Firth Park 50s and 60s

Hey up Darryl was only thinking of you the other day , I drove through Monyash and remembered when we all went hiking and camping for a week . There was me ,Alan and you and can't remember who else. Our parents must have been worried no contact for a week . I remember the weather was really nice . How you doing . I also can remember when you mum got a static caravan somewhere up north yorks and we drove up in your dads car you driving as a learner with me sat up front. Didn't big ends go on way back and we had to limp home. You had a brother John is he still with us . You then moved to Tideswell , just above Horninglow , didn't you .Was you with us went we went camping at Ingomells we all went in my car spent most days in pub weather rubbish. A lad called Mike went with us cant remember his last name ( Warburton ) ? . Those early days hanging around Firth Park were great times .

Hi Dave

All accurate. Don't recall going on the Ingoldmells trip.

I've sent a pm

Yes replied to your PM you may not remember some of the people posting on this topic because you was the posh git who went to Firth Park grammar. Love to be able to remember who went on Ingomells trip because it was nearly the last all boys outing for me , I started going out with a girl who I eventually married . Keep in touch with your memories and keep well.

Firth park grammar had a renowned language facility, particularly in Russian.

Do I remember correctly that one of their students was caught /accused of spying.

Was it a guy called Greville whynne?

All a long time ago now --- the early sixties I think ?

That would be Gerald Brooke.

He was arrested by the KGB in 1965 for distributing anti Soviet material. Sentence to one year in prison followed by 4 years in labour camps. He started at FPGS in 1949 and went on to teach Russian on London.

When I was at FPGS (1959-1964) the Russian teacher was "Boris" McKay a really decent bloke.

Yes that is correct slug he was released in 1969 in a swop with some Russians ,we had. My company I was working for sent me to do a repair on a crane and I used a news paper to sit on and that news was on the front page.

Them "redcaps" could be a pain in the arris at home time if there was snow on the ground!

can anyone remember the bloke who sold the Green un and stood at firth park outside Yorkshire bank you could hear him for miles

I think that Fred Revill's or his brother. Fred ran the newsagent in the gennel next to Wild's fishmonger. Can't remember his name but he had a voice like a foghorn.

Yes that correct now I remember it was Freds brother with Green un lived on Horninglow just along road from me next door to Shemmals

Hi has anyone out there got any memories of hanging out around the firth park area in the 50s and 60s . The dance venue at st Christopher's Bellhouse road was very good .

hi Dave on here too are you? I remember going to a dance one time on the road where Margaret gandys mom and dad had the pub which escapes my mind at the moment , it was at a church hall on the right further up the road, They had a group on called Mark Stone and the Questors , Bobby Nutt took over from Mark later on. Any way we had some good times following them .

That would be Gerald Brooke.

He was arrested by the KGB in 1965 for distributing anti Soviet material. Sentence to one year in prison followed by 4 years in labour camps. He started at FPGS in 1949 and went on to teach Russian on London.

When I was at FPGS (1959-1964) the Russian teacher was "Boris" McKay a really decent bloke.

I was at Firth Park 66 to 71. Thought Boris the Russian teachers name was Haywood, can remember Jock McKay the PE teacher.

Boris was also the author of several Russian Language textbooks I belive.

Just checked on the FPGS website Boris was Alan Haywood

Edited by Firparnian
Further info

Who can remember Peter Niles , lived on Horninglow rd near the gennel. Just seen him on calendar news , sadly not a pleasant experience he was highlighting what could happen when using a mobile phone while driving. He wife was killed by a driver doing this. So sorry Pete if you ever read this.