Winn gardens is it as bad as people say

Winn gardens is an area of high deprivation.

https://www.police.uk/south-yorkshire/KE/crime/

According to the crime map (of reported crimes) crime is disproportionately high there.

---------- Post added 26-09-2018 at 12:04 ----------

Deer Park View, Wellington Road and Deer Park Close in Stannington appear to be about as bad though.

Edited by Cyclone

Winn Gardens used to be really bad. At one point a boy who was about 10 from there was convicted for killing someone and apparently his family caused a lot of problems up there. 

That was about ten years ago and it has really improved since then. There has been a lot of community work which has made a massive difference and problematic families issues targeted.  You can see it when you walk around. Just the houses being taken care of better and a lot of people taking more pride in their surroundings and community.

Posts have been removed that could be seen to breach our Ts & Cs.

If you cant have a discussion without resorting to bickering and personal attacks then please refrain from posting at all.

There's plenty of decent folk live at Winn gardens, I have worked for them over the years. There is a few dodgy folk but which area doesn't.

On 9/26/2018 at 11:59 AM, Cyclone said:

Winn gardens is an area of high deprivation.

Deprivation means  "a situation in which you do not have things or conditions that are usually considered necessary for a pleasant life: 2. an absence or too little of something important"

If you think that this applies to some of the residents in Wynn Gardens, what kind of things do you think they are deprived of, ie, lack of money, emotional, sub-standard housing, or other?

As a rule of thumb, if someone tells you an area is really bad and they don't live in that area then they don't know what they're talking about and are just passing on their personal prejudices of how bad they think some area is based on how poor it looks.

Yes, although some know friends and family in a particular area, perhaps visit it, and they do get the general picture from them.

18 minutes ago, carosio said:

Deprivation means  "a situation in which you do not have things or conditions that are usually considered necessary for a pleasant life: 2. an absence or too little of something important"

If you think that this applies to some of the residents in Wynn Gardens, what kind of things do you think they are deprived of, ie, lack of money, emotional, sub-standard housing, or other?

These are the areas upon which the Government assess levels of deprivation. Areas with high deprivation will be affected by a mixture of all of these.

• Income Deprivation
  • Employment Deprivation
  • Education, Skills and Training Deprivation
  • Health Deprivation and Disability
  • Crime
  • Barriers to Housing and Services
  • Living Environment Deprivation

Apart from income all this is rather vague. How much income should they have in order not to feel deprived ? Are they unempolyed because they lack education and skills? Is training not available? How do you deprive yourself of health, by smoking and drinking or taking drugs? Crime is a choice. If you are living in a decent house, then one is not actually barred from it, and again, the Living Environment Deprivation needs qualifying.

4 minutes ago, carosio said:

Yes, although some know friends and family in a particular area, perhaps visit it, and they do get the general picture from them.

Fair enough if family and friends are telling you their views of where they live but I don't believe anyone can get an honest assessment of an area simply by visiting it. I've had people telling me that my street is "dodgy" because they didn't like the look of some people living on it. My personal experience is that everyone here is just getting on with their lives and not bothered anyone else.

I think its a disgusting post by the OP full stop. Nobody has the right to bring up such a generalised view of an area based on plastic statistics. Yes, there may be a few on benefits etc, but in no way does that give cause to call an area deprived. As I said earlier in a post that was removed, i have a family member who lives in Winn Gardens, who incidentally works at a local hospital. And they are in nursing. Hardly a social leper, if this post is to be believed. 

Exactly, I knew the estate in the 60s and it was great but something turned and it did start to get a bad reputation probably caused by a few, and there must have been reasons for this to happen. It does appear though that it is once again on the upward path for reasons perhaps eluded to in post 14.

Edited by carosio