The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Uh-oh, the EU is about call out the UK over its unending flip-flopping.

Michel Barnier is prepared to ‘stall’ Brexit talks over UK bill.

The EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, is prepared to “stall” Brexit talks over the British government’s unwillingness to present proposals for calculating the U.K.’s financial obligations, according to two EU diplomats.

On Monday, the first day of full-scale Brexit negotiations, EU officials voiced mounting frustration over the U.K.’s apparent lack of preparedness for serious negotiations.

<...>

According to the diplomats, the message Barnier planned to deliver, while not quite an ultimatum, was intended to convey his view that negotiations were futile without better engagement by the British side.

He's not wrong: it's high time for the UK to sht or get off the pot drop the rethorical act and get on with negotiating, tbh.

And it's the worst possible news for the UK, because Barnier stalling does not pause or stop the Article 50 clock. Tic-toc-tic-toc-tic-toc....

Uh-oh, the EU is about call out the UK over its unending flip-flopping.

Michel Barnier is prepared to ‘stall’ Brexit talks over UK bill.He's not wrong: it's high time for the UK to sht or get off the pot drop the rethorical act and get on with negotiating, tbh.

And it's the worst possible news for the UK, because Barnier stalling does not pause or stop the Article 50 clock. Tic-toc-tic-toc-tic-toc....

I wonder how long it takes for this to be spun as the EU refusing to negotiate and thus we have to consider just walking away from the EU with no deal.

I wonder how long it takes for this to be spun as the EU refusing to negotiate and thus we have to consider just walking away from the EU with no deal.
Well, if you're talking about the Daily Express or the Daily Mail, I'd give it a day, tops: watch tomorrow's headlines :hihi:

If Putin had devised a plan to divide the EU that would be it.

But we know you're just making stuff up now.....

Putin doesn't have to devise a plan. He can sit back and watch whilst the Europeans trip over themselves and undermine their own peace and security.

If you find an Englishman's argument difficult to stomach perhaps you'll give more consideration to this [German newspaper]?

Brexit was supposed to be the forgotten and voiceless making themselves heard and wanting an end to globalisation and a better life for themselves as a result

That plight is not forgotten. In fact it's influencing our trade negotiations. China, America, and India are all very keen on our regions which is a godsend from the govt's prospective because ties in beautifully with the wider economic agenda of rebalancing the economy.

Putin doesn't have to devise a plan. He can sit back and watch whilst the Europeans trip over themselves and undermine their own peace and security.

If you find an Englishman's argument difficult to stomach perhaps you'll give more consideration to this [German newspaper]?

That plight is not forgotten. In fact it's influencing our trade negotiations. China, America, and India are all very keen on our regions which is a godsend from the govt's prospective because ties in beautifully with the wider economic agenda of rebalancing the economy.

Ah,that's wonderful news,so when Trump keeps bellowing 'America first',he's just forgetting to tell his citizens that he has to regenerate Blackpool before that.

public sector employees have to pay the rent/mortgage, buy food and all the thing private sector employees do. if they can't afford to do this then they will leave which means the public sector collapses which means no hospitals, no schools, no bin collections, no police, no fire service. Moving these into the private sector wont change things because unless they offered a decent wage they couldn't recruit and that means they wont make much profit. Charities wont help either, since they would still need to pay people to do the work and while there are some very good examples of charities working in the public sector there are some very bad ones too.

if your claim to be a natural labour voter is true then you would understand this and there are some core services which should be owned and operated by the state with proper staffing and decently paid staff.

Nice bit of selection from my post. I was replying to someone else and agreeing with them that all pay increases lead to inflation and saying that in my opinion the way to deal with low pay is through the tax system, and that's what the forum is about opinion.

You say public sector employees will leave, I don't think so, where will they go to get the same terms and conditions, pensions etc? Perhaps a few but certainly not many, I worked in the public sector for a while, the first job I'd ever had with sick pay and couldn't believe how many were taking advantage of it and always moaning and saying they were going to leave, even when the chance of enhanced redundancy came up only a few applied for it.

As I've said on the public sector pay thread whenever it's suggested that public sector contracts are put out to private tender the employees and unions are always up in arms because they know pay and conditions will be worse.

I know plenty in the private sector doing physically demanding jobs who would have jumped at the chance of working in the public sector and getting early retirement.

By the way, I've quoted all your post and not just been selective.

So you are linking to a German Newspaper quoting what Daniel Hannan is writing in his book?:hihi:

You just get better and better,pure comedy gold.:hihi:

Anyway, as we proceed on our way to hell in a handcart we may as well make the best of it and have a bit of a laugh.

http://disq.us/url?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.progressivepulse.org%2Fbrexit%2Fspoof-song-on-the-tory-dup-deal%2F%3Aiz-Fx4UedPu-PGI639fIc5-Dqik&cuid=3093723

That is the Irish verdict on the Conservative and DUP pact.

Rendered musically it hits the nail on the head in an amusing fashion.

There's a very good 'taking stock' article in this week's Economist, matter-of-factly and non-partisan. Linked in here for useful future reference.

Plans being moved along fast:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/18/city-brexit-plans-transitional-deal-fca-citi-bank-frankfurt

Irreversible and substantial changes will be implemented within 12 months. We have a lot of clients going to Paris and Dublin.

We are already planning our response:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/19/uk-threatens-to-return-radioactive-waste-to-eu-without-nuclear-deal