Sheffield Wednesday feeling the pinch of FFP.

Who said they wished for the clubs owners to break the rules, I said they would do it if it was in the clubs interest, if the club breaks them and gains promotion the transfer embargo doesn't mean a thing as it only applies in the football league.

I love all the talk of how united are doing everything the right way and I have a lovely photoshopped collection of similar comments for the time when it all goes pearshaped.

I'm very happy with the progress and direction our chairman is taking the club in, your attenmpts to put a negative spin on it are futile.

Can I ask (this is the 3rd time) who the players are who have been bought for "ridiculous amounts".

When a chairman turns towards personally sponsoring shirts, stands and what ever he can as well as increasing ticket prices to one of, if not the highest in the league. All of this to produce as much revenue as possible and to raise the FFP level that they are extremely close to and will remain extremely close to afterwards.

This has to be considered "crazy spending on players".

However in your opinion, it is completely fine to break rules as long as we are promoted because we will only receive fines and no embargo.

With accounts now scrutinised over 3 years and with the level of investment that Chasiri has put in so far, can you guys really afford a continued lack of success in attempting to get to the premier league?. Mr Chasiri now has a continued commitment in sponsoring the shirt and stands because should he suddenly stop, you lot are up a creek without a paddle. He has now by the sounds of it very much stretched himself to the limit. His only option now would be to break the rules unless he has a massive sale at the club.

It is all very stretched and hands tied behind backs now. I think "gamble" being a very apt word for what is going on now after previous failed attempts. How much is too much and how much is enough?

Edited by charmingman

Its the digging season again , keep it up jealousy is very a destructive trait:hihi:

I speak to many a Wednesdayite on my unit, many seriously unhappy with the "bottler" Rhodes.

Its not a dig when a poster points out some players have been over paid for. i name Rhodes as a perfect example, a leading, expensive striker , should lead by example.....fact.

Not bottle his role, would you want to work with a work collegue who is paid 3 times your wage and refuses to do his job ? and sure his team mate feel the same.

ITS NOT A DIG, ITS A DEBATE.

Huddersfields main players last year where all loans from the Prem so the shoe string was being tied by others,

As to sponsoring our own club perhaps your joint owners will do the same after all the richest people in the World are the Saudi royal family although one wonders if they or United actually own Bramall Lane or if that is owned by Scarborough holdings along with the hotel etc.

I fail to see completely what you are getting at here? The Premier League academy loanees may have turned out to be some of the most influential in the team however still accounted to a small percentage of recruitment into the club. Never the less a fantastic model of how these few loans can compliment a squad that is built shrewdly on a budget.

I am struggling to understand the last bit due to lack of grammar however should you have concerns about who the owners of our fixed assets actually are? I recommend view the accounts which outline this in full.

We are fine operating as we are. As revenue increases, we will grow with it and as our owners have said, "money will be available as and when the manager wants it".

I touched on this on here the other day and for whatever reason one of the other members jumped on their high horse and had a go at me and made out that I was wrong and scaremongering. Carlos has another interview with The Star this weekend and proves me to be correct. Never the less though it is a valid discussion point and not about scoring points, I just wondered what people thought about this.

After spending ridiculous amounts on individual players over the last few seasons it was inevitable that this time would come. Mr Chasiri can only inject revenue into certain areas of the club in order to help fund things however it appears that even he now has to stop writing those cheques. This may come to a surprise for those Owls fans who wrongly believed that their new owners cheque book deliver a bottomless pot of dough.

On being asked about signing two centre backs, Carlos Carvalhal told the star the following "Clubs are asking for money that we can’t pay and that is the reality so we must be careful".

It seems that The Owls have finally come to a point that all knowledgeable football fans who understand FFP knew would happen. In order to sign players, the owls either need to shop elsewhere or alternatively sell players to fund the new signings. The problem being that clubs will expect more from Wednesday because they have slashed the cash, therefore price tags will automatically rise.

It seems the majority of the pot has been spent in the attacking third of the pitch yet the clubs leading goalscorer last season only managed 12 goals. According to some on here and on other messageboards it seems that Sheffield Wednesday have needed defensive players for quite a white, but it appears that this was never factored into the clubs crazy spending.

It seems they now hit a crossroads.

Source of quote: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-carvalhal-reveals-why-owls-are-having-to-be-patient-in-hunt-for-centre-halves-1-8652438

Its a simple question,which i'll ask you for a second time,...which players have Wednesday spent,in your words,ridiculous amounts on.. ?

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 15:47 ----------

I speak to many a Wednesdayite on my unit, many seriously unhappy with the "bottler" Rhodes.

Its not a dig when a poster points out some players have been over paid for. i name Rhodes as a perfect example, a leading, expensive striker , should lead by example.....fact.

Not bottle his role, would you want to work with a work collegue who is paid 3 times your wage and refuses to do his job ? and sure his team mate feel the same.

ITS NOT A DIG, ITS A DEBATE.

Just to clarify..he didn't refuse to take a penalty,he said he didnt feel confident in taking one...but would if the manager insisted..

