Firth Park 50s and 60s

Who can remember Peter Niles , lived on Horninglow rd near the gennel. Just seen him on calendar news , sadly not a pleasant experience he was highlighting what could happen when using a mobile phone while driving. He wife was killed by a driver doing this. So sorry Pete if you ever read this.

Hiya Parkydave. I saw it as well on T.V. A very sad story. Peter was in the same class as me at school. He was a very nice lad. When I saw him on T.V. tonight I recognised him straight away.

This is so sad, I new Peter very well as he was in my class at school and also lived near me. I did wonder why he disappeared from my Facebook friends list. Very sorry for your loss Peter.

Was going to mail you Heather about Peter but you posted on here. He was a good mate was Pete , used to revise and do our homework together at the library . It is very sad that people still use phones while driving and continue you injure and kill other people.

We lived in Pitsmoor in the 60s but often visited the boatinglake. We also liked sliding down the hill on pieces of cardboard. We once used a car bonnet and ended up in the stream because we couldn't stop.

St. Christopher's Bellhouse Road, I saw Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders there in 1964 and they already had a hit record.[/quote

Hi stpetre. I wasn`t from around that area, Shiregreen etc. We used to walk over from Longley/Southey Hall. But from around the beginning of `64 we used to go to the Horseshoe for a couple of "jars", then on down the hill to St Christophers church hall. I remember Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders.

Obviously you won`t remember us but there were usually four of us, occasionally 5. However, on one particular Saturday night one of our group, Eddie, brought his sister along. Eddie was a bit handy with his fists and had no fear. One of the local lads was dancing with his sister. Nothing wrong in that;but you had to know Eddie to be aware that any particular situation could lend itself to trouble.

To cut a long story short; after Eddie decked the lad who was dancing with his sister, we were chased outside by a nearly all the lads from that area.

We ended up stuck between a couple of the Church buttresses and were only saved from a good hiding by the swift intervention of the two blokes running/minding the Hall.

Edited by vanner18