How do i rent a council property?

Hi!

I want to rent a property from the council or housing associations.

Please can someone kindly send me a link to a website that I can bid on properties etc. please?

Kind regards

Thanks.

as the previous reply suggests, you have to register your interest in council properties and meet certain criteria to "qualify".

https://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/

unless you have conditions which give you some priority, you could be in for a long wait to actually acquire a tenancy.

good luck

the days when "ordinary" people can get social housing are gone.

As mentioned, you have to register. Applicants are graded on need and prioritised. Living in substandard rented housing, for instance, can get you a grade sufficient to get a log-on. From there you can start bidding.

While this might seem to be an impossible task, it can work, especially if you don't need a property that's adapted for special needs, or you're flexible on area.

If properties go un-let they are offered to bidders with lower priorities. So with some patience, it's possible to be offered properties you've bid on even if you are graded with a low priority.

New stock arrives weekly, so the trick is A) Register, B) keep searching, and C) place bids, even if the task seems impossible at first.

One downside is that once housed, you're unlikely to be offered anything else if you take up a tenancy and decide you don't like it after a while.

If you are offered a property there are varying regulations up and down the country about how long you have to accept it, and removal from the register if you do or don't accept.

Edited by Tina-w

Tina has taken time to add a bit of depth in her answer for clarity and she has made some good points for you to ponder over. if you do "..take up a tenancy and decide you don't like it after a while.." There used to be an option of "a mutual exchange" whereby council tenants can propose to swap their homes for homes in other areas of the city but i'm not sure of the technicalities on that option.. anyway all is not lost if you feel forced to take a home and then don't get on with the neighbours or bus routes or schools etc. We wish you well in your search... get your foot on the ladder :)

the days when "ordinary" people can get social housing are gone.

what an idiotic comment, no they're not currently 16 properties on a first come first served this week

what an idiotic comment, no they're not currently 16 properties on a first come first served this week

what are you on about

what are you on about

He means there are currently 16 properties advertised by the council that anyone can request, no priority, no waiting time needed. That's as well as however many also currently advertised for people either with an amount of waiting time, or with priority.

He means there are currently 16 properties advertised by the council that anyone can request, no priority, no waiting time needed. That's as well as however many also currently advertised for people either with an amount of waiting time, or with priority.

Ok i will answer

you mean ther are 16 properties on the massive housing register that nobody wants, they are that bad they are on a first come first served basis?

Narden Dee please reply

Ok i will answer

you mean ther are 16 properties on the massive housing register that nobody wants, they are that bad they are on a first come first served basis?

Narden Dee please reply

define "ordinary people"

Having had many dealings with the housing department, the rehousing system works thusly:

Properties are advertised using a banding system.

The majority of properties will be advertised to the priority bands - A, B, C. The rest of the properties will be advertised to people who have accrued waiting time and who are not in priority need. So...

If you do not have priority and bid on a priority property, you will not be considered until the list of priority applicants who have bid has been exhausted i.e. they have refused the offer. If it's advertised to waiting time, it will simply go to the person who has been on the list the longest.

Then you have Band E which is the lowest band for those who have arrears or who have committed a low level of ASB.

There are also properties let to First Come First Served. These are properties which have been advertised but which no one wanted.

There are a few other criteria which apply, but the above is it in a nutshell.

The first thing you must do is register. Go to the Sheffield Property Shop website and complete the online form. You will also need to provide ID for your application to be processed.

Of course... you could always phone and ask to speak to someone in rehousing who will be able to answer any questions and fully explain how it all works. Or, call in to your local housing office. But that probably seems a bit too easy compared just asking on a public forum...