1970s bands worth a revisit

25 or 6 to 4. Think it was around 1964 I first heard CTA at the Youth Club.

The band was formed in 1967, but I get the time thing, I often think of things from the past and can be upwards of 10 years out as to when they happened:D

Another great band who started in the late sixties but were better known in the seventies was the fantastic Emerson,Lake and Palmer aka ELP.their self titled album has pride of place in my record collection, released in late 69 it features some amazing tracks from the giant sound of "the barbarian" to the gentle "just take a pebble" with a poppy "lucky man" thrown in for good measure, my original copy still plays like new but with a bit of surface noise now showing on some of the tracks. Got to be in my own top twenty favorite list of classic albums.

---------- Post added 17-05-2018 at 21:21 ----------

The band was formed in 1967, but I get the time thing, I often think of things from the past and can be upwards of 10 years out as to when they happened:D

Things that happened in the seventies are very clear in my memory ,but what I had for dinner yesterday is gone .

25 or 6 to 4. Think it was around 1964 I first heard CTA at the Youth Club.
Yup I have that on my record...

THE REMAKE OF THAT SONG IN 1986 IS A PIECE OF GARBAGE!!

The 70's music (well early to mid 70's - before punk) that I listen to most these days is "singer songwriters" / solo artists - interpreted pretty loosely to include the likes of Bowie and Eno.

Others include Van Morrison (up to Veedon Fleece), Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Joan Armatrading, Kevin Ayers, Leonard Cohen, Warren Zevon, John Martyn. Oh - and Rod Stewart's first 3 solo albums.

Only bands from the era I've listened to more than one in the last year probably Grateful Dead (Workingman's Dead & American Beauty), Little Feat, Yes (Yes Album) and King Crimson (1st two albums), & The Doors.

---------- Post added 18-05-2018 at 18:29 ----------

Another great band who started in the late sixties but were better known in the seventies was the fantastic Emerson,Lake and Palmer aka ELP.their self titled album has pride of place in my record collection, released in late 69 it features some amazing tracks from the giant sound of "the barbarian" to the gentle "just take a pebble" with a poppy "lucky man" thrown in for good measure, my original copy still plays like new but with a bit of surface noise now showing on some of the tracks. Got to be in my own top twenty favorite list of classic albums.

---------- Post added 17-05-2018 at 21:21 ----------

Things that happened in the seventies are very clear in my memory ,but what I had for dinner yesterday is gone .

Pretty sure ELP formed in 1970 and one of their first gigs was the Isle of Wight festival and the debut LP was released later on in the year.

Saw them at the City Hall - they performed "Pictures at an Exhibition" for the first half of the gig, followed by their debut album and Rondo for the 2nd half and Nutrocker for the encore.

A band that showed great promise but sadly faded away were Dutch band Golden Earing, they had a hit in 1973 with the great rock song Radar Love and then nothing.

Golden Earring had been in existence for a decade before 'Radar Love', and are still successfully active with two of the founder members.

Big Star are the 70's band that seem to influence most of the music that I've always listened to.

Big Star are the 70's band that seem to influence most of the music that I've always listened to.

I'll give them a listen - amazed I've never heard about them until now - can't even remember them getting a mention by any of the Melody Maker columnists who used to always name drop the Velvet Underground and the like.

Golden Earring had been in existence for a decade before 'Radar Love', and are still successfully active with two of the founder members.

that's ok but I've never heard of them since the radar love days.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 19:01 ----------

never heard of them but going to give them a listen on amazon prime

Genesis but only up to the 'Duke' album.

I've only got "and then there were three" never really into their style of music at the time.

I've only got "and then there were three" never really into their style of music at the time.

Got a collection from 'Nursery Cryme' but gave up on them at 'Abacab', when they basically turned to creating singles more aimed for the US market & that would make good videos for MTV.

Must dig some of those early albums out. Must be 25 years since I played some of them.