S c c to introduce red line routes

As far as I understand it, red routes in other cities are often enforced by camera, rather than relying on a person to be present to witness a breaking of the law.

As red routes are being implemented here, I wonder if that means that there's a legal difference in how routes may be monitored and enforced, between yellow zigzags and red routes?

Someone operating a camera and viewing footage from several routes from a remote location would be much harder to ignore or avoid, and it wouldn't take long for people to understand that the red routes actually do mean that you can't stop except when in a queue of traffic.

From a parent's perspective this seems a bit draconian and short sighted. Depending on what radius around the school are going to be restricted.

I would love to be able to avoid having to drop off my kids at school by car, I really would. At the moment walking/cycling are not feasible due to safety issues. There is no suitable bus service. Dropping them off by car is the only option available to me.

All the available spaces in the vicinity of their schools are already full most mornings. Usually I manage to find somewhere, but I admit that *occasionally* I do stop on a double yellow for ~90 seconds (not right outside school and hopefully without causing anyone inconvenience). But only because I really can see no other solution.

I'm all for enforcing the existing restrictions in the immediate vicinity of the school, but a bit of consideration for those who have no other option would be good.

There's a specific problem caused by parents for about two hours of the day, but you'd not be interested in the views of residents who will be affected 24hrs a day and most likely don't park like idiots anyway...

Where's the like button? Go get 'em Cyclone :-)

As far as I understand it, red routes in other cities are often enforced by camera, rather than relying on a person to be present to witness a breaking of the law.

As red routes are being implemented here, I wonder if that means that there's a legal difference in how routes may be monitored and enforced, between yellow zigzags and red routes?

Someone operating a camera and viewing footage from several routes from a remote location would be much harder to ignore or avoid, and it wouldn't take long for people to understand that the red routes actually do mean that you can't stop except when in a queue of traffic.

So there'll be several people employed to monitor the various zones.

I get a distinct feeling many more red routes will be put out across the city, because those camera people are going to need something to do outside of school rush hours. :suspect::suspect::suspect::suspect::suspect:

Guest makapaka
There's a specific problem caused by parents for about two hours of the day, but you'd not be interested in the views of residents who will be affected 24hrs a day and most likely don't park like idiots anyway...

Well unless they’re going to put the lines in places that are safe to park in there is nothing to worry about.

Sheffield council are to start introducing red line routes in an attempt to stop selfish parents parking right outside schools starting with totley .will drivers take any notice or not ?

If bus lane enforcement along Ecclesall Road and Abbeydale Road is anything to go by, then no.

News story on it here:

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/red_route_unveiled/

Like Geared said, it won't make a blind bit of difference if there's nobody there to police it and fine the motorists.

Just like the 20mph speed limits on side roads, unless people have seen the police actually using speed cameras on the side roads, I haven't seen any.

From a parent's perspective this seems a bit draconian and short sighted. Depending on what radius around the school are going to be restricted.

I would love to be able to avoid having to drop off my kids at school by car, I really would. At the moment walking/cycling are not feasible due to safety issues. There is no suitable bus service. Dropping them off by car is the only option available to me.

All the available spaces in the vicinity of their schools are already full most mornings. Usually I manage to find somewhere, but I admit that *occasionally* I do stop on a double yellow for ~90 seconds (not right outside school and hopefully without causing anyone inconvenience). But only because I really can see no other solution.

I'm all for enforcing the existing restrictions in the immediate vicinity of the school, but a bit of consideration for those who have no other option would be good.

Serious question : what would you do if you didn't have a car?

General translation - all these rules and alternatives are fine for other people but I am a special case who absolutely needs to drive and park as close to school as possible.

Serious question : what would you do if you didn't have a car?

I'd walk or bus them both to their schools but would probably have to put one of them in a breakfast club as it would be physically impossible to get them both to school at the appropriate time.

---------- Post added 12-07-2018 at 17:00 ----------

General translation - all these rules and alternatives are fine for other people but I am a special case who absolutely needs to drive and park as close to school as possible.

As I said, I would genuinely love to have another alternative. Bottom line is that I want my kids to get to school safely and on time, and dropping them off by car is the only way I can do that.

Possibly - but if it makes it safer that's a good thing isn't it.

Why should local residents have to suffer ?

When I was a kid we walked to school.