Upperthorpe School

ci

I went to upperthorpe and some of the lads I remember were Robert Jubb Jimmy ridge

William rystogi Raymond damms tony Costello Arthur heliwell

And a few girls. Avis trigg barbara rastrick I think my memory is shot

AND MY NAME WAS MICK COOPER AND I LIVED ON DANIEL HILL STREET

Some good old Walkley families there Mick.

LindaL there is a photo of a class (all girls) from Upperthorpe School it says 1958 in the Star Saturday 19th Feb. I have looked and I cannot recall anyone I think it could be a year below me or maybe two.

Hi I went to upperthorpe primary school till November 1960, we moved away due to my dad’s job. I can remember Mrs. Too good and was there a Miss Midgley. I was with Keith mcsloy and Helen Herridge I left when I was 11 years old. I lived at 1 Brandreth Road near Blake street.

Hi everyone, I attended the school from about 1957 - 1962 or later.  We lived on Upperthorpe road I think number 46 and would walk to school. Remember sliding down a banister from school when it was icy. Best friend, Stephen lived further down on the same road.  There was a schoolmate called Emmanuel who had recently arrived form a Caribbean  country probably Jamaica. There was an old WWI veteran remembered as Mr Night who used to tell us stories about the trenches and how his officers would order them to cross into the German lines to get better water to make tea.  I must say I do not have fond memories of the school as I found the teachers and the headmistress, Miss Midgley scarecrows. Learned to swim at the Upperthorpe baths and there was a cooperage in the property we lived in. Grey days. I used to look forward to getting out of Sheffield and on the moors enjoying the freedom and nature, streams etc. I could smell when getting close to Sheffield on the way back. It smelled of coal burning and burned oil. The walls were black and the soot would come off on your hands when brushed against. I remember drunks going home with their backs against the walls so that they would not fall over. Grey, grey very grey.  Stephen would come to the house or I'd go over to his and the standard phrase was " are you playing". Kids were free to roam  but that was one of the few memories retained with fondness. 

Anyone out there rememberers these days and details?

Hi. my Father went to Upperthorpe school from 1944. He recalls a lot of the names mentioned within this thread and has very fond memories of the time.

He remembers well getting the cane off Mr Cawsley!

He lived at 13 Kelvin Street and his name is John (Jack) Sadler. He had two elder Sisters - Doreen and Beatrice. If there is anyone out there who remembers my Father I would appreciate it if you send a reply.

Many Thanks.