1970s bands worth a revisit

charliewag..

Mentioning ENO you have just reminded me of another great 1970s band, Roxy Music.

Well, just a shout out to 2 of my favourite 70's, bands Eagles, still at it, and Bachman Turner Overdrive(Canadians).

Well, just a shout out to 2 of my favourite 70's, bands Eagles, still at it, and Bachman Turner Overdrive(Canadians).

top band the guess who turned into bto.

---------- Post added 24-05-2018 at 19:56 ----------

The majority of my music collection is 70's rock so I revisit that era most days. This week i've listened to ELP, Mott The Hoople and Sparks. I'm taking some Hawkwind and Eno to play at work this afternoon.

do you work in a record shop or something?

add some Wharfedale speakers and a laney amp for an all Yorkshire system.

Already got Some Wharfedales but one problem has just materialised that I had never though about.. I now need a RIAA phono amp, so have just set about designing a PCB for one..:)

How about revisiting Supertramp as well.

Burton Cummings the lead singer of Guess Who never joined BTO,he became a solo artist with quite a bit of success, but mainly in Canada, meanwhile BTO had success worldwide. Bit of a titbit the Guess Who outsold the Beatles in North America in 1967, and I had never heard of them until I came to Canada in 1981. Great band.

charliewag..

Mentioning ENO you have just reminded me of another great 1970s band, Roxy Music.

I was a big Roxy fan for the first five albums then their sound changed for the worst.

---------- Post added 25-05-2018 at 10:42 ----------

No, I have a stereo system at work and when we're on 2-10 and the management have left, my work partner and me play records and cds rather than the radio. Fortunately we have similar tastes in music.

Already got Some Wharfedales but one problem has just materialised that I had never though about.. I now need a RIAA phono amp, so have just set about designing a PCB for one..:)

How about revisiting Supertramp as well.

Just bought one for stage use it is made by Behringer and fitted with trs 1/4 inch connectors to go straight in to my mixer at line level or output via std phono for a home amp. Sounds great very low distortion .Years ago I built one using parts from Maplin's ,sadly shut now, but you can still get kits from eBay, I built one that ran on batteries for good mains insulation.

---------- Post added 25-05-2018 at 15:10 ----------

Burton Cummings the lead singer of Guess Who never joined BTO,he became a solo artist with quite a bit of success, but mainly in Canada, meanwhile BTO had success worldwide. Bit of a titbit the Guess Who outsold the Beatles in North America in 1967, and I had never heard of them until I came to Canada in 1981. Great band.

Another good Canadian band but from the late sixties is "McKenna Mendelson Mainline " they had a double a side single out in 1969 and the classic album "Stink" out the same, year first heard them at the "heartbeat" club at the silver blades in 69 been a blues fan ever since.

Just bought one for stage use it is made by Behringer and fitted with trs 1/4 inch connectors to go straight in to my mixer at line level or output via std phono for a home amp. Sounds great very low distortion .Years ago I built one using parts from Maplin's ,sadly shut now, but you can still get kits from eBay, I built one that ran on batteries for good mains insulation.

---------- Post added 25-05-2018 at 15:10 ----------

Another good Canadian band but from the late sixties is "McKenna Mendelson Mainline " they had a double a side single out in 1969 and the classic album "Stink" out the same, year first heard them at the "heartbeat" club at the silver blades in 69 been a blues fan ever since.

Slightly off topic but you seem to be a blues fan. What do you think of Jonny Lang? One of my very favourite blues albums is 'Lie To Me', made by Jonny over 20 years ago when he was just 16 years old. Excellent vocals and guitar work from someone so young.

Slightly off topic but you seem to be a blues fan. What do you think of Jonny Lang? One of my very favourite blues albums is 'Lie To Me', made by Jonny over 20 years ago when he was just 16 years old. Excellent vocals and guitar work from someone so young.

not heard that album will try to get hold of a copy

Just got hold of a copy and had a good listen, jonny is a competent player but its the sort of material that I've heard dozens of times before, nothing that stands out as special, on a par with many fine players doing the pubs in Sheffield, such as Steve French and his band.

Edited by choogling

Chicago's first album "Chicago transit authority"

"Long before their days as a huge power ballad band, Chicago managed to fuse pop, rock and jazz together perfectly. Led by the powerful pipes of Peter Cetera, the masterful guitar work of Terry Kath, the fantastic keyboard work and vocals of Robert Lamm and one hell of a brass section, the band managed to hit huge success. While they weren't doing anything that new - Blood, Sweat & Tears and The Ides of March were doing the same thing around that time as well - they were, in my opinion, the best of the bunch. However, as the '80s rolled around, the band found themselves moving towards a much lighter and much more commercial and less jazz-oriented sound and saw Bill Champlin's entrance into the band. Not too long after that, Cetera departed for a solo career and was replaced by his clone, Jason Scheff. The band had their moments here and there but, for the most part, became your typical '80s pop/rock outfit, losing touch with their original sound and having one of the biggest downfalls in music history. That being said, their '70s material is still worth seeking out, especially if you want to know if they are more than "You're the Inspiration" and "Hard to Say I'm Sorry"."

still got and play my copy ,younger rock fans may be surprised how fresh it still sounds today.

Great suggestion! Haven't heard that for a while - listening now. So good.

On a slightlier funkier tip, there's Funkadelic's One Nation Under a Groove or their Maggot Brain.

Oooh, any Gil Scott Heron fans? The man's a genius.

Another great band, sadly now split up, were Pink Floyd formed in the sixties but really came alive in the seventies with the wall album and later a film.

Another great band, sadly now split up, were Pink Floyd formed in the sixties but really came alive in the seventies with the wall album and later a film.

What about what Jeff Lynne has done with ELO,they were massive in the 70s and sound even better today even though Jeff is now the only original member now Richard ? the piano guy seems to have left. I know they have always been a pure pop and top thirty type band, but folks are still turning out to see them. They were at Wembley recently. Jeff Lynne is an extremely talented singer. songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and producer, and apparently an exceptionally nice chap.