Sheffield Wednesday feeling the pinch of FFP.

I touched on this on here the other day and for whatever reason one of the other members jumped on their high horse and had a go at me and made out that I was wrong and scaremongering. Carlos has another interview with The Star this weekend and proves me to be correct. Never the less though it is a valid discussion point and not about scoring points, I just wondered what people thought about this.

After spending ridiculous amounts on individual players over the last few seasons it was inevitable that this time would come. Mr Chasiri can only inject revenue into certain areas of the club in order to help fund things however it appears that even he now has to stop writing those cheques. This may come to a surprise for those Owls fans who wrongly believed that their new owners cheque book deliver a bottomless pot of dough.

On being asked about signing two centre backs, Carlos Carvalhal told the star the following "Clubs are asking for money that we can’t pay and that is the reality so we must be careful".

It seems that The Owls have finally come to a point that all knowledgeable football fans who understand FFP knew would happen. In order to sign players, the owls either need to shop elsewhere or alternatively sell players to fund the new signings. The problem being that clubs will expect more from Wednesday because they have slashed the cash, therefore price tags will automatically rise.

It seems the majority of the pot has been spent in the attacking third of the pitch yet the clubs leading goalscorer last season only managed 12 goals. According to some on here and on other messageboards it seems that Sheffield Wednesday have needed defensive players for quite a white, but it appears that this was never factored into the clubs crazy spending.

It seems they now hit a crossroads.

Source of quote: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-carvalhal-reveals-why-owls-are-having-to-be-patient-in-hunt-for-centre-halves-1-8652438

Edited by charmingman

I touched on this on here the other day and for whatever reason one of the other members jumped on their high horse and had a go at me and made out that I was wrong and scaremongering. Carlos has another interview with The Star this weekend and proves me to be correct. Never the less though it is a valid discussion point and not about scoring points, I just wondered what people thought about this.

After spending ridiculous amounts on individual players over the last few seasons it was inevitable that this time would come. Mr Chasiri can only inject revenue into certain areas of the club in order to help fund things however it appears that even he now has to stop writing those cheques. This may come to a surprise for those Owls fans who wrongly believed that their new owners cheque book deliver a bottomless pot of dough.

On being asked about signing two centre backs, Carlos Carvalhal told the star the following "Clubs are asking for money that we can’t pay and that is the reality so we must be careful".

It seems that The Owls have finally come to a point that all knowledgeable football fans who understand FFP knew would happen. In order to sign players, the owls either need to shop elsewhere or alternatively sell players to fund the new signings. The problem being that clubs will expect more from Wednesday because they have slashed the cash, therefore price tags will automatically rise.

It seems the majority of the pot has been spent in the attacking third of the pitch yet the clubs leading goalscorer last season only managed 12 goals. According to some on here and on other messageboards it seems that Sheffield Wednesday have needed defensive players for quite a white, but it appears that this was never factored into the clubs crazy spending.

Source of quote: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-carvalhal-reveals-why-owls-are-having-to-be-patient-in-hunt-for-centre-halves-1-8652438

Its the digging season again , keep it up jealousy is very a destructive trait:hihi:

Its the digging season again , keep it up jealousy is very a destructive trait:hihi:

I'm not being funny and without prompting an argument as I am only putting my point across, however seriously, what do we have to be jealous about right now?

Our main focus point is always going to be ourselves. We have a very simple target of establishing ourselves as a Championship team again and after a very good season, a very good squad and an excellent manager, we feel we are more than capable of it.

In regards to Sheffield Wednesday, i'm not jealous in the slightest. Two failed play-off shots and with financial restrictions now coming into play it is highly probable that things are going to be a little more difficult and they may have missed a chance for a couple of years as other Championship clubs are throwing cash around and look likely.

We are in the same league and whilst that is the case, Sheffield Wednesday have nothing really that we don't. A few big names on the wage bill is of no relevance when you don't achieve anything with it.

