Nasty crash on Penistone Rd 21/05/2018

Looks like a Volvo and a Porsche involved in a high speed crash on Penistone Road outside the filling Station near the end of Rutland Rd. Road closed off and Collision Investigation Team in attendance which suggests it's not good.

Expect delays :-(

Unusual for a 30mph road. Oh I forgot, nobody sticks to 30 on that stretch

Unusual for a 30mph road. Oh I forgot, nobody sticks to 30 on that stretch

Nor should they. Its a stupid speed limit for such a primary route into a major city and on a purpose built dual carriageway.

Anyway, irrelevant to my opinion above I suspect the speed limit was the least of the considerations involved in the accident. I highly suspect the real cause will be the same as happened at Tinsley the other day.

Reckless behaviour caused by certain types of people hiring certain types of cars and showing off.

Nor should they. Its a stupid speed limit for such a primary route into a major city and on a purpose built dual carriageway.

Err...yes they should because that's the speed limit. Whether or not it's stupid is irrelevant.

Err...yes they should because that's the speed limit. Whether or not it's stupid is irrelevant.

30MPH speed limit on a duel carriageway isnt stupid , its downright moronic.

are you drumming up business by encouraging people to break the law?

it's not stupid at all, penistone road goes through areas which are heavily used by pedestrians with little or no separation between pedestrian and vehicle.

from what I saw of the crash, a more likely explanation is that someone ignored the red lights are the junction with albert terrace road.

Ive just been reading the comments on Sheffield Online (facebook) from the couple in the Passats family.

The man has been discharged but the woman will need at least one operation on her leg.

The guy in the Porsche went through a red light apparently, he has minor injuries.

Anyway, irrelevant to my opinion above I suspect the speed limit was the least of the considerations involved in the accident. I highly suspect the real cause will be the same as happened at Tinsley the other day.

Reckless behaviour caused by certain types of people hiring certain types of cars and showing off.

Indeed. 'Gentlemen' over-compensating for their 'inadequacies' in other 'areas'.

Ive just been reading the comments on Sheffield Online (facebook) from the couple in the Passats family.

The man has been discharged but the woman will need at least one operation on her leg.

The guy in the Porsche went through a red light apparently, he has minor injuries.

Isn't that just classic the guy who causes the wreck gets off the lightest? I have been hit twice by red light runners, both times the other person was injury free while I was banged up good and proper.

I can't imagine that the old porsche boxster or the volvo were hire cars.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 07:38 ----------

are you drumming up business by encouraging people to break the law?

it's not stupid at all, penistone road goes through areas which are heavily used by pedestrians with little or no separation between pedestrian and vehicle.

I disagree about the speed limit, but perhaps we should stay on topic.

from what I saw of the crash, a more likely explanation is that someone ignored the red lights are the junction with albert terrace road.

Yep, given the location it seems most likely that one of them has run the light, and at some speed as well. Both cars were a mess.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 07:40 ----------

Isn't that just classic the guy who causes the wreck gets off the lightest? I have been hit twice by red light runners, both times the other person was injury free while I was banged up good and proper.

It's probably due to the direction of impact, the one running the light hits travelling forwards, they have crumple zone, engine, airbags and a second of knowing it's happening.

The victim is hit unexpectedly in the side, protection zones are much smaller, the motion is at ninety degrees and unexpected, they might have a side airbag, but it's not as good, and the seat doesn't support them in the same way.

How fast is this car going? I'm doing 28-30mph past the Wednesday ground. Wide angle camera.

I can't imagine that the old porsche boxster or the volvo were hire cars.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 07:38 ----------

I disagree about the speed limit, but perhaps we should stay on topic.

Yep, given the location it seems most likely that one of them has run the light, and at some speed as well. Both cars were a mess.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 07:40 ----------

It's probably due to the direction of impact, the one running the light hits travelling forwards, they have crumple zone, engine, airbags and a second of knowing it's happening.

The victim is hit unexpectedly in the side, protection zones are much smaller, the motion is at ninety degrees and unexpected, they might have a side airbag, but it's not as good, and the seat doesn't support them in the same way.

Good explanation cyclone... I used to wonder, same as Mr T.:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 10:03 ----------

How fast is this car going? I'm doing 28-30mph past the Wednesday ground. Wide angle camera.

Anybody caught driving like that should receive a lengthy ban, sadly theres plenty of them, its as bad as carrying a loaded gun.