Alternative to Windoze?

Hi Crosser, I got totally fed up with Windows around four years ago after years spent fighting bugs and failures. Unfortunately, some programs (and historical files for the business) needed Windows to run them so it became a little bit more complicated for us. After much research, we took the plunge and installed Fedora Linux XFCE (now on version 26). We did this because Fedora is well known as a good platform to run virtualisations from. Using Virtualbox, you can run any OS just as though it was installed normally, except that you can always have the basic install as a container. This works as a complete OS backup so despite any crashes, you can always get back to where you were over a tea break.

Linux has been almost bombproof though an update did crash it once. However, Clonezilla (backup software) soon fixed that. One really good advantage of this setup is that you can share drives across Linux and any containers (each contains an OS, say Win7, XP and Win10). Linux allows you to remove stubborn files that Windows won't let go of. Excellent!

Was it difficult? No not really though you will need patience and the ability to search out answers to questions on forums. Yes Linux is very different and it took a few weeks for the business to catch up but I wouldn't change back now. My days of buying or recommending MS products are over!!

There are many different 'flavours' of Linux so it will take time to find the one that suits you best. Make a list of what matters and then try to match it as best you can. We have an old IBM laptop used for Internet access purposes only that Ubuntu MATE has just restored to full working operation again (was XP) so some trial and error will be needed.

Good luck!

Edited by Afilsdesigne

Take a look at the unofficial manual I created for Zorin OS 12 Core and see if that meets your requirements. I use VirtualBox in Zorin for my VMs:

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11819812&postcount=6

Zorin 12.3 was included in the Cover DVD of Linux Format for June 2018

I got the "free upgrade" from W7 at the last minute! which (to be fair) was ok for about 18 months, then one day, it wouldn't boot ... just the cyan window and frozen spinning dots, all HD activity stopped and the lights went out on my Micro$oft mouse (it looked like a shutdown, except the screen was still on & the fans were all still running)........

SO I did the usual thing... waited a few weeks, then attempted a reinstall (via the web) which worked :hihi: ......

Until it did a few updates (6 I think, of which 2 were for Flash), then it went back to exactly the same scenario...

(note the only other thing I installed was Opera browser)

I've looked on several "knowledge bases" and tried several (so-called) fixes and up to now, nothing has worked.

This is a HP INTEL I3 (4gb ram) system with Nvidia GFX

I'm now using the very same system (only with Vista on a seperate HD) and it works perfectly apart from the obviously outdated software.

One thing seems to be missing, or I've missed you saying it.

Have you ever done a clean install of Windows 10. No updates or OS on the HDD, no previous partitions and start from scratch? Certainly worth a try.

If you have a bit of drive space, Install 10 clean and image it after updates and drivers but before installing all your bits and bobs. I use Macrium Free to do this on Windows (Don't forget to create a recovery drive)

Also, try other OS the same way... clean HDD

Yes it will take some time but at least you get a real idea what each can do. Live CD/USB are a good idea to have a look but don't give a true reflection of the speed an OS can run at.

Take your time and pick which works best for you.

Have you ever done a clean install of Windows 10. No updates or OS on the HDD, no previous partitions and start from scratch? Certainly worth a try.

This. Windows always leaves crap about when it does a major update, even major updates of Windows 10. I always tend to reinstall from scratch because it doesn't actually take very long.

This. Windows always leaves crap about when it does a major update, even major updates of Windows 10. I always tend to reinstall from scratch because it doesn't actually take very long.

Does it? mine doesn't..

and besides, you can always use disk cleanup to clear any old update stuff....

Never had that problem with updates on Win 10 even major ones. The trouble with installing from scratch is that unless you then have the latest version of the ISO it will be back to square one. As Ghozer points out do a disk cleanup and you can select to delete all unnecessary files including the updates and backups. But that should only be done if all is working fine after an update as there is no going back otherwise.

One thing seems to be missing, or I've missed you saying it.

If you have a bit of drive space, Install 10 clean and image it after updates and drivers but before installing all your bits and bobs. I use Macrium Free to do this on Windows (Don't forget to create a recovery drive)

Also, try other OS the same way... clean HDD

Yes it will take some time but at least you get a real idea what each can do. Live CD/USB are a good idea to have a look but don't give a true reflection of the speed an OS can run at.

Take your time and pick which works best for you.

It turns out that (for some reason) W10 does not like my onboard LAN card.

I switched it off in BIOS and switched on wireless, then it booted flawlessly.

No idea why though :(

Quote from a Zorin User:

"The EliteBook dual boots with Windows 10 & Zorin. Last September I gave in to installing the offered upgrade from Win 7 Professional to Win 10 and am very sorry I did. It is more stable now but when first installed it crashed constantly. I have seen more Blue Screens of Death in the past 6 months than I have in the preceding 10 years."

Which supports alcheresearch response of Windows 7 64-bit.

It turns out that (for some reason) W10 does not like my onboard LAN card.

I switched it off in BIOS and switched on wireless, then it booted flawlessly.

No idea why though :(

HP can be a PITA on certain hardware. I had an Elitedesk 800 mini G1 with M.2 & SATA. It turned out that about 2 other M.2 drives worked apart from the HP one at nearly £300 for a 128GB. I did have a lot of blue screens caused by the wifi card in that but an older Win 8 x64 driver sorted that. Worth a try?

I found the answer by copying the hardware ID from device manager and pasting it into Google.