Sensible constructive discussion by the way, would be nice to have the same back.

Guest sibon

Sensible constructive discussion by the way, would be nice to have the same back.

Except it isn't really. It is just the same old passive aggressive nonsense that you've posted under a hundred different usernames.

As for transfers, I'm pretty happy to have signed Rhodes and Boyd in this window. I'm sure that two good centre backs will arrive too. We should wait and see.

United look to be fishing in a different pond. I fear that they have a difficult season ahead.

Clubs asking for money that we can't pay doesn't mean we are restricted in our budget but that the selling club are over valuing their asset.

Can you itemise what the "crazy spending" has been?

Our chairman knows more about running a business than you and if we need CB's we will get them.

How do you know united have a good squad and manager in the Championship before a ball has been kicked?

just because a club is asking too much money that doesn't mean we can't afford it, it could just be we don't want to pay that much. i've no doubt the club has to watch the ffp rules but the club or mainly carlos have said things in the past that weren't true, rhoades being a prime example. coming out in the press making out we're loaded will no doubt push prices up so i can see why the club might say what they have.

of course it could be we have actually spent up but only the club know that. we'll see at the end of the transfer window what kind of money we actually had

just because a club is asking too much money that doesn't mean we can't afford it, it could just be we don't want to pay that much. i've no doubt the club has to watch the ffp rules but the club or mainly carlos have said things in the past that weren't true, rhoades being a prime example. coming out in the press making out we're loaded will no doubt push prices up so i can see why the club might say what they have.

of course it could be we have actually spent up but only the club know that. we'll see at the end of the transfer window what kind of money we actually had

For the record Mr Chansiri has said that he would be prepared to break the FFP barrier if it was in the clubs interest, deep down he doesn't want to but would if the need arose. If the manager wants CB's I have no doubt that we will get them, that doesn't mean we have to pay silly money though.

I dont think Carlos is saying anything different to what he's been saying for two seasons....the club and owner in particular are acutely aware of the FFP situation hence the reason we wont be drawn into paying over the odds on players....if you remember last season we were linked with Ross McCormack but we baulked at the price of £15m ..and he ended up elsewhere..

Its the same situation this time round...i've no doubt we have specific targets in mind but wont be drawn into paying silly amounts.....the owner is not a multi millionaire by throwing his money round..!

I think your attempt at scare-mongering has fallen a little short....but out of interest...which players have we spent "ridiculous amounts" of money on..?

Except it isn't really. It is just the same old passive aggressive nonsense that you've posted under a hundred different usernames.

As for transfers, I'm pretty happy to have signed Rhodes and Boyd in this window. I'm sure that two good centre backs will arrive too. We should wait and see.

United look to be fishing in a different pond. I fear that they have a difficult season ahead.

Firstly I feel you may have me confused with somebody else old chap.

In regards to the two signings, I feel that Boyd is genuinely a good acquisition and definitely addresses an area which appeared weak in the play-offs. In regards to Rhodes I think the jury is well and truly still out because he's not banging them in, although I believe that owls fans now state that he isn't about goals. I have seen the facts and statistics surrounding results whilst he was on the pitch however strikers are generally measured by goals.

As for the pond that we are fishing in, I well and truly hope that it remains an exclusive pond because I am witnessing some of the best football that I have seen from a United team in some time. The football played against Malaga the other night was absolutely fantastic and just follows on from the fantastic football of last season.

It seems we have this ever going debate about the supposed gulf in quality between the Championship and League One however there are fundamentally no figures to back up this statement. In fact the only real difference being that mediocre Championship players now cost three times as much as they did when we last played football in that division, hence Chris Wilder's "savvy" change in recruitment direction. All of the other pitch based statistics on paper remain exactly the same.

We understand the challenge ahead however we are equipping ourselves for it nicely. Our core target this year is to secure and cement ourselves as a Championship team, this in turn will allow us to generate further revenue to become a more competitive team in that division. Of course we could go down the "sponsor everything possible" style that Mr Chasiri has adopted in order to try and buy a bit of success however this doesn't come without risk and in the immediate future isn't on our agenda.

