Sheffield gains most from overseas students.

Wow! I have purposely not read any of your posts for awhile due to your bitter recriminations.

It would seem you are still carrying a hatred for the majority of the voting members of the UK.

Pherhaps a little holiday from Social media in a secluded room may help.

My relative absence from SF since the run up to Christmas must have escaped you, then.

Perhaps putting me on your 'ignore' list may help: it will give you the impression that I'm on a permanent holiday, and save you from reading any of my posts :thumbsup:

Not surprising as all the doom and gloom merchants have nothing to moan about.;)
Don't tempt me :D

I jus wish someone would teach the Chinese students...

How to cross the road properly

The concept of queuing

How to shop in Tesco without blocking an aisle with your trolley

B-b-but Farage, Johnson and the rest of the crazy xenophobic Brexiteers don't want them here.:loopy:

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 13:57 ----------

Look who essentially voted for Brexit - the elderly and those without academic qualifications - a bitter cocktail of xenophobia and envy with mind-blowing stupidity thrown in for good measure.

Been a Brexiteer I supported UKip and Nigel throughout the whole of the campaign. Never did I hear from Nigel that He or UKip did not want foreign students in either Sheffield or the UK.

I assume that it can be verified that he did actualy say that Students were not welcome in the UK and Sheffield. Or is it just another Remoaner making up their own agenda.

Angel1.

Been a Brexiteer I supported UKip and Nigel throughout the whole of the campaign. Never did I hear from Nigel that He or UKip did not want foreign students in either Sheffield or the UK.

I assume that it can be verified that he did actualy say that Students were not welcome in the UK and Sheffield. Or is it just another Remoaner making up their own agenda.

Angel1.

Think so and hijacking a thread to make their point

I feel that it is those who voted remain who are scaring the students. In particular people like James O'Brien on LBC. He uses these people for his own ends. By scaring them, with fake stories about them not being welcome, it gives him a reason to go on a rant. I've yet to meet anyone who wants students to leave. I voted Brexit but would take students out of the immigration numbers and let them stay after their courses if the skills they have learnt are needed.

Angel1.

Well he was quoted before the campaign as saying that UKIPs immigration policy was to "accommodate sensible numbers of foreign students" which implies that he didn't think that the numbers coming were sensible.

Regardless of whether there's a direct quote or not it's a bit disingenous to pretend that his/UKIP/Tory (little difference between them) immigration policies as a whole are not interlinked with

the number of foreign students who would want to come here to study. The UK being seen to be less tolerant towards immigrants/foreigners over the past few years and the subsequent reduction in the number of foreign students coming here has gone hand in hand. They're not separate events.

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 22:25 ----------

I feel that it is those who voted remain who are scaring the students. In particular people like James O'Brien on LBC. He uses these people for his own ends. By scaring them, with fake stories about them not being welcome

Reported hate crimes against foreigners have increased by 29% since the EU Referendum. I'm sure that was all the fault of Remain voters too... :loopy:

Well he was quoted before the campaign as saying that UKIPs immigration policy was to "accommodate sensible numbers of foreign students" which implies that he didn't think that the numbers coming were sensible.

Regardless of whether there's a direct quote or not it's a bit disingenous to pretend that his/UKIP/Tory (little difference between them) immigration policies as a whole are not interlinked with

the number of foreign students who would want to come here to study. The UK being seen to be less tolerant towards immigrants/foreigners over the past few years and the subsequent reduction in the number of foreign students coming here has gone hand in hand. They're not separate events.

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 22:25 ----------

Reported hate crimes against foreigners have increased by 29% since the EU Referendum. I'm sure that was all the fault of Remain voters too... :loopy:

I don't believe that figure. Its politically motivated..

For your reading pleasure, and very topical: Sheffield's referendum results explain why Britain voted for Brexit (2016 article, "Sheffield graduate population vs wider region working class population") :)

Yep, seems about right,- ignorant stubborn fools blaming Europe for the decades of poverty inflicted by the British Government. Wonder what those areas are going to be like when funding and decision making rest only with the British Government.....

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 08:25 ----------

I jus wish someone would teach the Chinese students...

How to cross the road properly

The concept of queuing

How to shop in Tesco without blocking an aisle with your trolley

Oh yeah, because that's just the Chinese, its never ever British people ever at all:rolleyes:.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 08:30 ----------

I feel that it is those who voted remain who are scaring the students. In particular people like James O'Brien on LBC. He uses these people for his own ends. By scaring them, with fake stories about them not being welcome, it gives him a reason to go on a rant. I've yet to meet anyone who wants students to leave. I voted Brexit but would take students out of the immigration numbers and let them stay after their courses if the skills they have learnt are needed.

