F1 2017 Megathread

Looking a bit like deja vu with F1 at the moment isn't it? Shame as I was hoping to see some real movement in the pack with the new rule changes but it doesn't look like anyone is going to do a Brawn this year.

Well Ferrari appear to be the quickest in testing surprisingly.

Although you do wonder if Mercedes will turn the wick up on their car.

Any thought's on Sunday's race? Nice to see Seb get the first win of the season.

I predicted 10 DNFs, did get get six?

Any thought's on Sunday's race? Nice to see Seb get the first win of the season.

I predicted 10 DNFs, did get get six?

Boring race, decided on a pit stop.

The rule changes appear to have made things worse. Fingers crossed China is a much better show.

The only interesting bit of the race was Seb winning but Ferrari have won the odd race at the start of the season before.

---------- Post added 09-04-2017 at 23:25 ----------

A much better GP than Australia but could still do with a little bit more overtaking.

Decent win for Lewis, it looks like the title race will be more interesting this year.

China was no better for me.

Really? I thought China was one of the best races for years. Cars pushing all the way to the flag, genuine overtakes that took effort and skill and not just DRS although DRS was still needed but only the overtakes on Alonso were enabled by DRS alone. I was pleasantly surprised and hope for similar this weekend too.

Boring race, decided on a pit stop.

This is the thing about F1. They have to introduce things like pit stops with rules about what and when types of tyres must be used in order to generate some sort of excitement. Otherwise it would just be cars circulating for 70 odd laps with nothing much happening after the first few laps.

The MotoGP bikes are much more exciting but unfortunately they have been hijacked by BT sports so not many can get to see it.

Maybe shorter race distances would be better for F1?

Really? I thought China was one of the best races for years. Cars pushing all the way to the flag, genuine overtakes that took effort and skill and not just DRS although DRS was still needed but only the overtakes on Alonso were enabled by DRS alone. I was pleasantly surprised and hope for similar this weekend too.

Agreed it takes more skill to overtake now. Drivers will have to go back to being brave and going for the gap rather than relying on DRS like they have been.

That said some tracks just are no good for overtaking.

This is the thing about F1. They have to introduce things like pit stops with rules about what and when types of tyres must be used in order to generate some sort of excitement. Otherwise it would just be cars circulating for 70 odd laps with nothing much happening after the first few laps.

The MotoGP bikes are much more exciting but unfortunately they have been hijacked by BT sports so not many can get to see it.

Maybe shorter race distances would be better for F1?

I like MotoGP as well but some years can be dominated by one rider still. Although the racing is always dramatic as someone will fall off etc.

OK win for Vettel yesterday but as a spectacle, not too enthralling.

I thought it was a decent race but still decided on the Hamilton punishment though. I do think if you took away his time penalty it would have been a close end to the race.

Fair play to Lewis he admitted he messed up, in the past he would be blaming the stewards for being too harsh.

Yes, credit to him for that. He manned up when he could have just complained that he'd been done.