Car insurance renewals

Insurance prices are generally still increasing year on year.

Insurance prices are generally still increasing year on year.

Mine went down this year on both of my cars and my house.

Try mustard.co.uk, this comparison site beats the rest except that they charge a fee if bought over the phone.

Has anyone had experience with One Call Insurance. Good price for car insurance just bit nervous

Has anyone had experience with One Call Insurance. Good price for car insurance just bit nervous

The way I see it, as long as legal is all that matters, if you are looking at prices.

They're all the same when it comes to paying out

Mine went down this year on both of my cars and my house.

Fascinating anecdote, please tell us more.

Received my car insurance renewal yesterday and to my horror it was nearly double last years. I rang them to ask why and they asked me if there had been any changes in past year. No, no changes whatsoever to which she replied "there has probably been a lot of car accidents/claims with a car same as yours"(Hyundai i10).

Was she serious? Am I missing something completely. Why should the type of car have anything to do with MY insurance

The car you drive makes up a big part of the risk assessment they calculate to determine your premium price.

Using statistics and facts they can see that X car on the whole costs them Y in payouts each year so for people driving X car, they need to charge Z in order to turn a profit for the shareholders etc.

You may find that other providers haven't had as much to payout on X car so are able to charge less (but then maybe not, maybe other parts of your demographic have cost them so other things have affected your premium).

Everyone should always be shopping around each year due to the above (unless they are completely happy with the price offered and can't be bothered) - Some providers do chance it though and send out a high renewal price but then will instantly reduce it if you question it.

I just got my renewal from the AA it has gone up 27% how they can justify that I don't know. Will give the comparison sites a go. Saga gave me a price when I renewed my house insurance (which had come down this year) that is £113 cheaper than the AA although might be a bit more when I put excesses to the same. Clamp down on the untaxed and uninsured drivers and also on the people that try to con insurance companies and stop screwing the law abiding people.

Edited by iansheff

Got mine with saga last year, but beware as they tacked on a £20 agency fee at the very end of the telephone deal.

Do not EVER automatically renew your insurance with whoever it is.

Ring them when you get your renewal quote and tell them that you have just looked at the same insurance policy on compare the meerkat and it is x% cheaper. They will tell you that that price is based on a new business quote. Tell them that you want to cancel your insurance and you will look to see if any other company's are offering an even better quotes as a new customer. They will then say "Let's have a look and see if we can get you something better."

They will then invariably offer you exactly the same policy for sometimes up to 20% less than you've been quoted.

I've been doing this for 15 years now with the SAME company and they have never given me a new quote of less than 10% off what the renewal price was.

Ring the company up and ask why your premium has risen by 83%. Should be interesting.

Mine went up from £305 to £435, I phoned them, was polite to their operative who tried a £50 reduction, I finally settled for £299, inclusive of UK Homestart breakdown cover, job done

:thumbsup:

Edited by Calahonda

I had a renewal quote of around 3 times what I had paid the previous year from the same company - but the insurance agents had found one from another company for only double!

Naturally, I went elsewhere (One Call) and it was just over half of what I had been paying. (Under £25 a month)

The following year, when the quote came in, it was near enough the same price again.