Demolition of old factory in Meersbrook

Originally posted by Anne23

Shame.. I hate bits of sheffield history being erased for some dull flat complex. Makes me really angry so I try not to think about it too much.

:rant:

Agreed, but such is progress. You won't want to look at this photo I took of the Nag's Head, Shalesmoor, then. :cry:

I've been trying to decide that myself (having searched the same site previously)

I came to the conclusion that this is the complex just further down the road though - directly on Chesterfield road (the one that includes the likes of Everest, Frameworks etc.) There's no longer a chimney on that site, but the orientation of it seems a closer match - still not 100% certain though.

If anyone does have any old photos of the Valley road chimney let me know - and thanks for the posts on this.

I've uploaded a (very) recent shot of the soon-to-be-demolished chimney here:

http://www.meersbrook.co.uk/valley_road_chimney.html

(more to follow soon)

John.

Thanks for those photos 'meersbrook'.

It is a shame that it is probably all too late now.

How can we continue to employ Planning Officers who produce one-sided reports like this:

The loss of the chimney ....... will, in visual terms, be an improvement to the area, because they are in poor condition, which currently has a detrimental impact on the area.

If they are "in poor condition" what is wrong with asking the developer to renovate the chimney as a feature???

This implication of it having a "detrimental impact" could easily have been confirmed or refuted with a door-to-door survey.

You will also notice the typical way in which they cover themselves by not referring to the chimney alone!

Originally posted by cgksheff

Thanks for those photos 'meersbrook'.

It is a shame that it is probably all too late now.

How can we continue to employ Planning Officers who produce one-sided reports like this:

The loss of the chimney ....... will, in visual terms, be an improvement to the area, because they are in poor condition, which currently has a detrimental impact on the area.

If they are "in poor condition" what is wrong with asking the developer to renovate the chimney as a feature???

This implication of it having a "detrimental impact" could easily have been confirmed or refuted with a door-to-door survey.

You will also notice the typical way in which they cover themselves by not referring to the chimney alone!

As far as I can see, the chimney looks solid as a rock :( - they used to build things properly and to last etc..

Thanks for commenting on this thread. Although we have been kept informed of the whole process (we wrote to the council, for what it's worth..) that's the first I've seen / read of the report. If you could remind me of the route on the sheffield.gov site to read the whole thing (assuming this is possible?) - cheers again, John.

Originally posted by meersbrook

If you could remind me of the route on the sheffield.gov site to read the whole thing (assuming this is possible?)

There is a link and instructions in my first reply on this thread.

Originally posted by cgksheff

There is a link and instructions in my first reply on this thread.

Cheers for reminding me about that. Have downloaded the PDF - and better still have put some sound bites from the Council's "Decision" onto the photo page here:

http://www.meersbrook.co.uk/valley_road_chimney.html

Needless to say, 'twas I who'd raised the original comment to them re: "But what about the chimney...?"

*sigh*

Sheffield ****y council in action once again. Striving to spend your money to make sheffield into one enormouse bland legoland characterless dump.

Originally posted by Tim42

Sheffield ****y council in action once again. Striving to spend your money to make sheffield into one enormouse bland legoland characterless dump.

On the evidence of the "disappointing" new office block at the Peace Gardens, I'd snatch their hands off for something done in Lego!! (the office block is "Duplo" at best...)

:(

Originally posted by meersbrook

They've been burning stuff on-site for the majority of the past 2 weeks (maybe longer)

I've been following this site development *very* closely as we ajoin it.

do you live at n° 20 or 18 or something ?

does anyone know what the name was of this factory and what they used to make ?? i wonder if i have worked there in the past .

Originally posted by tinker

does anyone know what the name was of this factory and what they used to make ?? i wonder if i have worked there in the past .

Hoyland, umbrellas.