Tom Lane residents

Hello

we are trying to trace the history of our house (154 Tom Lane Fulwood) and i am trying to research as much online as i can before we head to the achieves in the city centre.

so far we have the first ever owner- William and Eleanor sotheran (around 1911) and William and Lucy Andrew ( def there in 1939,1957 and 1969)

i am looking for residents or family that can shed any light on the names above or any other owners to fill in the gaps

Thank you!

Hi mrsb22 - welcome to the Forum! White's Directory for 1911 confirms that William H. Sotheran, a bank clerk, was the householder of 154 Tom Lane at that time, and Kelly's directories from 1925 to 1974 show William Andrew, an engineer, at that that address. Perhaps you have the 1911 census data for Wiliam and Eleanor Sotheran with their daughter Joan, and the "1939 Register" entry with William and Lucy Andrew.

Thanks hillsbro thats great info,

i really appreciate your help, mrsb22

In the newspapers in 1914, a Mrs Wilks of 154 Tom Lane is looking for a cook.

In 1915, Mr Wilks of 154 Tom Lane has sent a letter to Sheffield Evening Telegraph.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Deaths. 10 Sep 1928. Mr Edward Bernard Wilks of 20 Ashfurlong Road ,Dore., formerly of 154 Tom Lane, ironmonger, Chairman of the firm of Wilks Bros.

& Co. Ltd., Exchange Street, Sheffield.

Thanks Moirahyde thats really interesting

im fairly knew to this- is that information i could find myself through the internet or are you subscribed to certain sites? will have a look now!!

I think Eric Taylor, he of Sheffield Wednesday FC perhaps lived in Tom Lane.

I think Eric Taylor, he of Sheffield Wednesday FC perhaps lived in Tom Lane.

He did, I used to deliver his Star newspaper.

further to my search for residents of 154 Tom Lane we have come across the family wilks who lived here around 1914, particularly edward bernard wilks who was part of wilks bros ironmongers, he lived with his wife Kate and i believe his children Barbara and Edward Howard, Barbara went on to marry gordon simpson and sadly edward jr died in 1926 aged 29

i can find plenty of info on wilks bros itself- plenty of photos of the various buildings they occupied but no photos of the family or house

i'd love to hear/see any info anyone has on this family

thanks

mrsb22

Directories indicate that William Andrew lived at 154 Tom Lane from 1925 or earlier to 1974 or later (he died in 1984). However, it seems that in 1930 he wanted to sell the house - here is an advertisement from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 21 July 1930. As the 1925 Kelly's Directory would have been compiled in mid-1924, it was presumably William Andrew who offered a range of goods for sale in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 6 December 1924.

Here is Mr Wilks' letter of 1915 that Moirahyde mentioned above.

A subscription to findmypast.co.uk allows access to scanned newspapers; there is also the British Newspaper Archive etc.

Thanks hillsbro

I could find a few of those stories on the british national archives page but without a subscription i was only allocated a certain amount of pages to view, but with your help I've now viewed them all

thanks again!