Cycle Lane past station

A few years ago, my other half was thumped by a bike coming out of nowhere at Fargate - he was crossing the road, the cyclist tore round a bus that had pulled in to pick up passengers further down (outside what used to be Virgin) and we had checked the road to make sure it was safe to cross. The cyclist hit my other half full on - he must have been going at a fair old speed round that bus. He stopped only briefly then shot off - good thing my other half was only shook up, couldve easily broken his wrists when he fell forward. That has also made me very wary of my own cycling and mindful of pedestrians.

And if cyclists were made to display some form of identification such as a number plate then you'd have been able to contact the authorities and promptly had him arrested for leaving the scene and failure to report....

What about the cyclists that fly past the doors at the back of the train station! It really shocks me sometimes, I've nearly been knocked flying as I've emerged out those doors near the tram stop! I mean surely it just takes a bit of common sense that there might actually be people coming out of there and that those on bikes should try and slow down or dismount for a couple of seconds! Really!:roll:

I agree and that's why Sustrans Rangers have put signs at each end of the tram stop asking people to walk across the tram stop. These are not cyclists by the way, they are "knobs on bikes". Having said that the council could have put in a safe level cycle route when they created South Street Park but they failed to do so, preferring to put in heavily graded routes to Park Hill and the Cholera Monument.

That's not quite correct:

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.

and how many times on average can you successfully split any given hair?

i do appreciate the entertainment i get observing the lengths cyclists will go to to protect their perceived rights and entitlements even when they are clearly misled.

so very few can even prove that they have ever attained a reasonable level of proficiency before they started riding on roads and footways..which is a possible indication that potentially many of them may actually have had no formal training or in fact no idea at all as to how to ride safely on their bicycles with little or no accountability nor 3rd party insurance.

And if cyclists were made to display some form of identification such as a number plate then you'd have been able to contact the authorities and promptly had him arrested for leaving the scene and failure to report....

Only if there were injuries...

So by the sounds of it, just failure to exchange details. But since there was also no damage..

And the pedestrian stepped out in front of the bike, crossing the road from behind a stationary bus... I'm sure there's something in the highway code about that.

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 07:31 ----------

Judging on how people drive the argument about proficiency applies to car drivers as well! Granted, most of them have demonstrated once that they COULD drive as they should. But that doesn't mean that they've ever done so since.

Little or no accountability sounds about correct though doesn't it. Much like pedestrians, who are allowed to walk or run with no formal training and no insurance.

Warpig clarified where he cycled, didn't you see Fill? Are you going to revise your response?

And the pedestrian stepped out in front of the bike, crossing the road from behind a stationary bus... I'm sure there's something in the highway code about that.

Pedestrians were already on the road, gives them right of way, maybe you should read this Highway Code. :roll:

Only if there were injuries...

So by the sounds of it, just failure to exchange details. But since there was also no damage..

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 07:31 ----------

Judging on how people drive the argument about proficiency applies to car drivers as well! Granted, most of them have demonstrated once that they COULD drive as they should. But that doesn't mean that they've ever done so since.

Little or no accountability sounds about correct though doesn't it. Much like pedestrians, who are allowed to walk or run with no formal training and no insurance.

Warpig clarified where he cycled, didn't you see Fill? Are you going to revise your response?

The pedestrian was using the recognised crossing point and the bus was NOT directly in front of us, it was outside what was Virgin records. It was going nowhere - people were getting on and off the bus. We checked to make sure there was nothing coming and we were not the only people crossing the road either. That cyclist failed to take due care and attention when he shot around a stationary bus at a ridiculous speed. If he was familiar with that stretch of road the very least he should have done was slow down - and the curve in the road would give the cyclist an even better view of oncoing obstacles than it does for pedestrians.

The pedestrian was using the recognised crossing point and the bus was NOT directly in front of us, it was outside what was Virgin records. It was going nowhere - people were getting on and off the bus. We checked to make sure there was nothing coming and we were not the only people crossing the road either. That cyclist failed to take due care and attention when he shot around a stationary bus at a ridiculous speed. If he was familiar with that stretch of road the very least he should have done was slow down - and the curve in the road would give the cyclist an even better view of oncoing obstacles than it does for pedestrians.

I await yet more "entitled cyclist" arguements from Cyclone......

Here?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3811529,-1.4705604,3a,75y,133.73h,83.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3ITQctJ9FphuL9-H9mpHYA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 19:28 ----------

Pedestrians were already on the road, gives them right of way, maybe you should read this Highway Code. :roll:

Is that why it tells pedestrians not to step out from behind parked vehicles into the path of oncoming traffic? Perhaps "right of way" can't alter the laws of physics? :roll:

Here?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3811529,-1.4705604,3a,75y,133.73h,83.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3ITQctJ9FphuL9-H9mpHYA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 19:28 ----------

Is that why it tells pedestrians not to step out from behind parked vehicles into the path of oncoming traffic? Perhaps "right of way" can't alter the laws of physics? :roll:

Audrey Wixon: a DSA ADI; DIAmond, IAM and RoSPA Gold Advanced Driver; Fleet Trainer; Observer for Institute of Advanced Motorists; & National Standard cycling instructor:

"Bus drivers are trained to be aware that other road users might try to overtake them unsafely and often leave their right indicators flashing while waiting in queues, to encourage traffic to stay behind - so pay attention to their signals.

If you decide to overtake, then do so slowly because passengers often get off buses and then cross the road immediately in front of them because the door is at the front."

I knew you'd come back with more banal and irrelevant quotes.

Here's one to mull over, take note of the qualifications of the person I quoted, I highlighted one for you.

What was the quote then?

So, cycling instructor acknowledges that it's okay to pass buses... Great.

You're determined that it's going to be the fault of the cyclist that a pedestrian walked in front of them aren't you...

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 20:50 ----------

A few years ago, my other half was thumped by a bike coming out of nowhere at Fargate - he was crossing the road, the cyclist tore round a bus that had pulled in to pick up passengers further down (outside what used to be Virgin) and we had checked the road to make sure it was safe to cross. The cyclist hit my other half full on - he must have been going at a fair old speed round that bus. He stopped only briefly then shot off - good thing my other half was only shook up, couldve easily broken his wrists when he fell forward.

"Tore round" "full on"... So cyclist was doing what, 20 - 30 mph, and yet neither cyclists nor pedestrian were actually injured... :thumbsup:

Came out of nowhere I guess, road was clear, cycle must have decided to run into the pedestrians I guess after teleporting onto that bit of road... You know road, the thing vehicles are expected to be travelling on?

You really would argue black is blue if it meant favouring a cyclist.

Across several threads no less.

You're one of those entitled cyclists, one of those that won't admit fault.

Therefore your opinion on such further matters involving cyclists will be summarily dismissed. You have proven you cannot be objective.

What was the quote then? Did you miss the question?

You really would argue that black was white if it meant you could blame a cyclist. Across several threads no less.

You're one of those arrogant drivers who thinks that cyclists shouldn't be on the road and so blames them for everything.

Therefore your opinion on such matters involving roads will summarily dismissed. You have proven you cannot be objective.

You've also proven that you can't actually make any reasonable argument and have thrown your toys out of the pram.