Juke and Loe - Ecclesall Road

Any of our resident "foodies" been here yet? It's been open for nearly 2 weeks now and not a single review of it on here! Tsk! Tsk! The recession is really biting hard eh?

I noticed the place the other day and had a glance at the menu. It looks rather nice, mainly what one would describe as "British Classics". Things like scallops, pork belly, halibut, corn-fed chicken, rump of lamb, and things for veggies too, like baked beetroots and roasted cauliflower.

The restaurant is fairly small. It's near to the Hunters Bar roundabout as you come up Ecclesall Road from town. Between Patoo Thai and the Beer House Micro pub. I think it was an Indian restaurant before, although not for very long.

Having done a bit of research on it, it seems it's the work of two brothers, the Grayson's, one of whom previously worked at Mish Mash on Ecclesall Road (now closed) and the other at Grayson's on Hutliffe Wood Road. I must say I never tried either of these places so I've no idea whether they were up to much.

What I do know is this new place, Juke and Loe, looks nice in terms of the dining space. It's not large, but it's simple and elegantly furnished, and the menu looks very appealing to those of you who like "nice" food. Devotees of Wetherspoons and chain restaurants probably won't see the attraction, but personally I'm looking forward to trying it soon and will report back.

Meanwhile, don't be shy - tell us if you've been and what you thought of it?

There's every chance I'll be in for lunch on Saturday.

It got a decent review in Sheffield Telegraph yesterday, for its evening menu.

On a completely different note, had a nice curry at Rajas in Bakewell last week.

It got a decent review in Sheffield Telegraph yesterday, for its evening menu.

Have you ever seen the telegraph give a bad review? :D

To be fair, from memory, they did say the desserts were not as good as the earlier courses....harsh criticism indeed :)

Guest makapaka
Any of our resident "foodies" been here yet? It's been open for nearly 2 weeks now and not a single review of it on here! Tsk! Tsk! The recession is really biting hard eh?

I noticed the place the other day and had a glance at the menu. It looks rather nice, mainly what one would describe as "British Classics". Things like scallops, pork belly, halibut, corn-fed chicken, rump of lamb, and things for veggies too, like baked beetroots and roasted cauliflower.

The restaurant is fairly small. It's near to the Hunters Bar roundabout as you come up Ecclesall Road from town. Between Patoo Thai and the Beer House Micro pub. I think it was an Indian restaurant before, although not for very long.

Having done a bit of research on it, it seems it's the work of two brothers, the Grayson's, one of whom previously worked at Mish Mash on Ecclesall Road (now closed) and the other at Grayson's on Hutliffe Wood Road. I must say I never tried either of these places so I've no idea whether they were up to much.

What I do know is this new place, Juke and Loe, looks nice in terms of the dining space. It's not large, but it's simple and elegantly furnished, and the menu looks very appealing to those of you who like "nice" food. Devotees of Wetherspoons and chain restaurants probably won't see the attraction, but personally I'm looking forward to trying it soon and will report back.

Meanwhile, don't be shy - tell us if you've been and what you thought of it?

I like how you've not been in but immediate decided as to the clientele that it would suit.

Yeah all local publications always give good reviews.

That's very true. And why? Because the guy who does the reviews is well known, so it's totally artificial. Martin Dawes is it? Something like that.

I mean, really, what's the point?

I was amazed several years ago now about this lack of objectivity in food reviews. I used to buy Egon Ronay and Les Routiers and Johanssen and AA food and hotel guides. Then I found out that none of these actually do anonymous inspections. They all announce they are coming and give the restaurant a back-hander to do a review. It's appalling. It's just a con.

I am not saying this guy Dawes, or the Sheffield Star, do back-handers, but the fact he is so well known, he only has to walk in the place and bias is already in place.

Thankfully we still have objective guides, like "The Good Food Guide" - but few Sheffield restaurants actually make it! The last time I bought it I think we only had The Old Vicarage at Ridgway and Fischer's of Baslow in it!

Tells you a lot!

---------- Post added 03-09-2017 at 22:34 ----------

I like how you've not been in but immediate decided as to the clientele that it would suit.

I've been in the restaurant. I've reviewed the menu and the wine list. I've booked a table. And I've seen the food that is being served and the clientele it attracts.

It's totally different to Wetherspoons mate. Believe me. But you don't have to of course.

Guest makapaka
That's very true. And why? Because the guy who does the reviews is well known, so it's totally artificial. Martin Dawes is it? Something like that.

I was amazed several years ago now about this lack of objectivity in food reviews. I used to buy Egon Ronay and Les Routiers and Johanssen and AA food and hotel guides. Then I found out that none of these actually do anonymous inspections. They all announce they are coming and give the restaurant a back-hander to do a review. It's appalling. It's just a con.

I am not saying this guy Dawes, or the Sheffield Star, do back-handers, but the fact he is so well known, he only has to walk in the place and bias is already in place.

Thankfully we still have objective guides, like "The Good Food Guide" - but few Sheffield restaurants actually make it! The last time I bought it I think we only had The Old Vicarage at Ridgway and Fischer's of Baslow in it!

Tells you a lot!

I've been in the restaurant. I've reviewed the menu and the wine list. I've booked a table. And I've seen the food that is being served and the clientele it attracts.

It's totally different to Wetherspoons mate. Believe me. But you don't have to of course.

I don't doubt it. Although why do you have an assumption that people who go in a Wetherspoons wouldn't like it?

Also - what clientele is it attracting that forms your judgement?

Thank you. Yes I think as a broad generalisation that is accurate. I also go in Wetherspoons occasionally (not to eat though - although I'm not knocking it - I think for basic pub food it offers good value for money). So there will be some people who enjoy both of course.

But Juke and Loe is a different type of dining to that and it's considerably more expensive and it's more high-end cuisine.

I have been in now by the way - and enjoyed it very much. Beautifully presented food, expertly cooked and the service was really friendly.

I have only just seen this and stopped writing reviews for The Star in 2014 but never took backhanders and it was surprising how many places did not 'clock' me. Derby Tup has posted some bilge in the past and this is some more, I am afraid. You are welcome to read me at that excellent blog www.dawesindoors.wordpress.com

• Thanks 1

On 03/09/2017 at 22:31, DerbyTup said:

Tells you a lot!

I always found Mr Dawes reviews to be very good, I've eaten at some great places on the back of some of them, I miss his Star column, his put some very scathing ones of places in the past.

I've been to Juke and Loe four or five times in the last 12 months and it's universally excellent.  Ive been for dinner mostly, but it's also excellent for a nice weekend brunch.

Best restaurant in town for me.