Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

Metal theft across Sheffield has fallen dramatically over the past five years

Which coincidentally is when the 2013 Scrap Metal Dealers Act which tightened up regulation of the industry.

Also you would have to be a really, really stupid scrap dealer to take a load of bright yellow bikes which are not only easily recognisable by the police but also by most honest citizens who visit their local scrappy's. And as not one OFO bike is privately owned, the dealer could not use as a defence that they had been shown evidence that the person they bought them from were lawfully allowed to do that.

Which coincidentally is when the 2013 Scrap Metal Dealers Act which tightened up regulation of the industry.

Also you would have to be a really, really stupid scrap dealer to take a load of bright yellow bikes which are not only easily recognisable by the police but also by most honest citizens who visit their local scrappy's. And as not one OFO bike is privately owned, the dealer could not use as a defence that they had been shown evidence that the person they bought them from were lawfully allowed to do that.

I'm not sure I believe the 'flatbed trucks picking up loads of bikes' angle myself. As you say, it seems fairly implausible that many scrap dealers would want such evidence.

I wonder if there is a lot more to the OFO story than us mere mortals are aware of, behind the scenes.....

cycling back from the AMRC last night I saw two "modified" OFOs still in use around Price of Wales road

I'm not sure I believe the 'flatbed trucks picking up loads of bikes' angle myself. As you say, it seems fairly implausible that many scrap dealers would want such evidence.

I wonder if there is a lot more to the OFO story than us mere mortals are aware of, behind the scenes.....

They are pulling out of many cities all over the world... Presumably to consolidate in locations where they're making profit (or more profit).

Anyone want a few bikes? The Chinese have a few spare.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/03/bike-share-oversupply-in-china-huge-piles-of-abandoned-and-broken-bicycles/556268/

I guess all those "Look at me, I'm so green, I'm saving the planet", lycra-clad bike divvys aren't going to be saving the planet after all. Oh dear, what a shame, never mind.

Looks like Sheffield got off lightly.

Edited by Weredoomed

the BBC did a video report of this a while back. its shocking the amount of sheer waste that went into the creation of these bikes.

Anyone want a few bikes? The Chinese have a few spare.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/03/bike-share-oversupply-in-china-huge-piles-of-abandoned-and-broken-bicycles/556268/

I guess all those "Look at me, I'm so green, I'm saving the planet", lycra-clad bike divvys aren't going to be saving the planet after all. Oh dear, what a shame, never mind.

Looks like Sheffield got off lightly.

I don't think many OFO riders bothered to wear lycra, I think you've managed to miss the mark entirely with your childish jibes.

Maybe come back when you've grown up.

Saw one being ridden in Denaby Main today, without it's locking mechanism.

Apologies if this has already been posted but Ofo is a bit of a shady company in regards of accepting that they have overstretched in their expansion and blaming vandalism for the withdraw of schemes.

The below is a good read to anyone interested

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/ofo-bike-share-leaving-sheffield-norwich-leeds