Password storage

Like most folk, I've got differing application passwords by the score, so many years ago I installed 'KeyWallet', a free storage system accessed by a single password.

No complaints about it - it worked as promised, and I eventually added program licence numbers etc. and various relevant notes as well.

For security reasons, printing of the password list is not allowed, but it does feature a backup facility, giving an export/import choice.

All the above was on an XP SP3 machine....

Move forward to a newer laptop, armed with Win10....and yes, you're ahead of me....KeyWallet's developers haven't updated the program to cope.

I've got a current KW data backup, but it can't be opened by any other application.

Other than opening KW and manually copying each and every password/licence reference before rewriting them into a different storage facility, I can't think of another option....

Can you?!

Not sure if it is possible with KW but take a screenshot of the page with the password list. XP does not have a snipping tool but you can download free ones for it that do the same.

Edited by apelike

Not sure if it is possible with KW but take a screenshot of the page with the password list.

Yes, good idea, but regretfully, the KW format doesn't lend itself to doing that!

Once KW is unlocked, you have to click on a particular product name within the list to 'open' whatever's stored under that name, e.g. username, password, contact email, etc.

Yes, I could screenshot each one....but there must be scores of 'em!

What about writing them down ?

See part of original post!

"Other than opening KW and manually copying each and every password/licence reference before rewriting them into a different storage facility, I can't think of another option...."

Tried that....'No' is the answer to 7 and 8, but I managed to get it installed in the guise of XPSP3.

The odd thing is that the opening screen asks for the main password...and it struck me that - as yet - the program wouldn't 'know' it to recognise, as it's, in effect, a new installation.

Tried to backdoor my backup into it - which obviously has my password - but no....

"Incorrect password".....

Don't know if community utils for this would work mentioned on this page?:

https://support.1password.com/import/

I don't use password managers myself.

That's very interesting....Thank you. Might be worth a shot.

Have to say that I didn't bother with managers for a long time, but then realised that I was in the habit of using the same password over and over again.

It was probably entering the world of internet banking that shook me out of it.

Try Keepass. Iv used it over the years.

Try Keepass. Iv used it over the years.

Yes, well recommended, I know.

(If only it could import my encrypted KW backup!)

I can recommend 1password, not sure why you wouldn't use a password manager these days. Unless you're like my friend who drawers little cartoons for his passwords which mean something only to him, so basically you'd have to understand him and his memories before even attempting to decipher them ;)