Searching for an old friend, Wendy Barford

I am trying to find an "old" friend of mine from many years ago. Her name then was Wendy Barford and we worked together at S & E Co-op at the bottom of Ecclesall Road. We lost touch and I don't remember much more than that we got on very well. She lived with her Grandparents on or near School Road, Crookes. Any help would be very much appreciated. She probably got married and her surname will have changed. It is very difficult to find someone when you don't know there present surname. I do hope that there is someone out there who might be able to give me some news.

Edited by grannypat
No replies yet.

Just came accross your post about Wendy Barford, I believe she is my cousin who I have not seen since 1966. she moved to sheffield to live with her Grandparents his name was Albert Quickfall. we were best friends in Liverpool before our Grandmother died. Did you ever find her? if so can you give me information about her. My name is Jimmy Lenton and I now live in the USA. If you could give me your phone# I will call you and we could exchange info.

Kind Regards, Jimmy Lenton.

The only one getting married around the right time was

Wendy E Barford

Spouse: Robert Bentley

Marriage: Dec 1979 - South Shields, Durham

I grew up in Crookes and do remember the name.

Hi Rivelin6,

Thanks for that. I'm not sure if that might be my friend or not. I would have thought that she would have got married well before that though but I could be wrong. You will see from the previous reply from mboygrape that he is obviously related to Wendy and might know if she had a middle name because I cannot remember. I hope to delve a little deeper into this clue as soon as I have 5 free minutes together. Thank you so much for finding that out for me, I am very grateful.

Grannypat

Hi mboygrape,

I have sent you a private message. Stick with me kid, we'll find her eventually I'm sure. The lovely people on this site will give us some help I just know.

grannypat

Hi Rivelin6,

Thanks for that. I'm not sure if that might be my friend or not. I would have thought that she would have got married well before that though but I could be wrong. You will see from the previous reply from mboygrape that he is obviously related to Wendy and might know if she had a middle name because I cannot remember. I hope to delve a little deeper into this clue as soon as I have 5 free minutes together. Thank you so much for finding that out for me, I am very grateful.

Grannypat

Around what year would you have thought she would have got married? This would help with the search. Her age would help too.

Pat, Wendy did not have a middle name. I can believe she was unhappy, I visited her once in Sheffield and Albert made it clear we were not welcome and should not visit again. The last time I saw Wendy was I believe in 1966, she was pregnant I moved to the States the next year and never saw her again I sent several letters to her grandfathers house but knowing him they never reached Wendy. The older I get the more I think of her and the wonderful summers we spent together as children, I would love nothing more than to see her again.

Jimmy.

There isn't any record of a Wendy Barford born before 1955 so if it's her she couldn't have pregnant in 1966:confused: The one marrying in South Shields in 1979 was the one born in 1955 :confused::confused:

Do you think she was born under a different name and where did she live before her grandad's?

Name: Wendy C B Quickfall

Mother: Quickfall

Birth: Jun 1947 - Liverpool North, Lancashire

I think this might be her I know her cousin mentioned Liverpool.

Think this might be the child she was expecting as well.

Anthony Perregin Barford Cuickfall

Mother: Barford Quickfall

Birth: Jun 1966 - Sheffield, Yorkshire, Northumberland/Westmorland

Edited by SILLY

Spouse: Beresford

Marriage: Dec 1966 - Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding

Other: QApr-Oct-Nov-Dec 1966

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005

Marriage & Divorce

View Image

Spouse: Fowler

Marriage: Dec 1966 - Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding

Other: QApr-Oct-Nov-Dec 1966

Could be one of these seems strange both being same time same name but maybe her husband changed his name and got married using both.

I know this because I am down as being married to 2 different men on the same day. My husband's Mother remarried and changed his name when he was 5 but not officially so we were advised to use both on the marriage certificate. It came in very usefull when he needed to get a passport.

So I assume she will now be Wendy Fowler or Beresford unless of course she has got divorced and remarried.

she was born in Liverpool 1947, mother Barbara died very young not sure when. Grandparents Ernest Lenton and Florence Quickfall, when Florence died Wendy moves to sheffield

I am trying to find an "old" friend of mine from many years ago. Her name then was Wendy Barford and we worked together at S & E Co-op at the bottom of Ecclesall Road. We lost touch and I don't remember much more than that we got on very well. She lived with her Grandparents on or near School Road, Crookes. Any help would be very much appreciated. She probably got married and her surname will have changed. It is very difficult to find someone when you don't know there present surname. I do hope that there is someone out there who might be able to give me some news.

I know it's a terrible longshot - your post is almost 8 years old now - but I think we're talking about the same person. I worked at the CO-OP too - and met Wendy around 1963/4 - at the time she was living in a flat on Grange Crescent Road - off the top of Cemetery Road. Quite tall and elegant, very pretty, quite reserved and well-spoken - relatives in Liverpool. I often wonder what happened to her.