thank goodness for the poe )  It was 'Top & Tail' during the week, an extra one if you were going out. And as for most of us, Sunday night was Bath night in front of the fire with the Tin Bath.  The Towel and Nightdress warming  on the rug by the hearth. Then a cup of hot milk and a bicci. Lovely!  It was just the way life was for us back then wasn' t it, we didn't know any different. My Mum's landlord  got a grant and had her a bathroom fitted in 1978, I was married by then.

We had no bathroom until the mid 70's, used to have a block of four outside toilets with green ledged and braced doors, inside was white washed walls with a high level WC and a rusty toilet roll holder, bath time was a tin bath dragged in from outside (after you'd knocked the snow off it in winter) placed in front of the gas fire and filled from the wall mounted gas boiler with buckets, the side by the fire got so hot you couldn't go near it and the bath leaked so newspapers were placed on the flor.

White privilege.

i lived down parkwood springs/neepsend til i was about 11 we had a tin bath which was kept at the top of the cellar steps, when we had a bath it was put in front room in front of the coal fire my mum and dad filled it with saucepans of water which where boiled on the oven,i can remember my parents getting in it first then us kids you had to be careful touching the side nearest the fire cos it was hot, the toilet was outside across the yard down a little alley was about a block of 4 at night time if we wanted a pee was a bucket top of stairs..later on we moved up to shirecliffe inside toilet and a bath with taps..luxury

I well remember my grandparents outside toilet on Broughton Road freezing in winter, and squares of newspaper for wiping your backside. Granddad whitewashed it every year. The bath hung on a stout nail, a outside the back door. They've been gone well over forty years now, but I still cherish the memories. 

And everyone seemed to smell of carbolic soap. I remember going to my aunts for a bath, there were nine of us so we got farmed out. I must have been about 8 or 9 and as I was getting in the bath beside the fire when my female, younger cousin came in and pointed to my nether region and said "mam what is that" to which my aunt replied "that is none of your business". We still have a laugh about it when I see my cousin.

Would love to know when lead plumbing was discontinued ,i have just done a refurb of my bathroom and had to rip out the old lead water, waste  and gas pipes the bath waste pipe had rotted through and was soaking the hall ceiling ,the house was built about 1900.

3 hours ago, Kidorry said:

And everyone seemed to smell of carbolic soap. I remember going to my aunts for a bath, there were nine of us so we got farmed out. I must have been about 8 or 9 and as I was getting in the bath beside the fire when my female, younger cousin came in and pointed to my nether region and said "mam what is that" to which my aunt replied "that is none of your business". We still have a laugh about it when I see my cousin.

Sounds daft but i love the smell of carbolic soap, don't suppose its still sold.