New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

I will agree that people who choose to live or work in Leeds, probably do have more disposable income and more taste and sophistication ...

I agree with everything you said so far except this.

Sheffield people do have taste, sophistication and disposal income - they just don't have enough places to use it.

I'm also pretty sure that Cheshire was never even mentioned in the recent news item top ten of rich areas in the UK, but I'll stand corrected, if so.

It was 11th. It depends how information is presented: the recent list was by counties and on the basis of absolute wealth (including that tied up in assets I presume).

In 2003 Barclays produced a cost of living adjusted (looking at disposable income after housing costs) wealth list by parliamentary constituencies. This probably gives a better guide to the number of affluent shoppers in various catchment areas:

1 Tatton, Cheshire

2 Hallam, Sheffield

3 Kensington and Chelsea, London

4 Leeds North East

5 Macclesfield, Cheshire

6 Altrincham and Sale West, Greater Manchester

7 Cheadle, Cheshire

8 Harrogate and Knaresborough, Yorkshire

9 Warwick and Leamington

10 Haltemprice and Howden, East Yorkshire

It was 11th. It depends how information is presented: the recent list was by counties and on the basis of absolute wealth (including that tied up in assets I presume).

In 2003 Barclays produced a cost of living adjusted (looking at disposable income after housing costs) wealth list by parliamentary constituencies. This probably gives a better guide to the number of affluent shoppers in various catchment areas:

End of argument.

:thumbsup:

And your evidence for this is...............???????????

I don't think there is any.

The NRQ will be OK, it'll do well, Sheffield has enough wealth to support it :thumbsup:

But we're never going to be a Manchester or Leeds - let's keep a realistic perspective :cool:

I think Haydn got it the wrong way round, Hallam is supposed to have the highest per capita income, and there are more millionaires living in Yorkshire, both based on dubious polls or analyses I think.

So, four in Yorkshire, 4 in Cheshire, and two dahn sarf somewhere :)

re my remark about taste and sophistication in Leeds v Us ... probably out of order but I was trying to be unbiased like Longcol ... :hihi:

I don't live there and only see it on brief forays to shops or a night out, so my impression that there are more cultured people who appreciate the finer things of life in Leeds than there are here, may be totally in error.

I hope it is, as I'm Sheffield's No1 fan and always have been, even when I wasn't living here

Have you followed this at all ?

This is another big regeneration move which the council is involved in, by issuing a statutory purchase order to buyout the existing businesses. The area includes the Cole Brother building too. What would you like to see happen in such an area?

Are you involved, and have you objected to this ? Apparently, there will be a Public Enquiry sometime this year because many people have objected to it. I don't quite understand why, but never the less, kind of interesting to hear what comes next.

There's recently quite a lot of anarchist materials thrown around in some establishments. Did you get any of these? What are your thoughts?

Is it going to be a move which will hold the city back, or will it be a good move to regenerate the city?

..... over to you Firecracker!

:D

..... over to you Firecracker!

:D

Let's all play nice here and voice our opinions in an amicable manner for once. :hihi:

If anything, since there will be a public enquiry, NOW is the time to say something, rather than when the complete process has finished, and then we moan about it. :)

I just wondered whether know this is actually happening now.

Let's all play nice here and voice our opinions in an amicable manner for once. :hihi:

If anything, since there will be a public enquiry, NOW is the time to say something, rather than when the complete process has finished, and then we moan about it. :)

I just wondered whether know this is actually happening now.

Do you have a link to the plans so we can see what it might look like?

If it's going to cover a quarter of the city, it's going to have to be pretty big.....