Had the interview, got the job?

After recently being in the market for a job and knowing that recruitment agencies rarely get back to you if your CV doesn't interest them, you'd think it might be a bit more likely to hear back after having face to face interviews.

I'd had a few instances of having face to face interviews and being told I'd find out 2 days or so afterwards, to then hear nothing for a week or more. I think it's downright rude and disrespectful to not let applicants know, whether they are successful or not!

And it's not just agencies, this has happened with company recruitment departments too.

So how far would you go to get an answer - even if after a week it's probably unlikely you've got the job?

I've repeatedly requested a result/feedback, and on occasion even contacted the interviewer direct though I know this is frowned upon but it at least gets me the answer so I can move on...

They might be offering the job to someone first before they say no to you.

In the days of the possibility of bulk electronic replies there is no excuse for not replying to each and every applicant, after all the unsuccessful applicants may have future dealings with or be customers of that employer.

They might be offering the job to someone first before they say no to you.

They might be, but then if it's taking weeks they should contact the 2nd in line and let them know that is the situation out of courtesy...

Prime example:

I had an interview 2 weeks ago with a national telecommunications company, still haven't heard anything about if I've been successful or not. I've chased it up with the recruitment department and STILL haven't had a response.

Obviously I'm pretty sure I haven't got it and have since moved on. But I took time out for that interview, spent a long time reviewing the company, making notes and preparing for the interview - the very least they could have done is contact me after a week and let me know I wasn't successful, or if it's still being decided.

Yes, it is rude. It's a poor reflection on the employer and quite possibly an indicator on how they treat their staff. So not getting a job with them is probably a good thing in the long run and the interview prep/experience is still valuable for future interviews.

These employers aren't exactly good at encouraging potentially good employees who just missed out to apply for future vacancies with them. Arrogant!

I think if you take the time to be interviewed and someone takes the time to interview you then it is only courtesy to expect a response and/or feedback.

If it's simply applying - fair enough.

But an interview takes a lot of preparation, on both sides, so I can't understand why employers don't let people know.