Cycle Lane past station

because you are very unlikely to kill anyone riding a bike. The same is not true of a car. You don't need a licence/test/insurance for any of the following for exactly the same reason:

mobility scooter

wheelchair

lawnmower

scooter

skateboard

roller skates

walking

running

unicycling

Stop being ridiculous.

You road user yes or no? Now who's being ridiculous

The bit in bold could be read to say that you cycle on the footpath where it isn't a cycle lane.

It shouldn’t as it states ‘pedestrians’ who are walking in both the cycle lane and footpath. To them it’s just a footpath, part of which is a different colour.

You road user yes or no?

we all have a right to use the roads. no license or insurance needed.

we don't have any right to use a motor vehicle on them.

Edited by ads36

To ride a bicycle you dont.

Correct, nor should you.

"Perhaps motorists (who drive erratically much of the time) should be banned from stretches of road instead."

You were concerned that some stretches of road were very busy. Banning motorists from those stretches would make them much less busy. Problem solved right. :hihi:

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 12:04 ----------

I expect that we're all road users, as pedestrians, on public transport, on bikes, perhaps on horses, maybe on other things. The vast majority don't require a license, nor insurance. Only dangerous vehicles require both of those, so that's motorized vehicles. Everything else uses the road without restriction.

what? that makes no sense. I use the road in my car for which I need a licence and have one. I use the road on my bike for which i don't need a licence.

That cycle lane between office outlet and Moorfoot building is a joke, and who decided the crossing between decathlon and office outlet should be a toucan? Absolute nightmare trying to navigate the crossing island when it includes people and bicycles from both directions at rush hour.

'Decide' is probably a bit strong.

They had a target to meet to spend money on making the city 'cycle friendly' so they scatter gunned toucan crossings and bike lanes at random around the place.

That cycle lane between office outlet and Moorfoot building is a joke, and who decided the crossing between decathlon and office outlet should be a toucan? Absolute nightmare trying to navigate the crossing island when it includes people and bicycles from both directions at rush hour.

I get off and push my bike through the underpass - you can't see who is coming round the corners but the whole route chops and changes. For someone who is not road confident around the city centre and along St Mary's Gate, the cycle path alternatives are sparse. I'm not a speed cyclist by any means but still have to slow down and ring the bell to persuade pedestrains to get off the cycle path.

They had a target to meet to spend money on making the city 'cycle friendly' so they scatter gunned toucan crossings and bike lanes at random around the place.

:D certainly seems like that

---------- Post added 09-08-2018 at 09:41 ----------

I get off and push my bike through the underpass - you can't see who is coming round the corners but the whole route chops and changes. For someone who is not road confident around the city centre and along St Mary's Gate, the cycle path alternatives are sparse. I'm not a speed cyclist by any means but still have to slow down and ring the bell to persuade pedestrains to get off the cycle path.

I'm usually on foot. I try to make sure I stay off the red cycle paths but of course you have to cross over the cycle lane after the toucan and can't help but step onto it at the zebra crossing at the bottom of Moorfoot. Usually try to make sure I look behind when I do, but the one time Im in my own world will be the time when there's a cyclist coming knowing my luck.

I'd cycle more but after years of not doing so, I too am not very road confident and the quality of the cycle lanes puts me off further. But maybe I just need to get back on the bike and build that confidence back up. I just see cyclists often getting a lot of hassle from motorists.

Have seen a number of cyclists nearly get taken out near to farm road McDonald's when cars cut across the cycle lane to go up Granville road, and then the cyclists gets a mouth full having done nothing more than use a cycle lane for its purpose.

I don't think that is accurate.

"They" (the transport planners) try to get cycle facilities included in other projects as they happen. As I recall it, the improvements on Eyre St were a regeneration project which reduced the severance effect of the old dual carriageway road (there was a subway for pedestrians as I remember it).

The idea is put the cycle facilities in where and when there is money (which often isn't specifically for transport measures) to do so and try to link them up later.

Another case in point is the new segregated cycle lane on Charter Row, which is a part of a bigger plan for cycle routes but has been put in as part of the public realm works for the new retail development / HSBC HQ.

That's why the facilities appear to be scattered around and not all linked up as part of some grand plan.

There is generally very little money available for specifically putting in cycle facilities, so, the transport planners grab what they can whenever there is an opportunity. That's often when there is a new development happening or sometimes a wider regeneration project going in.

Sometimes the facilities you can actually provide at a location aren't optimal due to a number of factors like the amount of space or the amount of money available. At Eyre St there isn't much of a centre reserve, so a combined crossing is certainly sub-optimal, but was probably the best that could be done within the constraints.

So, is having a sub optimal cycle crossing better than not having one at all?

There's always money for expensive lawyers...

.. maybe they could use that?

:D certainly seems like that

---------- Post added 09-08-2018 at 09:41 ----------

I'm usually on foot. I try to make sure I stay off the red cycle paths but of course you have to cross over the cycle lane after the toucan and can't help but step onto it at the zebra crossing at the bottom of Moorfoot. Usually try to make sure I look behind when I do, but the one time Im in my own world will be the time when there's a cyclist coming knowing my luck.

I'd cycle more but after years of not doing so, I too am not very road confident and the quality of the cycle lanes puts me off further. But maybe I just need to get back on the bike and build that confidence back up. I just see cyclists often getting a lot of hassle from motorists.

Have seen a number of cyclists nearly get taken out near to farm road McDonald's when cars cut across the cycle lane to go up Granville road, and then the cyclists gets a mouth full having done nothing more than use a cycle lane for its purpose.

I'm only a recent returner to cycling, having taken a bad fall down stairs a couple of years ago, stil struggling when I walk long distances. I'm not a driver and not at all confident riding on main roads.

I won't cycle up Granville Road,I am not confident knowing there are buses, cars and vans waiting behind me, so I get off at the bottom at the roundabout where it is safe and push - mind you, then I get lip off other cyclists, like this morning accusing me of being lazy! I'm pushing a dirty great bike, for ghoodness sakes, I'm still getting exercise, lol. Can't win!

A few years ago, my other half was thumped by a bike coming out of nowhere at Fargate - he was crossing the road, the cyclist tore round a bus that had pulled in to pick up passengers further down (outside what used to be Virgin) and we had checked the road to make sure it was safe to cross. The cyclist hit my other half full on - he must have been going at a fair old speed round that bus. He stopped only briefly then shot off - good thing my other half was only shook up, couldve easily broken his wrists when he fell forward. That has also made me very wary of my own cycling and mindful of pedestrians.