Like Oxford, should Sheffield ban all non electric vehicles?

Banning non diesel vehicles from the City Centre would probably boost usage of the Supertram park and ride facilities but other than that...

That is a very good point. However, it may become a bit congested with all the diesel lorries, that have been banned from the city, parked in there unloading their goods onto the tram for delivery into the city centre.

That would give you an 8 mile diameter, which would virtually wipe out the whole of Sheffield, even Meadowhall.

Lets do it then!

But unlike Oxford where its only a city centre exclusion wouldn't it be brave if a 4 mile exclusion zone was introduced?

From hillsbough, to woodseats, to halfway to attercliffe

All non electric vehicles banned

And this would also include hybrid cars, banned too.

This would make a bold statement to the rest of the world that sheffield takes its environmental responsibility seriously.

And that poor health will not be passed onto the next generation from the current generation

The council have been trying their best to make the city centre a no go zone for motorists for years .

The council have been trying their best to make the city centre a no go zone for motorists for years .

You sir are a commited petrol.head

Who is in love with the car

How will you answer to.people in 70 years time who will be choking to death caused by people in 2017 who.drive around in high.powered german cars

People will die in there millions

If only the council used electric vehicles, they could lead by example.

If only they enforced the emissions standards on the buses - - but then there would be no buses on the road and cars would increase and people would complain...

If only there were enough charging points for all these electric cars...

If only the electricity wasn't generated using coal or gas

Perhaps we could go nuclear - if the French and Chinese get their fingers out... but hold on, brexit will derail that one..

I know - Unicorns!!!

No - not Ubercorns!

. . .A recent Channel 5 documentary revealed this to be thousands and thousands nationally!!

Say no more, say no more, say no more. . .

I would prefer to see a new Channel 5 documentary such as "Can pay tax, won't pay tax" or "Britain's biggest tax dodgers" but since Richard Desmond, Paul Dacre and Rupert Murdoch are not only the biggest tax-dodging scumbags around but also own much of the UK media, I know I will be waiting a very, very long time :)

what a stupid idea. I loath the people who come up with these ideas. They don't live in the real world. I think they just get a lightbulb moment. They wouldnt be able to provide the infrastructure for a start.

its like trying to ban diesel cars. People who commute a fair distance to and from work will use diesel as its more economical than petrol if they travel long distances.

And then there is the constant trying to herd the car user onto public transport. Unfortunately the public transport system is not fit for purpose and hasn't been for years.

The Government has simply put the horse in front of the cart, no surprise there then. A much better idea would have been to sort out the answers to the problem first, then implement their plan to ban ic cars. Then go on to vans, and the bus (long distance), and the trucks, railway engines, ships at sea, oh and aeroplanes, farm tractors and combine harvesters. I foresee many problems on the horizon.

And to expect so called wind farms and their ilk to supply the extra energy is a pipe dream from the greenies.

Angel1

...And to expect so called wind farms and their ilk to supply the extra energy is a pipe dream from the greenies.

Angel1

For a brexiteer you have insufficient faith in the UK: surely, if Denmark can do it, so can we with our seven thousand-plus mile (windy) coastline.

The technology can only get better and more efficient.

But unlike Oxford where its only a city centre exclusion wouldn't it be brave if a 4 mile exclusion zone was introduced?

From hillsbough, to woodseats, to halfway to attercliffe

All non electric vehicles banned

And this would also include hybrid cars, banned too.

This would make a bold statement to the rest of the world that sheffield takes its environmental responsibility seriously.

And that poor health will not be passed onto the next generation from the current generation

It's a nice idea rogets, but a bit wishy washy and doesn't go far enough to protect the environment.

I think a 50 mile exclusion zone around Sheffield City center is more sensible. No vehicles allowed, of any kind; and also, no human beings either; for at least 300 years, just to give nature a chance.

You sir are a commited petrol.head

Who is in love with the car

How will you answer to.people in 70 years time who will be choking to death caused by people in 2017 who.drive around in high.powered german cars

People will die in there millions

I will be long gone by that time so not my problem.

For a brexiteer you have insufficient faith in the UK: surely, if Denmark can do it, so can we with our seven thousand-plus mile (windy) coastline.

The technology can only get better and more efficient.

Denmark has a population of five and three quarter million, we have over 60 million so you are comparing apples with pears if you get my drift. Plus we have in excess of 20 million plus households.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

would it be ok if they were killed by people who drive around in high powered british cars ?