But don't let the truth get in the way of point scoring eh..?..:thumbsup:

Edited by Sheridan1-0

When a chairman turns towards personally sponsoring shirts, stands and what ever he can as well as increasing ticket prices to one of, if not the highest in the league. All of this to produce as much revenue as possible and to raise the FFP level that they are extremely close to and will remain extremely close to afterwards.

However in your opinion, it is completely fine to break rules as long as we are promoted because we will only receive fines and no embargo.

With accounts now scrutinised over 3 years and with the level of investment that Chasiri has put in so far, can you guys really afford a continued lack of success in attempting to get to the premier league?. Mr Chasiri now has a continued commitment in sponsoring the shirt and stands because should he suddenly stop, you lot are up a creek without a paddle. He has now by the sounds of it very much stretched himself to the limit. His only option now would be to break the rules unless he has a massive sale at the club.

It is all very stretched and hands tied behind backs now. I think "gamble" being a very apt word for what is going on now after previous failed attempts. How much is too much and how much is enough?

Or put another way a chairman invests as much as he can whilst staying within the rules, you'll find many clubs do exactly the same including ones in the Premier League, he hasn't had to do it he's wanted to do it.

Why would he suddenly stop?

The transfer window is open for another 6 or 7wks we'll see by then if his hands are tied behind his back, I think you'll find they wont be.

Incidentally he has also said for the second season running that no players that the club see as essential players will be sold, so where does that fit into your conspiracy theory?

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 15:51 ----------

I fail to see completely what you are getting at here? The Premier League academy loanees may have turned out to be some of the most influential in the team however still accounted to a small percentage of recruitment into the club. Never the less a fantastic model of how these few loans can compliment a squad that is built shrewdly on a budget.

I am struggling to understand the last bit due to lack of grammar however should you have concerns about who the owners of our fixed assets actually are? I recommend view the accounts which outline this in full.

We are fine operating as we are. As revenue increases, we will grow with it and as our owners have said, "money will be available as and when the manager wants it".

He also said "game changing investement on the scale of Liverpool" so I'd take that with a pinch of slat.

Edited by top4718

Other than an article in The Star where the manager re-iterates what he's being saying for the past two years,you have no other evidence or facts to back up what your saying....you have no idea of the financial situation at Hillsborough or how close or how far Wednesday are from the FFP limit..i think your trying very hard to scare-monger..

Other than an article in The Star where the manager re-iterates what he's being saying for the past two years,you have no other evidence or facts to back up what your saying....you have no idea of the financial situation at Hillsborough or how close or how far Wednesday are from the FFP limit..i think your trying very hard to scare-monger..

A little to hard, must have too much time on his hands, I've not come across one Owls fan who is in the slightest bit concerned.

Just to clarify..he didn't refuse to take a penalty,he said he didnt feel confident in taking one...but would if the manager insisted..

But don't let the truth get in the way of point scoring eh..?..:thumbsup:

:o

Wow!

If that's true then it's even worse than we thought.

He didn't feel confident in taking one... but would take one if the manager insisted.

Well of course he would have taken one if the manager insisted... he wouldn't have had a choice would he?

But it's obvious from this that he was looking to cover his own back in the event of him missing (even to the extent of blaming the manager who insisted he take one) but was at the same time prepared to accept the 'glory' had he scored.

That really is bottling it in a BIG way! :|

Or put another way a chairman invests as much as he can whilst staying within the rules, you'll find many clubs do exactly the same including ones in the Premier League, he hasn't had to do it he's wanted to do it.

Why would he suddenly stop?

The transfer window is open for another 6 or 7wks we'll see by then if his hands are tied behind his back, I think you'll find they wont be.

Incidentally he has also said for the second season running that no players that the club see as essential players will be sold, so where does that fit into your conspiracy theory?

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 15:51 ----------

He also said "game changing investement on the scale of Liverpool" so I'd take that with a pinch of slat.

Why is that? Simply because he isn't throwing crazy amounts about during the first window? Simply because he isn't pushing us right up the the limit of what we are allowed?

The way I see it is that the manager is calling the shots at the minute. He has played down the budget that he has because he isn't willing to pay over the odds for any individual player. He also wants any new signings to fit into what he considers to already be a very good team, a team which he feels is more than capable of meeting the next target of cementing ourselves in the Championship. Why change what isn't broken?

I keep hearing how our team is on lower league standard, yet the experience within it is far superior than what many wish to believe. I personally feel that our "Championship standard" squad is the main factor behind us walking League One, of course Wednesday fans will put it down to it becoming a suddenly poor league overnight.

Simon Moore GK - Cardiff (Championship)

Daniel Lafferty DF - Burnley (Premier League, Championship)

Jack O'Connell DF - Brentford (Championship)

Keiron Freeman DF - Derby (Championship)

Enda Stevens DF - Aston Villa (Premier League, Championship, Europa Lg)

George Baldock DF - MK Dons ( Championship)

Richard Stearman DF - Wolves (Premier League, Championship)

John Fleck - MF - Blackpool (Championship, SPL)

Chris Basham MF - Bolton - (Premier League, Championship)

Paul Coutts MF - Derby (Championship)

Mark Duffy MF - Birmingham (Championship)

Samir Carruthers MF - Aston Villa, MK (Premier League, Championship)

Billy Sharp FW - Southampton (Premier League, Championship)

Leon Clarke FW - Numerous (Championship)

Ched Evans FW - Man City, Blades (Premier League, Championship)

With the experience above, maybe it wasn't a fluke that we romped home in League One after all?. The simple fact being that Wilder has built a team full of experience and with many players who have a point to prove. Some may have been given the cold shoulder at Championship level and want to shpow themselves as more than capable of playing in that league.

