Stocksbridge bus service. Why so dire?

It is definitely worth investing in a pair of winter tyres. Best thing I ever did.

Do they make a massive difference? I hate driving on ice, and I have to go down a hill both ways to get to the main road.

The purpose of bus companies is to maximise profits for shareholders. If they don't do that they go out of business.

Society doesn't exist. It's dog eat dog, shaft thy neighbour, Brexit austerity Britain. Get used to it.

The 57 has been reduced and reduced due to lack of patronage. If it isn’t commercially viable then it won’t run. It really is that simple, so no there is no demand.

Think yourself lucky though, I live in Thurgoland and we have two buses a day to Sheffield!

Well as you are in Thurgoland, Barnsley you'd have a regular service to Barnsley Town Centre I'd assume.

But, fwiw there is a hourly service going thro Thurgoland to Sheffield on the old Sheffield Halifax Run ..... does it just go to Holmfirth or some place these days??

---------- Post added 21-09-2017 at 12:51 ----------

They ought to re open the rail line via Stocksbridge ... one day soon

Edited by WestTinsley

Do you fit/remove them from your wheels yourself with your tyre changing machine and wheel balancer?

Err... no. I had the set on my previous car on a separate pair of alloys. For this car I just take them to Penistone Tyres where he swaps them over twice a year for me for a pretty reasonable price.

---------- Post added 21-09-2017 at 14:31 ----------

Do they make a massive difference? I hate driving on ice, and I have to go down a hill both ways to get to the main road.

A big difference. A few years ago I was driving through Hood Green and the cars in front of me were Alisong all over trying to get around the bend prior to stainborough Hill, I just pulled around them, straight past them as if the road was dry and snow free.

---------- Post added 21-09-2017 at 14:33 ----------

Well as you are in Thurgoland, Barnsley you'd have a regular service to Barnsley Town Centre I'd assume.

But, fwiw there is a hourly service going thro Thurgoland to Sheffield on the old Sheffield Halifax Run ..... does it just go to Holmfirth or some place these days??

---------- Post added 21-09-2017 at 12:51 ----------

They ought to re open the rail line via Stocksbridge ... one day soon

There’s another post of mine further down which elaborates.

We have:

- the 29 TM Travel service which goes twice daily into Sheffield Centre, the rest of the day it terminates at Chapeltown and runs every two hours.

- a service to Barnsley which runs every two hours

- a service to Stocksbridge every two hours.

The last two are run by Yorkshire Tiger and are about as reliable as Tates were.

I'm quite happy catching the SL and changing onto the tram - i'm not 'forced'..i much prefer the tram to the bus.

Simple economics show that there's not enough people using the 57 to make it viable - the old adage- lose it or lose it.

We were warned years ago about this when deregulation occured.

I thought First ditched the contract years ago as it wasn't viable hence why Stagecoach took over.

]

There’s another post of mine further down which elaborates.

We have:

- the 29 TM Travel service which goes twice daily into Sheffield Centre, the rest of the day it terminates at Chapeltown and runs every two hours.

- a service to Barnsley which runs every two hours

- a service to Stocksbridge every two hours.

The last two are run by Yorkshire Tiger and are about as reliable as Tates were.

Wow. I've just seen the timetable. They've decimated that bus service ..quite recent I guess

IF sycc was in operation prior to Maggie's axe I'm sure there'd be a much better service for that neck of the woods...

But it is still an increase and these pennies all add up. CityBus also not valid so you need to buy a CityWide ticket due to changing onto the tram.

The main point still remains would people prefer a bus through to the city centre, without the need to change (like the 57/58 used to provide) even if less frequent, or a bus and tram with no guaranteed connection meaning as a bus pulls in, the tram pulls out like what usually happens and you're stuck at Middlewood waiting for anything upto 10 minutes on a good day.

The current Citywide and Stagecoach bus & tram Megarider are both cheaper than First used to charge when they ran the 57.

Guest busdriver1
I'm quite happy catching the SL and changing onto the tram - i'm not 'forced'..i much prefer the tram to the bus.

Simple economics show that there's not enough people using the 57 to make it viable - the old adage- lose it or lose it.

I thought First ditched the contract years ago as it wasn't viable hence why Stagecoach took over.

Not quite how it happened. There is no contract for the 57 it is a commercial service.

It used to be a very busy and popular service then Stagecoach launched to tram feeder buses and undermined it. At the start of the Sheffield bus agreement First turned the tables on Stagecoach and said "If you want it, have it" as it had been decided that it should stay.

This put stagecoach in the embarrassing position of having to run a service they had set out to destroy but are obliged to run as it still serves a need.

Classic case of the biter being bitten.

Not quite how it happened. There is no contract for the 57 it is a commercial service.

It used to be a very busy and popular service then Stagecoach launched to tram feeder buses and undermined it. At the start of the Sheffield bus agreement First turned the tables on Stagecoach and said "If you want it, have it" as it had been decided that it should stay.

This put stagecoach in the embarrassing position of having to run a service they had set out to destroy but are obliged to run as it still serves a need.

Classic case of the biter being bitten.

Only commercial mon-sat daytime. The evening and Sunday service on 57/57a is tendered as is SL1/SL1a in the evening.

But yes, First pulled out of Stocksbridge as it wasn't commercially viable, same reason Stagecoach have reduced the 57 off peak.

The tram link bus only going to Middlewood means a more frequent service can be offered with the number of buses and drivers allocated. It has also meant the reasonable Sheffield day/week ticket prices have been able to be offered on it.

Edited by Andy C

Why would you want to get the 57 in to town? I was forced to recently due to having my dog with me and it was awful and took about 100 years to get there.

Getting the SL and the tram is much better and quicker.

I always used to catch the 57 at 6.30 each morning but it now goes at 6.10. Well its supposed to, I don't think its turned up before 20 past yet. I don't know why its so late every day when there's not much traffic at that time. I get the tram bus back to middle wood where 3 or 4 days out of 5 the tram leaves just as the bus is pulling in to the stop.

Only commercial mon-sat daytime. The evening and Sunday service on 57/57a is tendered as is SL1/SL1a in the evening.

But yes, First pulled out of Stocksbridge as it wasn't commercially viable, same reason Stagecoach have reduced the 57 off peak.

The tram link bus only going to Middlewood means a more frequent service can be offered with the number of buses and drivers allocated. It has also meant the reasonable Sheffield day/week ticket prices have been able to be offered on it.

So why are people in Stocksbridge and Deepcar [etc.,] not pleased about their bus services??

Do SYPTE have any power these days or is it all down to the First and Stagecoach bus conglomerates??

Seems to be all about lining big businesses pockets and to hell with public services for your average folk