RSPCA Approved Fish Rehoming

my friend and her partner recentley have started to keep fish and this is their first tank set up. they were filling me in about all the things they are learning and how you have to start with smaller fish and build up also how you can only have certain kinds together to start with and so on. i must admit that i was in the just add water camp and its actually v complex by the sounds of it. i think pet shops are guilty of promoting irresponsible ownership anway but particulalrly with fish you can purchase them with v little know how or info which is really bad. good job you guys are around to help

I must admit that i like the look of a zebra pleco or a bristlenose BUT i am resisting i know i don't have the space for it. what fish do you breed angilaruk

We have ancistrus, the albino's are standard finned, and the browns are longfinned. We are growing on some albino longfins and some standard finned L144's, and a pair of orange spot L182 that won't breed (yet). We also have a pair of ancistrus that no one seems able to identify. They are at maximum size, and the male is no more than 3", and they have a khaki/green tinge to them. They've bred twice, and unfortunately we lost both lots of fry.

We have the obligatory pure black bars and also some blondes. Some pelvicachromis taeniatus moliwe, some aggies, and we've some gorgeous purple apple snails and a few goldens. Lots of clutches of purples waiting to hatch. We've tried a couple of times to breed hoplo's but the males always eat the eggs :rant: lol

How about yourself? What do you breed?

Angi

Thats quite a long list... Would love to see some of those fish as i have never come across some of them always useful to know for ID purposes should i ever come across them in my time. I haven't had the time to get into breeding fish ( Apart from a few mistakes with Swordtails in my early days of fishkeeping) It is probably something i should get into but time and money is short. Most of my fish are rescued in my 4 foot tank i have 1x common plec, 2x Silver dollars, 2x Jade eyed Chiclids, Blue three spot gourami and theres my first ever fish i aquired 13 years ago an Otocinclus(If thats how you spell it not got the book in front of me lol). In the 3 foot tropical i have 2x Upside down catfish , one striped talking catfish and 2x Bovarian Rams rescued yesterday for been bullied by the bigger chiclids in the tank. Also i have a 2.5ft goldfish tank that is overstocked but thats because i rescued a few of the goldfish and waiting till the end of this month and the bigger ones are going to be moved into the pond we inherited when we moved in september . Also as well i have a smaller tank with 3x White clouds and 2x corydoras but that was another rescue i did and I am waiting for the new home to sort out space for it.

Well Dfishy, you're always welcome to come and see our little fish room, and when I say little, I really mean it!! It's 6ft x 6ft and has 20+ tanks ranging from 12" to 4ft.

I only got into fishkeeping about 3 years ago, and it's all been downhill since LOL

Angi

I agree Moonman ..... it's the same with rare pleco's to some extent. They see something like a zebra pleco, and "want one", regardless of the care required, or indeed the cost. Nevermind that most of the fish are in hiding for most of the day LOL

We have a fish room, with certain fish that we breed, but for the normal community tank, you want something that you can enjoy most of the time, not just some.

OK, I'd better get of my preaching stool, someone may come and knock me of soon ;p

Your quite right Angilaruk

I get people asking to buy Zebra Pleco from myself, and in the same sentence asking what they eat and what the temprature requirments are! surely if they spend that sort of money they could also spend a little time learning the fish's needs! before i bought my first 3 zebra's (now have 12), i read, re read, read some more, then read again, this way i was sure i could at least give them a decent start. i also breed L270, L411,L333,L066 and have some L400 due to start spawning soon as well. And as you mentioned, you never see any of them expect at feeding time!:D

hi iam setting a marine tank up i have had tropical for a long time whats the best fish to get of if anyone wants any rehomeing drop me a pm only got a 2 foot tank but i can try and help

thanks

darrell

I think you'll find with marines that they are far more expensive fish, and not many to a tank. You're highly unlikely to find anyone prepared to give away marines, but I guess it's worth a try

hi iam setting a marine tank up i have had tropical for a long time whats the best fish to get of if anyone wants any rehomeing drop me a pm only got a 2 foot tank but i can try and help

thanks

darrell

your not going to get much in a 2ft tank m8 and before considering anything you need to have the tank with just liverock in for about 8 weeks to let it cycle then you can start adding small things like snails and crabs.

i hope you have done alot of reading and research before you go for the marine tank as there is alot more information you need to learn + plan your stock wisely as 1 wrong fish/invert can destroy a tank and your livestock.

thanks

darrell

Hi Daznat

Follow the advice of what others have said and try keeping some simple tropical fish before moving to marines, as these setups require a lot of time and knowledge to begin with.

I recently bought a tank from a friend and didnt realise when she sold it to me it included a full marine setup including protein skimmer, refractometer, clown fish ocean sand and rock etc. Infact some of you may have seen some marine fish advertised cheap on aquarist classifieds, that was me!! i just wanted to get rid. Those redfire shrimps freak me out!! if anyone is intersted in purchasing a protein skimmer and refractometer drop me a pm.

daznat the best of british luck to you not many fish will fit into a 2ft tank ive been keeping fish now for 30 years all ways had big tanks as the amount of fish i keep from malawis to guppys but never marine to much messing about if i was you bud stick to tropicals and do some reading up on em

i have been doin research for a bout 2 years i am only getting use to haveing marine fish in a 2 foot on then going to get a 4ft plus its just to get use to have them if you know what i mean

i have been doin research for a bout 2 years i am only getting use to haveing marine fish in a 2 foot on then going to get a 4ft plus its just to get use to have them if you know what i mean

if i was you m8 i would go straight for a 4ft and not being funny but if you had been researching for 2 years you would know that bigger is always better with marine as water parameters are alot easier to keep stable in a larger tank, which also means you are giving your corals and fish a better chance of survival. marine fish keeping is not hard as long as you do it right in the 1st place and take your time because you have to let things adjust slowly.

i wish you luck m8 and hope it all goes smoothly for you but my best bit of advice and knowledge is start big as you will only want to upgrade so you might aswell get the biggest tank you can because it become's alot of hassle when your switching tanks over.