Sheffield gains most from overseas students.

You missed out the remain lies in that summary.

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 10:13 ----------

How did you come to that guess, and just how do you measure the average intelligence of a population?

You present them with a referendum to vote on and the results are revealed!

You missed out the remain lies in that summary.

How did you come to that guess, and just how do you measure the average intelligence of a population?

Depends on the type of "average" you are talking about. Make a list, start with the most intelligent at one end and least at the other, draw a line in the middle as the average and there will be 50% on each side.

Depends on the type of "average" you are talking about. Make a list, start with the most intelligent at one end and least at the other, draw a line in the middle as the average and there will be 50% on each side.

That's a 'mean average ' if I recall my stats course correctly.

I gather that but has any survey been done to find out the statistics. I don't think the last census included any stats on the intelligence? of people, education yes. As we can see on SF that does not necessarily equate to intelligence.

The true culprits for spreading lies and misinformation? Well, you'd have to look at the leave campaign and the right wing press primarily wouldn't you.

I think that 50% of the population are of below average intelligence.

I assume that you think your in the half that is intelligent because you probably have a degree.I hear time and again especially from snotty nosed young students who think that if you have not been to uni that you are an amoeba that's just crawled out of a pond and are surprised that we can actually look after ourselves.A lot of the working class have a reasonable intelligence,i left school with plenty of O levels but back then you also needed to stay on and get A levels.I needed to get a job to do my bit for the household so i did not stay on at school.

Edited by area 51

That's a 'mean average ' if I recall my stats course correctly.

Not median average?

I assume that Fogey is going to tell me who the real culprits are at some point,if i am such a thicko then he really needs to put me on the right track with his superior intelligence.I read about quantum physics and watch all my favourite science programmes but i am obviously a complete dumpling because i voted to leave.You have to laugh.:hihi:

Have you read about the disastrous effects that brexit is already having on science and research in the UK?

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 09:35 ----------

I assume that you think your in the half that is intelligent because you probably have a degree.I hear time and again especially from snotty nosed young students who think that if you have not been to uni that you are an amoeba that's just crawled out of a pond and are surprised that we can actually look after ourselves.A lot of the working class have a reasonable intelligence,i left school with plenty of O levels but back then you also needed to stay on and get A levels.I needed to get a job to do my bit for the household so i did not stay on at school.

I assume that I'm in the top 10% actually, although you really have to start asking "what is intelligence?" and "how do we measure that?"

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 09:37 ----------

Hilarious.

By definition 50% of anything measured is below the average and 50% is above. That's pretty much what the word average means.

And yes, we're talking about the mean, unless specified 'average' means mean, not mode or median.

The true culprits for spreading lies and misinformation? Well, you'd have to look at the leave campaign and the right wing press primarily wouldn't you.

I think that 50% of the population are of below average intelligence.

George Carlin pointed that out when he said "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that".

Isn't 'median' the half of the sum of all the scores? Or have I got them the wrong way around?

Isn't 'median' the half of the sum of all the scores? Or have I got them the wrong way around?

The median is the person exactly halfway up, like 5th out of nine or 10 on whatever measure you care to use, whether wage, I.Q, age etc. Very often, its not the average and usually its below the average, especially when it comes to wage earners.

Edited by pss60

we should all go the extra mile and make them as welcome as possible.