Heeley Memories

Remember Sacamando's? it was a scooter repairers, on Wilson Place

Just off Gleadless Rd and at the back of the Shakey.

Here is a map for all you ex pats to drool over

Street map

and an aerial photo here

see the triangle in the middle, that is where Spencer rd meets Richards rd and Anns rd at the bottom crosses them.

Wife's Grandad used to have a bakery on Annes Road I think.

Originally posted by mikey

Remember Sacamando's? it was a scooter repairers, on Wilson Place

Just off Gleadless Rd and at the back of the Shakey.

good grief Mikey,that's a blast from the past ,me & my mates were alway's hanging around there.

Hi Banksia, the shop was on the corner of Wilson Place and Gleadless Road, and you're right it did have windows that were blacked out, the reason I think was that it was a pawn shop. Susan lived in the back of the shop,it could have been a back to back house,I don't think her family had anything to do with the

"pop shop"

Originally posted by marycrookes

Hi Banksia, the shop was on the corner of Wilson Place and Gleadless Road, and you're right it did have windows that were blacked out, the reason I think was that it was a pawn shop. Susan lived in the back of the shop,it could have been a back to back house,I don't think her family had anything to do with the

"pop shop"

Thanks Mary. it was Wilson Place and now you mention it I remember it was a pawn shop way back. Funny how when the memory is jogged it all comes flooding back.

Originally posted by kath

tosh,do you know michael siddalL?I remember him from about 1956-1963 roughly we use to hang about with other kids,he was a very kind kid.I think you are younger than me though!The Bells had a shop on the corner of annes road near st. peters church Denise and David Bell where the kids I remember,also Eades they lived in the last yard on Forster road,the shop on the corner was a fruit shop owned by Dawson Heaths mum and dad.I remember Amy Morton,I mentioned this in a previous thread,I lived up Gregory road.It is a shame its all gone,it was a good freindly area.If you want more info on the area get in touch through this site and I wll reply,Kath

Hi Kath my brothers are John,Malcolm, Barrie & sister Jayne & me Tony

hiya tony think i know you have you sussed who i am?Ialso have 2 sisters they are older than me.not that that matters!My love of heeley is still there after 20 odd years living away, it was my childhood.As I said before its a shame its all gone.I have a son living on myrtle road though I cant really recognise the area now,there seems not enough land for the amount of houses that were there.There was so many shops it is good to hear some people have not forgot their upbringing.We shall have to start another thread this ones nearly full.Bye for now Kath

Originally posted by kath

hiya tony think i know you have you sussed who i am?Ialso have 2 sisters they are older than me.not that that matters!My love of heeley is still there after 20 odd years living away, it was my childhood.As I said before its a shame its all gone.I have a son living on myrtle road though I cant really recognise the area now,there seems not enough land for the amount of houses that were there.There was so many shops it is good to hear some people have not forgot their upbringing.We shall have to start another thread this ones nearly full.Bye for now Kath

Alright Kath,tell me who you are the 3 sisters I remember are the Blair girls on Boyton street,c'mon kath put me out of my misery,cheers Tony 1

I didn't live in Heeley,I lived in Abbeydale but used to go down Broadfield Road to Heeley Baths where I seemed to spend half my days. Then to the Heeley Coli or palace if I had a tanner in my pocket. There was a billiard hall at the end of the road, where we'd gamble for the price of the table, and later when I was in the Navy go to the working men's club in uniform cos folks would always buy a poor sailor a pint!

Originally posted by buck

I didn't live in Heeley,I lived in Abbeydale but used to go down Broadfield Road to Heeley Baths where I seemed to spend half my days. Then to the Heeley Coli or palace if I had a tanner in my pocket. There was a billiard hall at the end of the road, where we'd gamble for the price of the table, and later when I was in the Navy go to the working men's club in uniform cos folks would always buy a poor sailor a pint!

Hi mate I used to go down to the Heeley Baths on saturday morning with my mate's & get in for free ,we used to put the chlorine around the swimming pool,great days.

Lots and lots of chlorine! I was something of a diver, loved that high board, till it wasn't high enough and dive off the viewing gallery, one slip would have been instant death!! I'd be in all Saturday morning from breakfast to dinnertime, crowd into those warm fiootbaths to get warm and get into competition for who could create the noisiest smelliest bubbles by flatulence, winner cleared the bath. Great days indeed do. Do the baths still exist?