Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I think most of the comments on here are not about the homeless , but about the people who are pretending to be homeless to get money for drugs/drink , but you will come up for an excuse for that

I agree. My friend bought a beggar a sandwich and drink instead of giving him money. He threw it casually over his shoulder and the look of disappointment on his face said it all.!

In a previous job I went out at 6am every Thursday morning with PCSOs and workers from Turning Point's rough sleeper service to have a chat with rough sleepers and see if they could be helped.

Things may have changed due to economic downturn, government policy, council cuts etc but I can say with a degree of certainty that 4 years ago if a rough sleeper wanted help Turning Point, The Archer Project and others could get them off the street fairly quickly.

Point being, most of the folk asking for money in city centre, aren't homeless, although that doesn't mean they're not without issues. Unfortunately there are some for whom it is at best a lifestyle and at worst a profession.

If you want to help, as I'm sure has been said on here many times, give the money to one of the local charities.

It's a real tragedy that people in our mainly affluent country have nowhere to live. Before I worked in a housing job I was niaive enough to think that if they were given somewhere to live all would be well. However I've witnessed the failure of tenancies, even when there has been decent support, for all sorts of reasons, including alcohol and drugs.

I'd rather support the Archer Project or Bens Centre than give to someone on the street. I haven't bought the Big Issue for years, although I used to. Times have changed, and it's sadly impossible to know who is genuine and who is playing on the good will and/or guilt of ordinary people.

The last person I gave money to was a young woman outside Tesco opposite the Cathedral. I also suggested she could get help from the Archer, but she was very derogatory about the project and from what I could understand she'd been banned from it.

I knew someone who was such a mess he didn't function in society any longer. You could give him a place to live and a little money but he was all messed up. He ended up committing suicide.

There were people who wanted to help him in all sorts of ways but it simply didn't work.

It's a real tragedy that people in our mainly affluent country have nowhere to live. Before I worked in a housing job I was niaive enough to think that if they were given somewhere to live all would be well. However I've witnessed the failure of tenancies, even when there has been decent support, for all sorts of reasons, including alcohol and drugs.

I'd rather support the Archer Project or Bens Centre than give to someone on the street. I haven't bought the Big Issue for years, although I used to. Times have changed, and it's sadly impossible to know who is genuine and who is playing on the good will and/or guilt of ordinary people.

The last person I gave money to was a young woman outside Tesco opposite the Cathedral. I also suggested she could get help from the Archer, but she was very derogatory about the project and from what I could understand she'd been banned from it.

It seems that something has happened recently. I've noticed a marked increase in the number of down and outs around the area I work in (University/Hallamshire Hospital area). Maybe they've been moved on from somewhere else?

There's a lad whose patch is outside the Sainsburys near the tram stop. The other morning he was asleep on the pavement, right in the midle of rush hour, dozens of people walking past. Lord knows how you sleep in those circumstances. All you could see was a sleeping bag with a hat poking out of it. Tragic.

The problem has defiantly got worse over the last few months.

Visiting town on Sunday evening you are now constantly asked for change around the Division street area.

Most are pleasant but have seen a few be quite aggressive.

It seems that something has happened recently. I've noticed a marked increase in the number of down and outs around the area I work in (University/Hallamshire Hospital area). Maybe they've been moved on from somewhere else?

There's a lad whose patch is outside the Sainsburys near the tram stop. The other morning he was asleep on the pavement, right in the midle of rush hour, dozens of people walking past. Lord knows how you sleep in those circumstances. All you could see was a sleeping bag with a hat poking out of it. Tragic.

Well, I suppose you could use drugs or alcohol.....

The point I'm making is that substances such as these remove people from an unbearable reality.

I wonder how many of them are on drugs because they're on the streets, rather than being on the streets because of drugs. I think we shouldn't be too quick to judge until we've experienced being lost and homeless.

Edited by Anna B

The problem has defiantly got worse over the last few months.

Visiting town on Sunday evening you are now constantly asked for change around the Division street area.

Most are pleasant but have seen a few be quite aggressive.

A chap this morning (I would say he 'looked homeless' but that's not ideal) was wandering down West St at 9am and tried to punch three random people for no reason.

Not pleasant for those going to work, but equally, he must have some demons I'm sure.

For comedy value though, I went to the cash machine, and was asked for change by someone. When I pointed out I had no change, she told me she takes notes. I'm sure you do love! Here, have a £20 note!

I think we seem to be going through an epidemic of mental illness, and when I look at the world, I'm not surprised.

There's little or no help out there, with long waiting lists at best. And even when there is, there's no magic wand that can make everything alright.

I think we seem to be going through an epidemic of mental illness, and when I look at the world, I'm not surprised.

There's little or no help out there, with long waiting lists at best. And even when there is, there's no magic wand that can make everything alright.

Something that frustrates me is people who self diagnose.

How often do we hear 'Oh I can't do that - I'm OCD'. No. You're not. You just have traits which mean you like things tidy. Casually claiming such things downplay genuine illness and trivialise it.

(Ditto 'I'm bi-polar. That's why I'm snapping at you'. No, you're just being a cow.)

Well, I suppose you could use drugs or alcohol.....

The point I'm making is that substances such as these remove people from an unbearable reality.

I wonder how many of them are on drugs because they're on the streets, rather than being on the streets because of drugs. I think we shouldn't be too quick to judge until we've experienced being lost and homeless.

Absolutely. I thought the same.

What seemed so bad though was the vulnerability. To be spark out in the middle of the pavement with hordes of commuters going past. Very sad. There but for the grace of ....

Edited by Olive

Absolutely. I thought the same.

What seemed so bad though was the vulnerability. To be spark out in the middle of the pavement with hordes of commuters going past. Very sad. There but for the grace of ....

It is sad. But what's the solution? Hostels? Many of them won't accept people under the influence of drink and drugs. A tenancy? That means benefits have to be spent on rent, council tax, water etc. Not everyone is able to cope with what most of us are used to. It is obvious though that not everyone can access the mental health or social services they need.

The majority of families support each other, if adult children fall on hard times parents step up and vice versa. But that's not the case for all, or for those with no families.