Old broomhall flats

i grew up on exeter drive in the 70s/80s and spent quite a lot of time on the broomhall flats. i also went to school at all saints at the bottom of the moor happy days.

Exeter Drive isn't the Broomhall Flats - they were on the other side of the road and were demolished years ago. There's a new housing estate on the site now.

(There's several threads about them already on the forum as well like here: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22534)

Exeter Drive isn't the Broomhall Flats - they were on the other side of the road and were demolished years ago. There's a new housing estate on the site now.

(There's several threads about them already on the forum as well like here: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22534)

hiya

when i think about the districl of where the broomhall flats were i always think of it prior to the 1960s, at that time there were hundreds of houses .factories, shops ,pubs, little mesters dozens of these, the pubs within a quarter of an hours walk from springfield school gates at the bottom of broomspring lane was 22 believe it as i can name all of them.that area was like a town within a town, it had 2 barbers,five butchers and 3 cobblers all within five minutes.

I lived on Victoria St from 77 to 81 and went to 'Springfield School' all my friends lived on the flats. I remember the 'Harrisons' and 'Wayne and Darren Wests' i used to knock about with 'Steven Dodds' (Doddsy) during the Mod revival and play on the adventure playgound.

Also hung round with 'Darren Wrigly'

I remember the 'Kemps' and 'Alan Bulby' he had a chopper bike like mine and we used to ride round the flats together.

The flats were rough but a great place to play as a kid when it rained. I remember pressing the lift button so it 'bounced' at ground and went back up.

Also watching the 'prossies' on havalock sq and counting 'jonnies' we could find.

ahh happy days

I lived 2 doors from Dodsy,happy days on the flats with the Gary,stve,martin westons,darren B,Potsy and Gav playing cricket and footy non stop,delavio? bombing andshining sun hro a mirror on the hills for a laugh always got a good kickin tho! hated movin up crookes in 82

Hi

OUR Broomhall:

We have recently started a new community history project about the history of Broomhall area and its people. We will be creating a new book, exhibition and book about the area and it would be great if any of you with memories or old photos of the area could get involved. We will be looking to interview people to create short clips for our website etc or you can attend our Wednesday afternoons drop-in from 2-5pm at the Broomhall Centre on Broomspring Lane. Or contact me below if you have a story to share or a photo to contribute. Our launch event is this Saturday at the Broomhall Centre from 3-8pm - all welcome!

Jennie Beard

Project Manager

Our Broomhall

The Broomhall Centre

Broomspring Lane

Broomhall

Sheffield

S10 2FD

Email: ourbroomhall@gmail.com

Tel: 07810162146

I lived on Broomhall flats in early 70's; 1 high Monmouth, we always said it was haunted. When I started work I had to go back and was told; when I mentioned where I used to live, that the previous tenant was found dead in there a few weeks after the event.

I lived 2 doors from Dodsy,happy days on the flats with the Gary,stve,martin westons,darren B,Potsy and Gav playing cricket and footy non stop,delavio? bombing andshining sun hro a mirror on the hills for a laugh always got a good kickin tho! hated movin up crookes in 82

Gary, Steven & Martin are my cousins.

I used to live at 25 High Wellington. I was a witness to the accident when the top floor of the prefab above the shops accross from the Domino collapsed. Saw a man just vanish as the slab slipped and then saw another man running and screaming. I went round to see what had happened and saw a flatbed lorry dripping more blood than I had ever seen.Evidently it hit some poor guy who was on it. The star reporter was there and asked if anyone had seen anything. I had my photo on the front page of that afternoons edition.(still have it) .Went to work that evening and my workmates saw the heading man killed and my photo along side and they thougt it was me.Lived on the flats many years,loved the chippy and the Domino,and a sunday drink in the Washington. It was my last Sheffield address before I moved to LA.

I used to live at 25 High Wellington. I was a witness to the accident when the top floor of the prefab above the shops accross from the Domino collapsed. Saw a man just vanish as the slab slipped and then saw another man running and screaming. I went round to see what had happened and saw a flatbed lorry dripping more blood than I had ever seen.Evidently it hit some poor guy who was on it. The star reporter was there and asked if anyone had seen anything. I had my photo on the front page of that afternoons edition.(still have it) .Went to work that evening and my workmates saw the heading man killed and my photo along side and they thougt it was me.Lived on the flats many years,loved the chippy and the Domino,and a sunday drink in the Washington. It was my last Sheffield address before I moved to LA.

Did u know my dad John Cox

there was a Broomhall reunion Sunday 24th it was a great show, if any of you are interested in events like this look on the Hanover page on facebook

Hi Lisacoxy1975

I just sent you a private message. Get back to me.

sharrowyank