Freshers arrive this weekend

Guest sibon

I'm intrigued - how would you know when a penguin was lost? How do you know where they're intending to go?! :D

Any penguin wandering down Clarkehouse Road is obviously lost:)

Speak for yourself! :) On my course, the group I was with stayed together for three years, and most of us lived very closely together for those years, if not the same house.

Were you the person people tried to ditch? ;):hihi:

---------- Post added 19-09-2017 at 11:36 ----------

I'd argue that the selection of random people they put you together with in your halls of residence corridor might not perhaps be the sort of people you would be friends with unquestionably. Isn't it a bit odd to assume you would?!

Surely you meet friends through shared interests, hobbies, thoughts, etc, rather than because you were randomly stuck together?

For the record I was put on a hall corridor where me and another girl were bullied and picked on relentlessly because we weren't as into drinking heavily all the time as the others. The other girl quit after having her door smeared with <removed>. I stayed, but suffered heavily with depression, until I met a good selection of friends via other methods.

So yeah, thanks for the sarcastic 'bet you are fun at parties' type comments.

I'm really happy if you were randomly allocated a group of people you were instant friends with. Sadly that's not the case for many students, who have to search a little harder than the first days of freshers week to make lifelong friends.

---------- Post added 19-09-2017 at 16:12 ----------

Wow I bet you're fun at parties.

See above.

Edited by nikki-red

I'd argue that the selection of random people they put you together with in your halls of residence corridor might not perhaps be the sort of people you would be friends with unquestionably. Isn't it a bit odd to assume you would?!

Surely you meet friends through shared interests, hobbies, thoughts, etc, rather than because you were randomly stuck together?

For the record I was put on a hall corridor where me and another girl were bullied and picked on relentlessly because we weren't as into drinking heavily all the time as the others. The other girl quit after having her door smeared with <removed>. I stayed, but suffered heavily with depression, until I met a good selection of friends via other methods.

I'm really happy if you were randomly allocated a group of people you were instant friends with. Sadly that's not the case for many students, who have to search a little harder than the first days of freshers week to make lifelong friends.

See above.

I'm very sorry to hear this happened in our great city.

The people involved should be ashamed of themselves

Edited by nikki-red

I'm very sorry to hear this happened in our great city.

The people involved should be ashamed of themselves

Thanks. Nothing to do with the city-just a tiny minority of bullies. My point really is just that generalising students is bad. Many aren't having the same fun that others are, many are having the time of their lives. Just important not to assume they are all the same!

There are a lot of morose people on this site :roll:

Paula's observation is nothing to do with being grumpy, it's pretty accurate, you do see mismatched groups wandering around at this time of year and you know they're not going to be long-lasting friendships. I came here as a student and for the first few weeks I hung around with people I'd basically been thrown together with, it took me most of the first term to sort out who I really wanted as friends.

From the tram on Thursday night, it looked like the fall of Babylon on West Street. Some sort of regional drinking competition had been advertised. Bless 'em! We'd have done the same in my day, but without advertising or 'themes'!

Good to see Sheffield alive again!

Where is Newbold Avenue as reported in The Star and The Yorkshire Post?

Do they mean Newbould Lane in Broomhill?

See above.

A different university, but a similar setup, I was friends with 6 of the 8 people I shared a flat with for the 4 years of university, I shared a house in the 2nd year with 3 of them, I attended the weddings of 2 of them in the past 2 decades.

I made other friends as well of course, but a shared experience of living together and helping each other navigate that first few weeks is enough to create a lifelong friendship in many cases.

Where is Newbold Avenue as reported in The Star and The Yorkshire Post?

Do they mean Newbould Lane in Broomhill?

Maybe, although there is a Newbold Avenue in Chesterfield (S41).