Is a landline needed?

VirginMedia meets both of your conditions, but you should know that their charges are higher than most other broadband providers.

How? There's still a physical line to the house.

There's no official 'landline' charge but that's why they're most expensive.

How? There's still a physical line to the house.

There's no official 'landline' charge but that's why they're most expensive.

You don't need a telephone socket or telephone line to use Virgin's Internet. You do need to be in a Virgin enabled area though. The only 'physical line' is the fibre cable buried under the street going to your house.

Truman - did they not offer to send an engineer out? They usually say there will be a charge if the fault is found to be with the customer but in your case you have eliminated this by the testing that you have done.

If you want to change company, have a look at Plusnet.

Truman - did they not offer to send an engineer out? They usually say there will be a charge if the fault is found to be with the customer but in your case you have eliminated this by the testing that you have done.

If you want to change company, have a look at Plusnet.

Sorry,I think you're a bit confused..I'm not the OP :)

St Tropeze-

Just get a decent Data plan on a mobile plan.

I`ve calculated that a desktop pc for example burns about 100mb per hr. (1gb per 10hrs)

Just load a web page then turn hot spot off-only uses a munute of data. :thumbsup:

You only need data on when changing pages etc.

St Tropeze-

Just get a decent Data plan on a mobile plan.

I`ve calculated that a desktop pc for example burns about 100mb per hr. (1gb per 10hrs)

Just load a web page then turn hot spot off-only uses a munute of data. :thumbsup:

You only need data on when changing pages etc.

It's an option.

I just got back from Edinburgh and used my mobile for my Surface Pro and my Daughters Mac book Pro. 3 days of loading maps and things to do pages, used under a GB of data. It was also much faster than Premier Inns free WiFi. I'm on 3's £20.99 tariff with 30 GB of data, unlimited talk and text.

It's not an option for me at home though. It doubt it would last a day!

You don't need a telephone socket or telephone line to use Virgin's Internet. You do need to be in a Virgin enabled area though. The only 'physical line' is the fibre cable buried under the street going to your house.

It isn't a Fibre Cable going to the house. It is a copper Coaxial cable with Virgin.

If you have landline with them there is also a separate multicore cable of twisted pairs which can provide several telephone sockets. The Coaxial cable can also provide the TV service if you opt for it.

Edited by muddycoffee