What happened to these coach companies?

A long time gone! Syd Wood was a lovely bloke - I went to school in the sixties, with his daughter Pam who came third in a Miss England beauty contest. She used to be picked on at school because she was gorgeous and the mutts who bullied her weren't! She must be nearly 60 now - scary!

She worked for Tarmac Construction in a promotional role when I worked there in the middle 70's.

Yes, I think the "COACH ENTRANCE" sign is still there.The 1965 Kelly's Directory shows "W. Crossland & Sons" at 72 Whitehouse Road and "M.L. Crossland & Son" at 126 William Street, Broomhall as coach proprietors. A 1954 directory shows Dennis Crossland as a coach proprietor at 130 William Street.

High Hillsboro you look like the man in the know.Can you find a coach firm in the mid 50s who were based on Shiregreen Lane opposite the old brick yard which now has Barrett houses on the site.The coach firm was I think just a one man outfit who had A Bedford OB coach and the name on it said Sids or Jims coaches The premises are still there it is a individual big house on the corner painted white .

Hi petcharlie - I also seem to remember "Sid's Coaches" but I've looked in the 1950s directories that I have and I cannot find Sid's or Jim's mentioned. There also isn't a coach firm listed on Shiregreen Lane as you mention, though "G. Stanley, haulage contractor" was on the corner of Leedham Road. In case it's of interest to anyone, here is a list of coach firms in the 1954 Kelly's Directory.

Hi petcharlie - I also seem to remember "Sid's Coaches" but I've looked in the 1950s directories that I have and I cannot find Sid's or Jim's mentioned. There also isn't a coach firm listed on Shiregreen Lane as you mention, though "G. Stanley, haulage contractor" was on the corner of Leedham Road. In case it's of interest to anyone, here is a list of coach firms in the 1954 Kelly's Directory.

Hi Hillsboro, hope you and your good lady are well...

I lived on leedham close from 1967 for a good number of years, know the area well, I used to walk up and down shiregreen lane on numerous occasions and can state categoricaly there were no coach firms located there. opposite the brickyard is the cemetery.

Yes thanks - as well as can be expected for a just-turned-71 year-old (Mrs Hillsbro) and an almost 70 year-old (me)! I don't know where the years went... :?

I just had a look at Holme Lane using "instantstreetview.com" and found that Hirst & Sweeting's "COACH ENTRANCE" sign is still there as "Person6" and I thought, though it's mostly covered by a Hawley's Tyres banner - see here.

I lived on leedham close from 1967 for a good number of years, know the area well, I used to walk up and down shiregreen lane on numerous occasions and can state categoricaly there were no coach firms located there. opposite the brickyard is the cemetery.

Thanks padders but I am going back to the early 50s and on the corner of Shiregreen Lane and Leedham Road there is a large detached house and parked in the yard I remember a Bedford ob coach parked there all the time and it was Sids or Jims coaches.

Thanks padders but I am going back to the early 50s and on the corner of Shiregreen Lane and Leedham Road there is a large detached house and parked in the yard I remember a Bedford ob coach parked there all the time and it was Sids or Jims coaches.

You could be right there Charlie, there is a big house standing there, and room enough for a coach (sharrow he he). bit before my time though.

Just seen this. Yes Syd wood was a gentleman all of his life. He sadly passed away Friday 13th July. I'm his granddaughter. My Auntie Pam is fine but older than 60

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 22:30 ----------

Anybody wanting to know about Syd Wood coaches, he carried on for many years. Syd sadly passed away Friday 13th July age 93. I am his granddaughter Nicola Wood

Wasn't there Booth & Fisher (Killamarsh area) too ?

Sounds just like my Grandad, a true gentleman who would help anybody. Syd sadly passed away Friday 13th July. He will be missed a lot by many

Wasn't there Booth & Fisher (Killamarsh area) too ?

I think it was a Booth & Fisher bus that I sometimes used to catch between Sheffield and Dronfield.

What happened to Otters coaches in the 50/60's