Dialing code for sheffield before 0114

yes me too, was just thinking this the other day when i saw it spaced out with the "2" included in the dialing code on the side of a van. some numbers now start with a 3 so does that mean its "01143" too? :loopy:

Exactly my point.

All the Sheffield numbers start with 2 because its part of a numbering plan. They cant start with a 1 because this would start dialling BT services such as 152 and 100, so 2 is the first number.,

Then when 2 runs out, we move onto 3, then eventually we MIGHT get to 4. And so on.

Because people are idiots, they saw every Sheffield number starting with a 2 and assume its part of the area code. Try dialling a Sheffield internal number without the 2 then, smartarses!

Now the 3 numbers have been released, it confused all these idiots. I bet some of them still refuse to believe and add the 2 before it still!

You still see the odd business whats been derilict for years or old vans with the 0742 on, didn't it go 01742 at one bit aswell?

No, Sheffield changed from 0742 to 0114 in the year 1994.

Areas such as Doncaster and Barnsley got the 1 added: so basically all areas apart from those who got a new area code.

Any company that has 0742 or 01142 on their signage won't get any business from me. If they can't get a sign right, or be arsed to update it, I won't be confident they can provide a good service because they must be incompetent.

They have had FIFTEEN years to update their signs so they no longer have any excuses. That's right, Guernsey Road Garage and H Harrold and Son on Shalesmoor!

No, Sheffield changed from 0742 to 0114 in the year 1994.

Areas such as Doncaster and Barnsley got the 1 added: so basically all areas apart from those who got a new area code.

Any company that has 0742 or 01142 on their signage won't get any business from me. If they can't get a sign right, or be arsed to update it, I won't be confident they can provide a good service because they must be incompetent.

They have had FIFTEEN years to update their signs so they no longer have any excuses. That's right, Guernsey Road Garage and H Harrold and Son on Shalesmoor!

I think if you have a little check it did actually go to 01742 for a while before the 0114 came into use.

As for not wanting to use a business because of a number being in the wrong place strikes me that your pretty serious about your dialling codes, lets hope thy never makethe emergency lines local numbers and put the numbers wrong on the ambulances lmao.

Edited by CorkerSWFC

I think if you have a little check it did actually go to 01742 for a while before the 0114 came into use.

As for not wanting to use a business because of a number being in the wrong place strikes me that your pretty serious about your dialling codes, lets hope thy never makethe emergency lines local numbers and put the numbers wrong on the ambulances lmao.

Well put it this way: if a company can't get its promotional literature right, does that instil confidence in their service and their attention to detail?

It doesn't for me.

I was only young on the Phoneday in 1995, so I bow to your greater judgement. Although Wikipedia (not always being correct I know) suggests it changed straight from 0742 to 0114

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhoneDay#PhONEday

It did change for a time to 01742, where I worked at the time had to up-date their letter heads then it went to 0114.

I love this quote:

"The whole thing is a mess, why hasn't this been publicised? The last time there was a number change it was drummed into us for a year.

"And why has anyone allowed numbers to be issued that are so similar to the old ones?"

You just want to do this, don't you:

http://corporatespeak.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/businessman-banging-his-head-against-the-wall-ispc026073.jpg

I love this quote:

You just want to do this, don't you:

http://corporatespeak.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/businessman-banging-his-head-against-the-wall-ispc026073.jpg

I'm with you on this one mate! How many times you see sign written vans, business's etc with the prefix 01142! Numptys, the lot of em!

It's nothing but......it's just one of those things that rile me

:rant:

It continues to amaze me how truly stupid some people are !!!:loopy:

yes your right it was 0742 its seem ages ago now

It was ages ago. :hihi: