How much does a headstone (gravestone) cost?

It might not be the first thing that comes to mind but perhaps try eBay where the prices aren't so frightening. Unless you can tell one stone mason from another (and are willing to pay) maybe this will help.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEADSTONE-MEMORIAL-HEART---BLACK-memorials-&-headstones_W0QQitemZ330392848718QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100107?IMSfp=TL100107219002r3840

I would STRONGLY advise against sandstone it doesn't look good for long same as white marble it doesn't age well

visit a graveyard and look at some headstones you like and also how worn they are/what the lettering is like. If you go cheap on it then after 12 months of british weather it will look awful. Take a picture of ones you like then take them to a stonemasons.

We had our grandmother cremated and had a little plaque erected on the site - cost around £190 for 5 years I think. Includes the stone. This was at grenoside crematorium.

Thank you this is to put on an existing plot which never had a stone just a cross

Ozzie

try John Fairest funeral and masonry on abbey lane. they are next to Hutcliffe Wood crematorium. main entrance . other funeral homes always recommended them as there work is excellent. . tel 0114 2745244.

Try Kays on city road opposite the cemetary.I got one in sandstone with approx 100letters

for about £350 18mths ago .And i got a small plaque type one (looks like an open book) in black marble with approx 50 letters for £220 last year. They are worth a phone call. Make sure you shop around.

Watch out for K's Memorials looks like they're not exactly trustworthy:

Second Hand Gravestone Scandal

Shameful. :mad:

Edited by Zaytsev

As has been said watch out for extra costs, such as getting persmission to have he stone you want, some graveyards are really strict on what they allow and dont. The graveyard where we buried my dad does not allow the stone to be polished. Also costs for having it placed etc. My dads is a beautiful one, like an open book, it cost about £1100 all in. I hope you find what you are looking for

My Grandma bought a simple black pottery urn which said (In Memory). It had holes in to arrange flowers in. It is just sat on the gravel. This was in 1936 and it is still there. I have the original bill for it with a drawing of the urn on the bill. I find this amazing.

Iam not too sure about this subject but dose anyone know anywhere in Sheffield that dose cheap headstone's and how much i could be paying?

Cheers Ozzie

It cost you your life to have one on you :D

It took a total of 8 months for my mate's headstone to be approved, made and errected in Bamford church cemetery. I don't know what general cemeteries are like, but be advised to get full approval before ordering.