I feel it is 51.9% of the population who voted for Brexit and who, for the most part, when really pushed on the reasoning, end up admitting its because they think there are too many people who look and sound foreign, or refuse to admit that pretty much everything they thought they knew about the Eu is a pack of lies.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 08:33 ----------

I don't believe that figure. Its politically motivated..

Given the general denial of actual facts and wanton ignorance shown by brexit voters, I sincerely believe that you don't believe those figures.

Yep, seems about right,- ignorant stubborn fools blaming Europe for the decades of poverty inflicted by the British Government. Wonder what those areas are going to be like when funding and decision making rest only with the British Government.....

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 08:25 ----------

Oh yeah, because that's just the Chinese, its never ever British people ever at all:rolleyes:.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 08:30 ----------

I feel it is 51.9% of the population who voted for Brexit and who, for the most part, when really pushed on the reasoning, end up admitting its because they think there are too many people who look and sound foreign, or refuse to admit that pretty much everything they thought they knew about the Eu is a pack of lies.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 08:33 ----------

Given the general denial of actual facts and wanton ignorance shown by brexit voters, I sincerely believe that you don't believe those figures.

Just to be clear it was 51.9% of those that voted. When those who it is convenient to do so band around 'the will of the people', it really isn't as clear cut as they would have us believe.

Fair play to Farage, if he's being genuine abut 2nd referendum - lets see where that takes us.

Re: overseas students - thanks for the financial boost you bring the city, and all the ace restaurants I get to eat at which have sprung up because you're here. I've yet to meet a rude or ignorant foreign student and if poor road safety/queuing or trolley driving is the worst they bring - lets get some more over here!!

Angel1.

Like it or not, the campaign leading up to the referendum and the post-result period has led to a steep rise in hate crimes against foreigners - up well over 100% since 2015. It has brought out the nasty side of people, has turned large parts of the country into places which foreigners should stay well away from, and this is shameful. We saw this brain-dead idiocy in full bloom on that Question Time from Barnsley, which made us look like a nation of backward, foreigner-hating moronic hicks. Those who wanted Brexit are responsible for that - Brexiteers, the Brexit-supporting press and media, prominent Brexit cheerleaders and Brexit politicians. A Labour MP was murdered in cold blood because of this.

Edited by pss60

Too bad the referendum and the government's handling of it frightened them off, and the government is busy adding insult to injury.

In that context, Sheffield's pro-Brexit overall vote reminds me of all these Sunderland car makers, Grimsby fishmongers, <etc.> voting for Brexit :twisted:

And tell me please, how has Brexit frightened the Chinese? Which is where most of our international students live?

On the contrary, the falling pound has made our courses and the cost of living here considerably cheaper and more attractive for ALL non-EU students and I'm sure will see even more of them coming.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 11:01 ----------

Like it or not, the campaign leading up to the referendum and the post-result period has led to a steep rise in hate crimes against foreigners - up well over 100% since 2015. It has brought out the nasty side of people, has turned large parts of the country into places which foreigners should stay well away from, and this is shameful. We saw this brain-dead idiocy in full bloom on that Question Time from Barnsley, which made us look like a nation of backward, foreigner-hating moronic hicks. Those who wanted Brexit are responsible for that - Brexiteers, the Brexit-supporting press and media, prominent Brexit cheerleaders and Brexit politicians. A Labour MP was murdered in cold blood because of this.

This is absolute rubbish. There was a spike in reporting via one method (online) which can quite possibly be put down to post referendum hysteria as there was not a corresponding rise in convictions.

Even if it was a genuine spike, the police where very clear it was no different to those seen after other major national events and died down to normal levels very quickly. So your presentation of this as some sort of sustained epidemic is absolute nonsense.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 11:20 ----------

B-b-but Farage, Johnson and the rest of the crazy xenophobic Brexiteers don't want them here.:loopy:

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 13:57 ----------

Look who essentially voted for Brexit - the elderly and those without academic qualifications - a bitter cocktail of xenophobia and envy with mind-blowing stupidity thrown in for good measure.

I voted out. I love our overseas students and think they bring great benefits to our city. I also think Chinese investment in our city is doing great things. I'm really pleased that the drop in the pound will have made us even more attractive as a study destination and I hope our future trade deals mean we will be even more attractive to the Chinese and other countries as an investment proposition.