Best real ale pubs in Chesterfield

I think the previous poster might be right Stoaty... I was always a big fan of the White Swan but went in a little over a week ago nand they seem to have sold out! Good kegs replaced by Carling. No DeMolen left in the fridge except for the stupidly expensive stuff they have iobviously so far been unable to shift. The range of beer they once had is gone. They only had 2 Raw brewery beers on as well. The rest being decidedly average.

It's another example of somewhere making a reputation on quality and then downgrading to suit the masses.

Owing to the fact that a lot of those bottles have been in the fridge for far too long, I give the bottles in the White Swan a miss these days. These days I much prefer the Tramway Taven for bottled exotica.

Last time I went in a couple of weeks ago they had Green Devil on keg, and they've never had much of their own beers on in there.

Owing to the fact that a lot of those bottles have been in the fridge for far too long, I give the bottles in the White Swan a miss these days. These days I much prefer the Tramway Taven for bottled exotica.

Last time I went in a couple of weeks ago they had Green Devil on keg, and they've never had much of their own beers on in there.

Yeah... but the bottles I like mature with age... :c)

My point was that there used to be much better quality on offer with regularity. When I went in, planning on astaying for a few, I left after one and went down to the Chesterfield Arms instead...

Yeah... but the bottles I like mature with age... :c)

My point was that there used to be much better quality on offer with regularity. When I went in, planning on astaying for a few, I left after one and went down to the Chesterfield Arms instead...

Normally the other way round with me. Head into the White Swan for 1 and end up staying for a while.

This weekend it was just the Tramway Tavern and Chesterfield Arms for me

I like the Rose and Crown (off Chatsworth Rd, near Morrisons). Brampton ales plus other stuff. Well kept beers and friendly staff.

Reprieving this thread because we are of to Chesterfield again tomorrow, ostensibly to visit the market, but in reality to visit some pubs.

Last time out the best by far were the Chesterfield Alehouse micropub and The White Swan. We ate at The Market last time and will probably do again.

Reprieving this thread because we are of to Chesterfield again tomorrow, ostensibly to visit the market, but in reality to visit some pubs.

Last time out the best by far were the Chesterfield Alehouse micropub and The White Swan. We ate at The Market last time and will probably do again.

Hope that you had a fine time!

Hope that you had a fine time!

It rained so unfortunately we had to go to the pub as soon as it opened at 11.

Enjoyed a meal in The Market then excellent beers in The Alehouse before a last one in the White Swan.

Just disappointed that as soon as I walked out of the Alehouse they put a Steel City / Raw collaboration on, a 6.5% "Hybrid Tropical Fruit Black IPA"

Been in Trav at Apperknowle,besides the Blades sign on the wall top pub.

Just disappointed that as soon as I walked out of the Alehouse they put a Steel City / Raw collaboration on, a 6.5% "Hybrid Tropical Fruit Black IPA"

It's coming soon at the Shakespeare, and the Rutland may also be getting some, if that helps...

Chesterfield Arms is worth a visit. Bit out of the way, but no more so than the Ale House.

Not much beer over 5% in the White Swan? Bit of an odd statement to make about a pub that has Oakham Green Devil on so often. Last time I was in there they had Marble Chocolate on and they have also had Great Heck Yakima IPA on a few times. Always seems to be something good and strong on when I visit!

Nothing odd about stating a fact based on my experience over several (probably 4 or 5) visits over a few weeks.

They had only one draught beer on at 5% on the occasions I went. That was the strongest they had. They had something like 12 hand pumps and the o.g. ranged from 3.9% to 5%, with most around 4.5%. I think that is poor tbh. With that number of pumps they should be able to cover a wide range of styles and strengths of beer.

It is a few months ago now since I went there - mainly because I felt it pointless to keep going in if they were not having a strong beer or two on draught (hand pull, not keg).

If you are saying that they have now changed their policy and regularly have beers upwards of 5% in there, then I'll definitely be back.

In fact, I will check it out on my next visit to Chesterfield and report back here. I really hope you are right because I can drink 4% beers at any pub in the entire United Kingdom. It's harder to find pubs that have strong beers, 5% or preferably greater, on draught. And it seems that anything over 6% now is re-purposed as keg. (Example: Buxton Brewery, Axe Edge, beautiful strong IPA beer, 6.8% - now almost impossible to find on draught - seems to be available for keg only. Even drove to Buxton, to the Buxton Brewery Tap House to try and get some on draught - nope! keg only now I was told)

Edited by DerbyTup