You may also notice a few of the new lads in there, the same new lads who are signed from the lower leagues? The same new lads who the majority have played at that level and higher, the same new lads who have won player of the season awards in their last campaign after standing out as head and shoulders above that level, the same new lads who many a Championship club have been scouting and many of which have bidded for.

Ever thought that throwing £9m here and £5m there, may not be the answer? Well so far actually this has been proven to be true hasn't it? Whilst teams built sensibly and shrewdly have enjoyed success? We haven't even set our sights on promotion, as I keep saying all we want is to establish ourselves in that league again. So far nothing backs up the blue tinted rationing that suggests that we aren't equipped and will flop at that level.

We have our way of going about things, you lot have yours. So far your method have been proven to be an expensive "nearly" method, ours on the other hand hasn't been tested yes has the right ingredients all be it different to the ingredients that you lot expect and want, this doesn't mean it won't create a good recipe.

:o

Wow!

If that's true then it's even worse than we thought.

He didn't feel confident in taking one... but would take one if the manager insisted.

Well of course he would have taken one if the manager insisted... he wouldn't have had a choice would he?

But it's obvious from this that he was looking to cover his own back in the event of him missing (even to the extent of blaming the manager who insisted he take one) but was at the same time prepared to accept the 'glory' had he scored.

That really is bottling it in a BIG way! :|

The previous poster said he refused to take one ....and i pointed out that wasn't the case....if you see it a different way then bully for you...

The Radio Sheffield section must close early on a Monday...:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 16:33 ----------

Why is that? Simply because he isn't throwing crazy amounts about during the first window? Simply because he isn't pushing us right up the the limit of what we are allowed?

The way I see it is that the manager is calling the shots at the minute. He has played down the budget that he has because he isn't willing to pay over the odds for any individual player. He also wants any new signings to fit into what he considers to already be a very good team, a team which he feels is more than capable of meeting the next target of cementing ourselves in the Championship. Why change what isn't broken?

I keep hearing how our team is on lower league standard, yet the experience within it is far superior than what many wish to believe. I personally feel that our "Championship standard" squad is the main factor behind us walking League One, of course Wednesday fans will put it down to it becoming a suddenly poor league overnight.

With the experience above, maybe it wasn't a fluke that we romped home in League One after all?. The simple fact being that Wilder has built a team full of experience and with many players who have a point to prove. Some may have been given the cold shoulder at Championship level and want to shpow themselves as more than capable of playing in that league.

You may also notice a few of the new lads in there, the same new lads who are signed from the lower leagues? The same new lads who the majority have played at that level and higher, the same new lads who have won player of the season awards in their last campaign after standing out as head and shoulders above that level, the same new lads who many a Championship club have been scouting and many of which have bidded for.

Ever thought that throwing £9m here and £5m there, may not be the answer? Well so far actually this has been proven to be true hasn't it? Whilst teams built sensibly and shrewdly have enjoyed success? We haven't even set our sights on promotion, as I keep saying all we want is to establish ourselves in that league again. So far nothing backs up the blue tinted rationing that suggests that we aren't equipped and will flop at that level.

We have our way of going about things, you lot have yours. So far your method have been proven to be an expensive "nearly" method, ours on the other hand hasn't been tested yes has the right ingredients all be it different to the ingredients that you lot expect and want, this doesn't mean it won't create a good recipe.

One good year in six and you suddenly are experts in how to run a football club.....One swallow doesn't make a summer eh..?

Its a simple question,which i'll ask you for a third time,...which players have Wednesday spent,in your words,ridiculous amounts on.. ?

All well and good if it works, what if it doesn't.

Of the names you mention just having played in the Championship doesn't make you a Championship quality player, Leon Clarke and Ched Evans to name but two were totally out of thier depth.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 16:52 ----------

All well and good if it works, what if it doesn't.

As for not throwing money around in the first window the game changing statement was made about 8 transfer windows ago.

Of the names you mention just having played in the Championship doesn't make you a Championship quality player, Leon Clarke and Ched Evans to name but two were totally out of thier depth.

I'd also suggest that £1.5m for a fullback in L1 is silly money.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 16:55 ----------

Right thats my last word on this ridiculos thread, I might revive it later in the season. :thumbsup:

Edited by top4718

The previous poster said he refused to take one ....and i pointed out that wasn't the case....if you see it a different way then bully for you...

The Radio Sheffield section must close early on a Monday...:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 16:33 ----------

One good year in six and you suddenly are experts in how to run a football club.....One swallow doesn't make a summer eh..?

Don't know about that,look at Huddersfield last season,they suddenly became experts on how to run a football club after about 1 good year in 6.