There are very good footballing templates to follow, for instance Huddersfield. All it takes is a new manager with a refreshing change in direction. He was able to construct a team on a relatively shoe string budget in comparison to the likes of you guys and the rest of the promotion chasing mob. By signing players from the German and British leagues and the complimenting these players with loan moves for young, top flight academy players, he was able to keep himself and his team out of the radar. And well let's face it the rest is history.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 14:52 ----------

For the record Mr Chansiri has said that he would be prepared to break the FFP barrier if it was in the clubs interest, deep down he doesn't want to but would if the need arose. If the manager wants CB's I have no doubt that we will get them, that doesn't mean we have to pay silly money though.

Why in their right mind anyone would wish for their clubs owners to breach financial rules is beyond me? Rules are in place for a reason and those who breach them should be heavily punished.

Maybe the fine wouldn't bother him however the impact of a transfer embargo would be a completely different story.

Yea I remember him saying that but I'm guessing it would have to be exceptional circumstances to deliberately break the ffp. Still plenty of time to get a cb in or two

In regards to the two signings, I feel that Boyd is genuinely a good acquisition and definitely addresses an area which appeared weak in the play-offs. In regards to Rhodes I think the jury is well and truly still out because he's not banging them in, although I believe that owls fans now state that he isn't about goals. I have seen the facts and statistics surrounding results whilst he was on the pitch however strikers are generally measured by goals.

As for the pond that we are fishing in, I well and truly hope that it remains an exclusive pond because I am witnessing some of the best football that I have seen from a United team in some time. The football played against Malaga the other night was absolutely fantastic and just follows on from the fantastic football of last season.

It seems we have this ever going debate about the supposed gulf in quality between the Championship and League One however there are fundamentally no figures to back up this statement. In fact the only real difference being that mediocre Championship players now cost three times as much as they did when we last played football in that division, hence Chris Wilder's "savvy" change in recruitment direction. All of the other pitch based statistics on paper remain exactly the same.

We understand the challenge ahead however we are equipping ourselves for it nicely. Our core target this year is to secure and cement ourselves as a Championship team, this in turn will allow us to generate further revenue to become a more competitive team in that division. Of course we could go down the "sponsor everything possible" style that Mr Chasiri has adopted in order to try and buy a bit of success however this doesn't come without risk and in the immediate future isn't on our agenda.

There are very good footballing templates to follow, for instance Huddersfield. All it takes is a new manager with a refreshing change in direction. He was able to construct a team on a relatively shoe string budget in comparison to the likes of you guys and the rest of the promotion chasing mob. By signing players from the German and British leagues and the complimenting these players with loan moves for young, top flight academy players, he was able to keep himself and his team out of the radar. And well let's face it the rest is history.

Why in their right mind anyone would wish for their clubs owners to breach financial rules is beyond me? Rules are in place for a reason and those who breach them should be heavily punished.

Maybe the fine wouldn't bother him however the impact of a transfer embargo would be a completely different story.

Huddersfields main players last year where all loans from the Prem so the shoe string was being tied by others,

As to sponsoring our own club perhaps your joint owners will do the same after all the richest people in the World are the Saudi royal family although one wonders if they or United actually own Bramall Lane or if that is owned by Scarborough holdings along with the hotel etc.

Who said they wished for the clubs owners to break the rules, I said they would do it if it was in the clubs interest, if the club breaks them and gains promotion the transfer embargo doesn't mean a thing as it only applies in the football league.

I love all the talk of how united are doing everything the right way and I have a lovely photoshopped collection of similar comments for the time when it all goes pearshaped.

I'm very happy with the progress and direction our chairman is taking the club in, your attenmpts to put a negative spin on it are futile.

Can I ask (this is the 3rd time) who the players are who have been bought for "ridiculous amounts".