The Cross Scythes, derbyshire lane

We used to go alot. It made a pleasant change from The Sheaf View (I believe Mr Birkett had a falling out with Thornbridge and being the sort of bloke who DOES hold a grudge has refused to sell their beer ever since!). However, it's rare we visit now. Last time was a couple of weeks ago. Saturday, about 1800. Totally deserted. On the plus side the beer was spot on and there was a great choice - though a bit too much headache material for my liking. But it doesn't seem quite the same as when the previous couple ran it. If I'm after a Thornbridge fix I'll probably stroll over to The Stag instead though this can suffer from outbreaks of middle class kids syndrome ("Stop that at once Mungo" etc etc)

It's too big so it often feels deserted. It should be doing a lot better than what it is though.

Needs to do more food and more advertising of that food, although the kitchen size is a problem.

We used to go alot. It made a pleasant change from The Sheaf View (I believe Mr Birkett had a falling out with Thornbridge and being the sort of bloke who DOES hold a grudge has refused to sell their beer ever since!). However, it's rare we visit now. Last time was a couple of weeks ago. Saturday, about 1800. Totally deserted. On the plus side the beer was spot on and there was a great choice - though a bit too much headache material for my liking. But it doesn't seem quite the same as when the previous couple ran it. If I'm after a Thornbridge fix I'll probably stroll over to The Stag instead though this can suffer from outbreaks of middle class kids syndrome ("Stop that at once Mungo" etc etc)

Most of the places you go to (Waitrose, The Graze, etc.) seem to be full of children with pretentious names.

Both The Cross Scythes and The Stag involve walks up incredibly steep hills.

So what us this place like at the moment? Used to go in regularly but a family that always seemed to be in there plus when the nice managers moved to

Harrogate and we stopped going in. Still not great?

Hi,

last time i was in the cross scythes was a few months ago & i was impressed. it holds regular pizza oven events which gets very busy & has a large selection of real ales. The function room at the back holds around 60/70 people & is separated from the rest of the pub. Also the abbey on the corner of abbey lane & woodseats road has recently reopened after a re-fit & has a private function room upstairs. Hope this helps

My dad's local, its a fantastic pub. Its ran by the Thornbridge Brewery so loads of good ales and lagers on. Dogs and kids welcome. When its empty it seems massive but the function room is great for a party, we had my dad's 50th there last year.

Not been for a couple of years. Have to go there soon so shall be interested to see if it`s improved / addressed problems.

Guest makapaka
My dad's local, its a fantastic pub. Its ran by the Thornbridge Brewery so loads of good ales and lagers on. Dogs and kids welcome. When its empty it seems massive but the function room is great for a party, we had my dad's 50th there last year.

Glad it's doing well - might give it a try this weekend - hopefully not too many dogs and kids though!

Not enough choice o'grog!!!

We finally popped in last Sunday, first time in a couple of years. Pub seemed ok, quiet mind, beer in good nick although all Thornbridge. We hoped to get some food but they weren`t keen.

Beer festival there this weekend. Enjoyed last couple of visits.