Old Pc Gaming - suggestions

Well i have just dug out my fathers old IBM Acentia beast running windows 98 at 322Mhz!

Question is i can play some old games on there but i was wondering is there any games from back then that people would recommend. I only have 2 or 3 at the moment :)

Hundreds of them. Half Life, Civilization 3, Commandos 1,2 Deus Ex, Soldier of Fortune, Gta, Mafia, Diablo 1,2 , Project IGI, Baldurs Gate 1,2 , Fallout 1,2 , Icewind Dale 1,2 , Planescape torment, Morrowind...list is really endless

X-wing series

Syndicate series

Final Fantasy VII (yes this really did come out on PC)

Jedi Knight series

Doom? Rise of the triads? COMMAND AND CONQUER?

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 22:07 ----------

Shellshock

Syndicate

a while back i went through a phase of buying some on 5¼ inch floppy disks, proper oldskool, Ghostbusters is one of em, used to love that on the zx spectrum and C64.

Still got to get round to getting hold of a drive tho as i got made redundant, money got scarcer and i stopped looking, but now i have regular pay again?.............

Edited by melthebell

Doom? Rise of the triads? COMMAND AND CONQUER?

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 22:07 ----------

Shellshock

Command & Conquer games that were only made by the original Westwood studios before they were bought out.

I have to say im impressed with the machine i have acquired. All i did is hoover the case and re-pasted the CPU as its coming up to 20 years old. I will need a video card for it to play some of the more demanding games haha

I have to say im impressed with the machine i have acquired. All i did is hoover the case and re-pasted the CPU as its coming up to 20 years old. I will need a video card for it to play some of the more demanding games haha

Try to find 3dfx Voodoo 3, 4 graphic card. PCI or AGP, depending on the mother board. That's perfect for 333 CPU.

Croat77, i assume your clued up on pc building?

all i know at the moment is its a AMD K7 chip on a socket 7 board

Croat77, i assume your clued up on pc building?

all i know at the moment is its a AMD K7 chip on a socket 7 board

Socket 7 motherboard and 333 mhz cpu means that you are running amd k6-2 333 mhz cpu on super socket 7 motherboard. It also means that your motherboard can have 2 types of RAM EDO or SDRAM (or both in some cases, I had Soyo ss7 mbo with support for both ram types, only I could use only one at the time) and 2 possible slots for graphic cards (AGP or PCI or both).

In gaming terms, if you want to get maximum form that computer, you want to max on RAM and get yourself Voodoo 3 PCI or AGP graphic cards depending on the slots on your motherboard. Forget about Nvidia, S3 and other card that were available at that time, because amd k6-2 simply works best with voodoo card, believe me, I tried every single one of them.

Best thing to do is to download some diagnostic tool for w98 to see exactly which version of ss7 mbo you have and then upgrade RAM and GPU according to specs

Edited by Guest

Finding a decent AGP could be expensive, Voodoo cards are in demand by retro gamers, something like a TNT2 maybe more affordable or even things more powerful but you're gonna have AGP voltage problems early AGP slots were 3.3v later ones 1.5v or 0.8v