Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

I believe in the early days, not sure how far back Pye Bank was a segragated school with girls in one playground and boys in the other.

The outside toilets were misarable.

Bezant was there in the 60s when i was at the school, Andrews was the one to be feared.

Wallace, Singleton and Garratt are a couple that spring to mind.

Now come on cycleracer, what have I told you about talking about SHE who is to be feared, still cringe at the sight and sound of her name. Don't think I will ever forget her.

Mr Bezant was one of my fave teachers. Names I remember Janet Harkness (she went to live in OZ) the Robinsons, The Longleys, Stensons, Sharps, Dobsons, comleys, Hills, Moffats Hobsons, copsons, Mcdonalds, Taylors, Burgins and of course you there are more but wont go on LOL

On the subject of the outside toilet, we were told the 4th one was haunted by a Mr Jenkinson wondered who started that :confused: but I agree they were horrid

i went to pye bank infant and junior school, must have been early 80s, i remember mrs goddard from the infant school and from the juniors miss chalmers and mr bezant, mr lingard was the head there at the time. i saw miss chalmers again in the early 90s when she was teaching at my sisters school, she was strict but she was nice if you were good.

I believe in the early days, not sure how far back Pye Bank was a segragated school with girls in one playground and boys in the other.

The outside toilets were misarable.

Bezant was there in the 60s when i was at the school, Andrews was the one to be feared.

Wallace, Singleton and Garratt are a couple that spring to mind.

Hi

You also mentioned Garratt. Was that Mr. Garratt, who may have come over from Burngreave ? The Mr. Garratt I knew at Burngreave was a very good singer - operatic and church.

Regards

My mum went to pye bank - pamela pyne....not sure of the years - shes 72 now - she had a twin brother called jack, and older sisters connie and betty, younger sister lorna and younger brother called tony. they lived on stockton street for 20+ years i think.....before moving to firth park (at least my gran did - no3 merlin way :) )

My mum went to pye bank - pamela pyne....not sure of the years - shes 72 now - she had a twin brother called jack, and older sisters connie and betty, younger sister lorna and younger brother called tony. they lived on stockton street for 20+ years i think.....before moving to firth park (at least my gran did - no3 merlin way :) )

Hi,

Was Pyne your Mums married name? I knew someone called Jack who lived on Stockton Street in the 1940's and some of the 50's. His last name was, I think, Acres (?)

Regards

Hi

You also mentioned Garratt. Was that Mr. Garratt, who may have come over from Burngreave ? The Mr. Garratt I knew at Burngreave was a very good singer - operatic and church.

Regards

No, Garratt was a Miss.

I think she tought art but can't quite remember.

She was quite strict though not as strict as Miss ' you know who ' Peppermint.

Now come on cycleracer, what have I told you about talking about SHE who is to be feared, still cringe at the sight and sound of her name. Don't think I will ever forget her.

Mr Bezant was one of my fave teachers. Names I remember Janet Harkness (she went to live in OZ) the Robinsons, The Longleys, Stensons, Sharps, Dobsons, comleys, Hills, Moffats Hobsons, copsons, Mcdonalds, Taylors, Burgins and of course you there are more but wont go on LOL

On the subject of the outside toilet, we were told the 4th one was haunted by a Mr Jenkinson wondered who started that :confused: but I agree they were horrid

I remember someon coming screaming out of the toilets claiming seeing Mr Jenkinson.

Janet Harkness, yes I remember her to, her Father remained here and lives or lived in this area somewhere.

have not seen hin for about 7 years.

Janet went to Oz with her Mother and Brother, who's name was Paul I think, could be wrong there and they left about 1967/68.

Our yard was on the corner of Brunswick Rd and Bramber St and Paul Webster lived on the side backing on to Bramber St. I remember his mothers name was Iris. I last saw them in 1956-no idea where he is now.

I remember someon coming screaming out of the toilets claiming seeing Mr Jenkinson.

Janet Harkness, yes I remember her to, her Father remained here and lives or lived in this area somewhere.

have not seen hin for about 7 years.

Janet went to Oz with her Mother and Brother, who's name was Paul I think, could be wrong there and they left about 1967/68.

Not spoken to Janets dad in years,think it was in the Highway.Told me she had married an aussie soldier,don't know if i'd recognise him now if i saw him...Thats if he's still alive....

john

thanks nimrod i cant remember Pauls dad but my parents knew his parents.Can you remember his gran living with them.Would the houses in Bramber Street have been demolished when they moved out.Do you know what area they might have gone to in 1956.

I seem to remember Paul's dad being some sort of musician but I dont think he lived with them at the time I knew them. I dont remember Paul's gran living with them. Dont know when demolition took place, we moved into a 'pit house' at Highgreen when my dad started work as a coal miner.

Charlie Street was in my class at Pye bank school in the late 50's The Wembley play ground was on Marcus St.

Did this Charlie Street have a brother named Roy?If so I worked with them both at Fletchers Bakery between 1972-74

Did this Charlie Street have a brother named Roy?If so I worked with them both at Fletchers Bakery between 1972-74

Charlie would be about 57 years old now, I know he had a younger brother who lost a leg, late 50's early 60's. I can't recall his name, or the circumstances, for the loss of his leg. If I recall correctly they lived on Neville St. untill the area was redeveloped.